French Wine?

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
I have a delimma - I love wine, in fact worked a bit in the wine industry. However, I have a personal conviction that I will not, under any circumstance, buy French wine.

The potential issue is that next week I'll be in San Francisco, going out to dinner with a buddy who lived in Europe for five years (he's an American), who'll be bringing some wines from his personal cellar to dinner - one at least is french.

Is it going against my standards if I partake of french wine he bought years ago? Does that violate my own convictions if I'm technically still not buying it?

Thoughts?

-Cp said:
I have a delimma - I love wine, in fact worked a bit in the wine industry. However, I have a personal conviction that I will not, under any circumstance, buy French wine.

The potential issue is that next week I'll be in San Francisco, going out to dinner with a buddy who lived in Europe for five years (he's an American), who'll be bringing some wines from his personal cellar to dinner - one at least is french.

Is it going against my standards if I partake of french wine he bought years ago? Does that violate my own convictions if I'm technically still not buying it?

Thoughts?

Hmmmmm you could drink it and then bitch about Chirac after you got a buzz ?

Why aren't you buying french wine? I think you said something about not wanting to suppor their economy or something? Drinking something another has purchased isn't supporting the French Economy; it's supporting your 'friend' ;) Relationships are more important than politics, imo.

-=d=- said:
Why aren't you buying french wine? I think you said something about not wanting to suppor their economy or something? Drinking something another has purchased isn't supporting the French Economy; it's supporting your 'friend' ;) Relationships are more important than politics, imo.

Agreed... you didn't buy it, so no need to worry about supporting those weenie French people.

Although, you know, between California wine and Wisconsin cheese, we should feel pretty foolish about bailing out the French twice...

gop_jeff said:
Agreed... you didn't buy it, so no need to worry about supporting those weenie French people.

Although, you know, between California wine and Wisconsin cheese, we should feel pretty foolish about bailing out the French twice...

Agreed - but even more so, Washington Wine... :)

The reds are far more consistantly good over California as Columbia Valley (WA) gets far less rain than Napa so the grape growers get to control the water (moisture) a lot more consistantly than the growers in Napa.... :)

-=d=- said:

I don't buy any french-made products (knowingly), as I believe a boycott on their products will hurt their economy and send a clear message to their government that we don't appreciated their lack of support for the USA and their blatant support for Saddam...

Unless you're buying something directly from France, you're not giving them YOUR money.. The retailer you purchased from has already paid for the product themselves.. You're paying the retailer.

If you're drinking your friends wine, he will just end up purchasing more from a retailer who has already purchased it from France..

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, IMO.

And I'm not giving up my coffee pot.

Shattered said:
Unless you're buying something directly from France, you're not giving them YOUR money.. The retailer you purchased from has already paid for the product themselves.. You're paying the retailer.

If you're drinking your friends wine, he will just end up purchasing more from a retailer who has already purchased it from France..

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, IMO.

And I'm not giving up my coffee pot.

That's not true - when you buy a french made product, it creates demand for them which means the retailer you're buying them from is ultimately giving their money to someone iin France. i.e. your money ends up supporting their economy.

My friend won't end-up buying more of this french wine as he bought it directly from the wineries in France when he lived there.

-Cp said:
I don't buy any french-made products (knowingly), as I believe a boycott on their products will hurt their economy and send a clear message to their government that we don't appreciated their lack of support for the USA and their blatant support for Saddam...

Right.

Since your friend won't buy MORE...you're off the hook.. Drink and enjoy.

I say you have no choice but to go and burn his house down because there is French Wine there. I mean, we can't have your friends buying this stuff, even years before.

Seriously, Drink the wine. It wasn't purchased since the boycott and he is not offering it to you as an insult or directly in opposition to your position.

-Cp said:
Agreed - but even more so, Washington Wine... :)

The reds are far more consistantly good over California as Columbia Valley (WA) gets far less rain than Napa so the grape growers get to control the water (moisture) a lot more consistantly than the growers in Napa.... :)

I agree, I enjoy WA wines a lot. Question for you: I buy Columbia Crest wines (Cabernet and/or Merlot) at Safeway. Am I missing the boat? Is there something better (in the $15/bottle or less category) that I should look for?

gop_jeff said:
I agree, I enjoy WA wines a lot. Question for you: I buy Columbia Crest wines (Cabernet and/or Merlot) at Safeway. Am I missing the boat? Is there something better (in the $15/bottle or less category) that I should look for?

Nice thing about Columbia Crest is that they make a very consistent bottle for the price - in fact, for one of the largest wineries in the state they seem to have it down to a science.

Here are a few of my favs under $15:
Colvin Merlot 2000 or 2001 - $14.99 @ Costco
Magnificent Wine Co. "Red table Wine" - $7.99 @ Costco
Magnificent Wine Co. "House Wine" - $9.99 @ wine shops
Seghesio Zinfandel - $12.99 @ Sam's Club
Snoqualmie Merlot - $8.99 @ most grocery stores
Snoqualmie Syrah - $8.99 @ most grocery stores
Waterbrook Melange - $12.99 @ Top Foods
Silver Lake Cabernet Sav. 1998 (if you can find 98's) - $12.99
Bernard Griffen Cab Sauv (any vintage) - $13.00
Bernard Griffen Syrah (any vintage) - $13.00

Hope that helps - if you'd like more, let me know...

gop_jeff said:

I just bought a bunch of Columbia Crest Merlot for 6.99 a bottle at Costco.

If you want another nice Merlot in that price range, try Clos Du Bois (Napa) -- it's 9.99 at Costco. My other favorite Napa merlot is V Sattui:

http://www.vsattui.com/show/xmlsite...t_id-njnccpincjemedepnfmfgeblfmlhdlebgldopeha

A

You could always swirl it around in your glass, comment on the nice varietals avaialble in the states, let the wine breathe for awhile...dip your nose into the glass to absorb the bouquet

Swirl again, and exclaim your approval of the "legs."

And finally one last swirl before taking a slurping sip to continue to aerate the libation before spraying it across the room in disapproval for effect!

Really, though, just enjoy it, you did not buy it, so it would not be going against your convictions, in my opinion.

Fmr jarhead said:
You could always swirl it around in your glass, comment on the nice varietals avaialble in the states, let the wine breathe for awhile...dip your nose into the glass to absorb the bouquet

Swirl again, and exclaim your approval of the "legs."

And finally one last swirl before taking a slurping sip to continue to aerate the libation before spraying it across the room in disapproval for effect!

Really, though, just enjoy it, you did not buy it, so it would not be going against your convictions, in my opinion.

And don't forget to blow bubbles in the wine when you dip your nose in and add gagging sounds when you spit the wine across the room. This is when you should raise your arms and declare his house condemned and his line cursed forever because he bought French wine.

The timing is everything....

:thup:

Has anyone seen the movie Sideways, yet?

Thomas Haden Church's character...."hmmmm....tastes good to me!" to every glass of wine he is put in front of....

Kind of a quirky movie...I had to watch it...I was stuck on an airplane!

For the trailer: Sideways

What wine would you reccomend for someone who doesn't drink or doesn't particularly like the 'wine' taste? I've tried expensive champagne and local bar wine. I did try a rapsberry zin that was palatable to me, at a wedding (we were working) about 4 years ago but have never been able to find it. It alway looks so inviting, and there are times when I'd like to appear grown up & sociable.

Pinoit Grigios can be very nice and "light" with some subtle fruity nuances....

Very good....I am sure some other wine snobs...errrr experts will give you some good tips.

I do not care too much for zin or merlots, but I do like a good cabernet or syrah.

Syrahs from S Africa and Australia are usually what I search for....and I usually pick a wine by the following:

1) Cost...not the cheapest, nor the most expensive
2) How deep is the dimple on the bottom of the bottle (the deeper the better
3) The label...the stranger, the better!

Now, I am by no means a wine expert...but the above guidelines have worked for me, so far.

REal wine experts are going to lambast me, now, but I stand by my guidelines with stiff back, and half crocked demeanor!

Fmr jarhead said:
Pinoit Grigios can be very nice and "light" with some subtle fruity nuances....but I stand by my guidelines with stiff back, and half crocked demeanor!
A big Thank You!

Forum List

Back