France faces drought, locusts

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Gee - Couldn't have happened to a "nice bunch" of folks...:D

On top of a severe drought, France is fighting a plague of hundreds of thousands of locusts.
The locusts are devouring everything from crops to window-box flowers, reported the Observer.
"At the beginning they seem small, insignificant insects but they grow very quickly," said Aveyron region farmer Gerard Laussel. "They eat everything that is green, leaving only stalks, and when they have finished they leave some kind of scent so the cattle do not want to graze on what is left."
The French environment ministry said drought could be felt across most of France, but it mostly impacted from the Atlantic Ocean to Paris.
"There is nothing we can do for the 700 or 800 farmers affected," said Patrice Lemoux, an agriculture official. "The locust has no known predator and the only insecticides which might make a difference are banned."

http://www.washtimes.com/upi/20050717-092844-7410r.htm

-Cp said:

On top of a severe drought, France is fighting a plague of hundreds of thousands of locusts.
The locusts are devouring everything from crops to window-box flowers, reported the Observer.
"At the beginning they seem small, insignificant insects but they grow very quickly," said Aveyron region farmer Gerard Laussel. "They eat everything that is green, leaving only stalks, and when they have finished they leave some kind of scent so the cattle do not want to graze on what is left."
The French environment ministry said drought could be felt across most of France, but it mostly impacted from the Atlantic Ocean to Paris.
"There is nothing we can do for the 700 or 800 farmers affected," said Patrice Lemoux, an agriculture official. "The locust has no known predator and the only insecticides which might make a difference are banned."

Obviously the French have not tried to understand the poor locusts....and since they have not done that, they cannot negotiate effectively with them....I guess they have no option now but to appease and capitulate....

• Thanks
Reactions: -Cp
CSM said:
Obviously the French have not tried to understand the poor locusts....and since they have not done that, they cannot negotiate effectively with them....I guess they have no option now but to appease and capitulate....

LOL - Nice one! :)

-Cp said:

Ha! The French won't use a pesticide known to kill locusts, so they just let them go wild instead. That's a government for the people, eh? :rolleyes:

-Cp said:

When I read this, I was reminded of the movie "The 10 Commandments"

I guess it's Divine retribution on the French (well, Chirac and his crew anyway).... Chirac has the attitude of the Pharaoh, too.

Chirac I ... Son of Horus!!!!

now all we need is for the Seine to turn to blood (I'd say something about the firstborn dying.... but then I'd be accused of being vindictive)....

CSM said:

ha ha ha........

I will be fait, nice joke ;)

Wrong idea but nice joke.

It's better toi do this thing than to send a couple of F-16 with Napalm bombs to sterilize to region and annihilate all trhe living beeings :D :D

If the governement do'nt use the known insecticide, they said it, it's ecause it is a forbidden insecticide.
Why ? probably because it's a very bad product for the environnement. Then, if it would be used, the consequences for the environnement, the trees, the animals....could be very very tragic.

(and don't forget : the insects become always more resistant, so, people has to use stronger product, but the insects become stronger, and then, vicious circle.)

padisha emperor said:
ha ha ha........

I will be fait, nice joke ;)

Wrong idea but nice joke.

It's better toi do this thing than to send a couple of F-16 with Napalm bombs to sterilize to region and annihilate all trhe living beeings :D :D

If the governement do'nt use the known insecticide, they said it, it's ecause it is a forbidden insecticide.
Why ? probably because it's a very bad product for the environnement. Then, if it would be used, the consequences for the environnement, the trees, the animals....could be very very tragic.

(and don't forget : the insects become always more resistant, so, people has to use stronger product, but the insects become stronger, and then, vicious circle.)

I'm sure that the French farmers will disagree with you. The insecticide probably is dangerous, if you bathe in it every day for 50 years.
Who forbade the use of the insecticide? Probably some bureaucrat in Paris, who never set foot on a farm and can't tell the difference between a rooster and a goat. The same thing happens here, the government interferes too much with the everyday lives of people.

Many times these things are banned more for political reasons than for the good of the world. For instance, the banning of Freon (a substance that is used in refrigerators and in air conditioners) because of "environmental concerns" was politically motivated. It turns out that DuPont's patent on the stuff was due to expire and they wanted to market something else of their's instead. Apparently, everyone in the refrigeration and cooling business knows about this.

Forum List

Back