Friend invited me to go fishing

I've see folks use those rigs but it just looks like a lost rod waiting to happen. You get a 30#-40# bruiser carp on the end and those reel "stops" don't look like they would hold.

I use a length of 550 cord tied to the reel base with a loop on the end I place around a stick I drive down into the bank at a rearward angle....It has saved me many a "tragic bank accident" for both carp and big cats. ;)

We always used a PVC pipe cut at a sharp angle and driven in the ground.
It's also great for surf fishing.

I couldnt tell you how many of those little bells I've lost over the years.
Of course most of our catfish fishing is done at night and when you set the hook the bell goes flying into the woods never to be seen again.

I've found that when a catfish hits the bait, it hits it pretty hard. I pull the bell off before I set the hook

I've see folks use those rigs but it just looks like a lost rod waiting to happen. You get a 30#-40# bruiser carp on the end and those reel "stops" don't look like they would hold.

I use a length of 550 cord tied to the reel base with a loop on the end I place around a stick I drive down into the bank at a rearward angle....It has saved me many a "tragic bank accident" for both carp and big cats. ;)
I thought the same thing. I just figured they were after smaller fish.

I usually have a loop of mule tape (flat nylon cord with an 1800 lb breaking point) draped over the reel.

Also, as I said, I have my rods tilted up, so the fish isn't pulling it straight out. When a 25 pound blue cat hits it, all it will do it bend the rod a bit. A 35 lb or bigger will make it bow a bit. The biggest I have caught is 52 lbs. The rod pointed straight to the water.

I hate to say it, but this guy has a good eating sized catfish ...

Untitled-design-72-945x1024.jpg

And shoot ... Seriously ... If you have a boat you can catch them with an empty plastic coke bottle
painted florescent orange, about three feet of line, a good hook, and bream for bait.

Most of my catfish fishing has been on the Tennessee River. I can usually find dirt between rocks that will hold it tight.
On my property along the Shenandoah River (main branch) it's mostly sand/rock but no real bank at all.....It just gently slopes down into the river.

I drove a couple 14" angle-iron trapping spikes and in there since I fish in the same place all the time. LOL....They have been there for at least 10-12 years. I just prop the poles on a couple up-ended cinder blocks I have down there for the purpose. I just lay a shop rag across the top to keep them from scaring the poles.

I've never fished a day in my life.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I do however love this conversation that took place during the mid 90s film named Little Big League.

Boy #1-I hate fishing.
Boy #2-I love it. It relaxes me.
Boy #1-We've been doing this for two years and we haven't caught one fish.
Boy #3-Maybe this isn't even fishing.
Boy #1-What do you mean?
Boy #3-Maybe it isn't fishing until you catch something.
Boy #1-Well then what are we doing?

I like fresh fish but I dont catch them myself. Fresh salmon at the grocery store is farm salmon. Avoid farm fish theyre madeof toxins.

I like fresh fish but I dont catch them myself. Fresh salmon at the grocery store is farm salmon. Avoid farm fish theyre madeof toxins.

I don't have the opportunity to fish for salmon. But I do prefer wild caught to farm catfish. But it all depends on the waters I fish. The TN River is not great. Fish & Game recommends that you eat catfish from the TN River no more than 3 times a month. In other words, a little poison won't kill you.

You, of all the people on these forums, should be going fishing. Catching fish is a by-product. Getting out in nature, and focusing on a pleasurable activity is the main point. Take lessons and learn to fly fish.
It depends on what a person's nature is and what they prefer. Some people, like myself, consider fishing boring. Even staying in one place at the riverside for more than one day long isn't ok also.

Forum List

Back