Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

Actually, you've never lost your job for stating your religious opinions. Big difference there, mister.

Really!? That's a relief. say when do I get home from the doc on this Friday.

Drop the sarcasm, Moonie. I doubt you have any idea what it's like to be terminated wrongly for having any opinions regarding religion or the acceptance thereof OUTSIDE of the workplace..

He was off the job. I've never even heard of a contract that limits your religious speech OFF the job,

If there ever were such a thing, it would be null, void and unenforceable.

Robertson was giving an interview to GQ was asked about and stated his OPINION on sin. He started listing OTHER sins after he mentioned homosexuality. He did NOT compare Bestiality to Homosexuality, it was one of the sins LISTED.

A good lawyer and they're gonna OWN A&E Network.

They fucked up, and in a big way. No way they can show that his statements did any harm to the Network. Can't be done. THAT'S what's in his contract.

You can't control someone 24/7/365 by contract. You can't limit a person's Constitutional Rights by Contract.

You just can't do it. And A&E is about to find that out.... The hard way

I've worked with companies that restrict your ability to compete against the very company you work with, even after several years not being employed.

So you think you know this without reading his contract with A&E?

Anything that breaches his right to free speech and religion is unconstitutional.

Have you read his contract?

You can't limit a person's Constitutional Rights by contract. Can't do it.

If you work for me and part of the contract says I can fire you for going to a certain Church, guess what?

The whole contract is shit. Unenforceable.

If I work for you and you put a clause in the contract that says you can shoot me with a gun if I break Company rules and you do it... Guess what?

You're going to prison for the rest of your life.

Contracts are only as enforceable as the law allows. And the law doesn't allow for limiting a person's freedom of religion and freedom of speech OFF the job.

LZ Granderson

The Federal Communications Commission did not send officials into the office of Nancy Dubuc, president of A&E Networks. The FBI did not threaten to put Robertson away, and the Internal Revenue Service didn't freeze his bank accounts.

This is what the First Amendment protects us from -- laws being made that restrict freedom of religion, the press and/or speech. It does not protect us from how society responds to the expression of one's religion, the press or speech.

Robertson's boss punished him for his remarks. The government didn't.

Now for those out of the loop, Robertson -- a 67-year-old Louisiana native and a star of "Duck Dynasty" who holds a master's in education -- said, "I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person," and the black people he worked with "were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

He also compared homosexuality to bestiality and quoted a Bible verse that essentially said anyone who is an adulterer -- which according to Matthew 5:32, includes "anyone who marries a divorced woman" -- is going to hell.

There's a lot to chew on in the interview. (To his credit, Robertson issued somewhat of a mea culpa which, in part, read, "We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.")

Opinion: 'Duck Dynasty' star's free speech rights weren't violated - CNN.com

I've worked with companies that restrict your ability to compete against the very company you work with, even after several years not being employed.

Yup. Called a 'non-compete clause' Mine was ironclad and they'd sue your ass off in a heart beat.... And win.

Whole different ballgame.

My kid had a non-compete in his contract with a High End Restaurant he managed and when he quit, the owner tried to scare him with it.

I told him it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. It wasn't.

Contracts aren't what you think. Most of them are shit.

LZ Granderson

The Federal Communications Commission did not send officials into the office of Nancy Dubuc, president of A&E Networks. The FBI did not threaten to put Robertson away, and the Internal Revenue Service didn't freeze his bank accounts.

This is what the First Amendment protects us from -- laws being made that restrict freedom of religion, the press and/or speech. It does not protect us from how society responds to the expression of one's religion, the press or speech.

Now for those out of the loop, Robertson -- a 67-year-old Louisiana native and a star of "Duck Dynasty" who holds a master's in education -- said, "I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person," and the black people he worked with "were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

He also compared homosexuality to bestiality and quoted a Bible verse that essentially said anyone who is an adulterer -- which according to Matthew 5:32, includes "anyone who marries a divorced woman" -- is going to hell.

There's a lot to chew on in the interview. (To his credit, Robertson issued somewhat of a mea culpa which, in part, read, "We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.")

What the FUCK would you expect the Commie News Network to say?

They're worse than useless

Yup. Called a 'non-compete clause' Mine was ironclad and they'd sue your ass off in a heart beat.... And win.

Whole different ballgame.

My kid had a non-compete in his contract with a High End Restaurant he managed and when he quit, the owner tried to scare him with it.

I told him it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. It wasn't.

Contracts aren't what you think. Most of them are shit.

Only cause the originator of the contract did not take issue, but if you do sign a contract there are ways to get out. 3 ways that I learned studying law, specifically contracts.

LZ Granderson

What the FUCK would you expect the Commie News Network to say?

They're worse than useless

So you think that CNN is a govt. run media outlet. Sure buddy, sure.

Yeah. I've lost jobs opening my big mouth also. No biggie.

Actually, you've never lost your job for stating your religious opinions. Big difference there, mister.

You are hiding behind this because you will use 1st amendment rights as your back up. Phil is on a show on a&e. Therefore he has an image. A&e have the right to protect their image.
You know how you guys are always screaming about capitalism, personal responsibility, and such.....

Oh thats only when it suits your personal needs.

No matter how you look at it, A&E handled this in a very ham-handed way and it is going to cost them a lot of money. And I mean a LOT of money.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the CEO of A&E looking for a job as a girl Friday soon.

Most popular cable show IN HISTORY--EVER, and this ditsy bitch couldn't find a better way to handle it?

At the very least, they'll have to release the rest of the people in the show and they'll be able to sign with another network... For a LOT more money.

A&E just fucked themselves out of a lot of money. I hope they think it was worth it.

morons

I wrote A&E this morning informing them that if they continued with their plans to cut Phil from the show, I would boycott every program on their network as well as their affiliated networks except Duck Dynasty.

I want to keep their ratings up and let the rest of shows ratings tank.

Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

Not for any of us in an employee setting.

I wrote A&E this morning informing them that if they continued with their plans to cut Phil from the show, I would boycott every program on their network as well as their affiliated networks except Duck Dynasty.

I would imagine a number of emails like yours has been sent.

I boycott the alphabet media completely. If a show is good enough, it will come around as re-runs on a cable network. If it isn't, I ain't interested anyway.

As to football? I either watch NFLNetwork's RedZone channel or if it's my favorite team and they're on, I'm forced to watch them on the DISGUSTING FILTH of the LSM channel.

But that's it.

And you know what? I'm not missing a thing. Fuck them.

Forum List

Back