French Wine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -Cp, Feb 23, 2005.

1. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    I have a delimma - I love wine, in fact worked a bit in the wine industry. However, I have a personal conviction that I will not, under any circumstance, buy French wine.

The potential issue is that next week I'll be in San Francisco, going out to dinner with a buddy who lived in Europe for five years (he's an American), who'll be bringing some wines from his personal cellar to dinner - one at least is french.

Is it going against my standards if I partake of french wine he bought years ago? Does that violate my own convictions if I'm technically still not buying it?

Thoughts?

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Hmmmmm you could drink it and then bitch about Chirac after you got a buzz ?

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Why aren't you buying french wine? I think you said something about not wanting to suppor their economy or something? Drinking something another has purchased isn't supporting the French Economy; it's supporting your 'friend' ;) Relationships are more important than politics, imo.

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Agreed... you didn't buy it, so no need to worry about supporting those weenie French people.

Although, you know, between California wine and Wisconsin cheese, we should feel pretty foolish about bailing out the French twice...

5. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363

Agreed - but even more so, Washington Wine... :)

The reds are far more consistantly good over California as Columbia Valley (WA) gets far less rain than Napa so the grape growers get to control the water (moisture) a lot more consistantly than the growers in Napa.... :)

6. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    I don't buy any french-made products (knowingly), as I believe a boycott on their products will hurt their economy and send a clear message to their government that we don't appreciated their lack of support for the USA and their blatant support for Saddam...

7. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you're buying something directly from France, you're not giving them YOUR money.. The retailer you purchased from has already paid for the product themselves.. You're paying the retailer.

If you're drinking your friends wine, he will just end up purchasing more from a retailer who has already purchased it from France..

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, IMO.

And I'm not giving up my coffee pot.

8. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    That's not true - when you buy a french made product, it creates demand for them which means the retailer you're buying them from is ultimately giving their money to someone iin France. i.e. your money ends up supporting their economy.

My friend won't end-up buying more of this french wine as he bought it directly from the wineries in France when he lived there.

9. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Right.

Since your friend won't buy MORE...you're off the hook.. Drink and enjoy.

10. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I say you have no choice but to go and burn his house down because there is French Wine there. I mean, we can't have your friends buying this stuff, even years before.

Seriously, Drink the wine. It wasn't purchased since the boycott and he is not offering it to you as an insult or directly in opposition to your position.