Free Trader Paul Krugman Admits Failure of Globalization for American Workers: ‘Major Mistake’

Government has a long history of being bad at managing an economy, I think you are wrong if you think they can do a good job of managing trade. Just another thing that will lead to more corruption. Free trade is controlled by markets and can’t be corrupted.

I think the Government sucks at it too. The results of these agreements makes that pretty obvious, but they're the ones that can actually negotiate these things, so their involvement is unavoidable.

Corporations are no better and the nexus of these special interests and Government is not a good one for American workers.
So a trade war and agreements are likely to make things worse. The changes I suggest should only make things better.

In a perfect world we could do those things. Other nations or special interests right here in the US are not going to make concessions on anything they are not pressured to give up.
The workers need to provide the pressure. As long as they are blaming China nothing will happen.

They don't have the leverage to do it.
They could. It’s far more likely than protectionist policy working.

As if the goal of the globalist merchant class was ever anything other than the destruction of the American worker.

As if the goal of the globalist merchant class was ever anything other than the destruction of the American worker.
I would assume republicans pushed it as part of their war on unions. But if unions had stayed strong here our jobs would still be fine regardless of trade. We have the wealth and jobs now.

Yes, died. Are you going to fucking ask me how economic pain and job losses, means people died? Are you going to be that fucking dishonest?
You are quite the drama queen today. You better go relax. People lose jobs all the time and not for trade reasons.

And once again, you dodge the question, and just move on to your next attack.

That seems to be the core of what you have. Willy.
You are claiming people died. I pointed out that people lose their jobs all the time. If people can't deal with it, it's not the fault of trade. It is capitalism.

Because of his mistakes. Funny, how you missed that. Twice. ANd instead just moved on to your next attack.

Wally was human enough to give an "ok" before moving on to his next attack.

You are Willy. Worse than Wally.

6a00d83451c0aa69e20240a4735569200c-800wi
No company started trading because of Krugman. They did it to increase profits, it’s capitalism.

Yeah, nothing I said justified that response.

You are quite the drama queen today. You better go relax. People lose jobs all the time and not for trade reasons.

You are claiming people died. I pointed out that people lose their jobs all the time. If people can't deal with it, it's not the fault of trade. It is capitalism.

Because of his mistakes. Funny, how you missed that. Twice. ANd instead just moved on to your next attack.

No company started trading because of Krugman. They did it to increase profits, it’s capitalism.

You were blaming Krugman. It’s just capitalism.

I think the Government sucks at it too. The results of these agreements makes that pretty obvious, but they're the ones that can actually negotiate these things, so their involvement is unavoidable.

Corporations are no better and the nexus of these special interests and Government is not a good one for American workers.
So a trade war and agreements are likely to make things worse. The changes I suggest should only make things better.

In a perfect world we could do those things. Other nations or special interests right here in the US are not going to make concessions on anything they are not pressured to give up.
The workers need to provide the pressure. As long as they are blaming China nothing will happen.

Not particularly likely, IMO.

It is something for debate. Right now the right seems happy with growing inequality and poor wages. Workers need to unite and say to hell with the political parties.

Krugman was an major economists, like you cited, that supported the economic theory of Free Trade.

They held to that theory, even in the face of mounting evidence it was not working as expected, for decades.

He now admits that, decades after the fact.

What should have happened, was when Patrick Buchanan ran in 1992, people like him, should have admitted that the results were not what were expected, we should have had this conversation,

well not THIS conversation, but a real debate about why that was, one where someone playing Willy games was shouted down for being a ideological jerk.

We should have had a conversation about the policy, the theory behind it, compared to the actual results we were getting.

And we should have adjusted accordingly in early 90s.

Krugman is partially responsible for the economic harm caused by his theories over the last 30 years.

Such "Free Trade" is not an inherent part of capitalism.

That was just you using buzzwords, to dismiss a point. Willy.

We move more manufacturing BACK here, we restrict the importation of cheap labor, we end up giving leverage to the workers.

Krugman was an major economists, like you cited, that supported the economic theory of Free Trade.

They held to that theory, even in the face of mounting evidence it was not working as expected, for decades.

He now admits that, decades after the fact.

What should have happened, was when Patrick Buchanan ran in 1992, people like him, should have admitted that the results were not what were expected, we should have had this conversation,

well not THIS conversation, but a real debate about why that was, one where someone playing Willy games was shouted down for being a ideological jerk.

We should have had a conversation about the policy, the theory behind it, compared to the actual results we were getting.

And we should have adjusted accordingly in early 90s.

Krugman is partially responsible for the economic harm caused by his theories over the last 30 years.

Such "Free Trade" is not an inherent part of capitalism.

That was just you using buzzwords, to dismiss a point. Willy.
What Krugman is talking about didn’t even happen till after 1992.

We move more manufacturing BACK here, we restrict the importation of cheap labor, we end up giving leverage to the workers.
Yeah more success like the steel layoffs?

Forum List

Back