Fracking causes... earthquakes???

Methane migration happens naturally, but drilling and fracking speed up the process.

Two different sources of methane. Most of the methane you see causing fire in faucets is shallow methane from recent biological degradation. Its usually an indicator of a bad water well on your property.

The Methane included in natural gas pockets is "old" methane, and it would take a hell of a leak from a well shaft to saturate an aquifier enough to cause flamability.

Methane migration happens naturally, but drilling and fracking speed up the process.

Other then your opinion you have any proof of this or even a link?

If gas started coming from my water line I would be installing a gas furnace the next day and thank my lucky stars. But, it just doesn't happen with fracking that is way underground.

Small chance, but nonzero probability.

Most of the earthquakes at the Salton Sea geothermal field are tiny, but there is "a very small probability, extremely small but nonzero probability, of triggering the 'big one'" on the San Andreas fault, Emily Brodsky, a geophysicist at the University of California, Santa Barbara, told NBC News.
Fracking and energy exploration connected to earthquakes, say studies - NBC News

Quantum mechanics also makes it a non zero possibility of me walking through a wall as long as all the particles in my body don't occupy the space taken by the wall's particles. Haven't seen it work yet though.

Fracking nonsense. Fracking has been taking place in Colorado for decades. No earthquakes have resulted. Let's put Americans back to work and let's eliminate our dependence on foreign oil. Let's frack!!

In PA fracking in is extensive in the west. I have heard of no earthquakes, no gas in water, and no loss of water wells. But it is still early.

Remember who you are dealing with, energy companies seem to always place environmental impact far down their list of priorities. I would have no problem with any kind of energy exploration/utilization if they did something other than just lawyer up after some horrible mishap.

Here is an intereting piece from the article. Apparently it isn't the fracking process causing the Earthquakes it is the disposal of wastewater. Maybe that isn't done at the depth of fracking.

Kim stressed these earthquakes are not directly related to fracking of rock for natural gas. "They are due to injection of waste fluid from fracking," he noted.

Seems to me that it is an easy solution to just ban this disposal of the water. I am not sure why it isn't be processed now.

Fracking nonsense. Fracking has been taking place in Colorado for decades. No earthquakes have resulted. Let's put Americans back to work and let's eliminate our dependence on foreign oil. Let's frack!!

In PA fracking in is extensive in the west. I have heard of no earthquakes, no gas in water, and no loss of water wells. But it is still early.

Remember who you are dealing with, energy companies seem to always place environmental impact far down their list of priorities. I would have no problem with any kind of energy exploration/utilization if they did something other than just lawyer up after some horrible mishap.

I fully agree, the government needs to be ahead of this process if not too late. They need to make environmental law that makes sense so people and the companies are protected. We have had problems with the illegal disposal of wastewater. Those found doing so should spend a long time in jail along with their bosses, even if the bosses says they didn't know.

In my little part of the world I am given credit for having ordinances passed protecting the community form the process, or at least regulating it. That was 15 years ago in the infancy of the process.

Shaking Out The Lies Surrounding Earthquakes And Hydraulic Fracturing

shutterstock_159181070-913x512.jpg

Notice who printed the signs – and probably organized the demonstration? And facts don't mean anything to loonies like this.

Story @ Shaking Out The Lies Surrounding Earthquakes And Hydraulic Fracturing

I hear quite a bit about earthquakes that are claimed a result of fracking but I hear almost nothing about the actual damage caused by said quakes - the metric that actually matters.

Forum List

Back