Fracking causes... earthquakes???

FA_Q2

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2009
Washington State
Confirmed: Fracking practices to blame for Ohio earthquakes - NBC News

While listening to C-Span today, one of the senators blamed a few recent quakes on fracking, something that simply sounded extraordinary and completely false on its face but there were several scientists that were testifying that very claim. A quick search of the internet show several stories on this very same idea. The idea that we can cause an earthquake seems rather dubious to me but...

Granted, a 3.9 (the largest in this story) is almost nothing but it is still manmade EARTHQUAKES!

What do you find so far fetched about it? It's an industrial process on a grand scale involving incredible pressures, sometimes something has to give.

‘Grand scale’ is extremely subjective. In the light of the masses we are talking about, that grand scale is more like a raindrop in an ocean. There is nothing grand about it at all.

An earthquake moves, literally, mountains worth of mass. That is on a grand scale.

Earthquakes and water that lights on fire...

The water lighting on fire was happening before fracking. Its caused by methane from decomposition in the upper strata, not methane released via fracking.

‘Grand scale’ is extremely subjective. In the light of the masses we are talking about, that grand scale is more like a raindrop in an ocean. There is nothing grand about it at all.

An earthquake moves, literally, mountains worth of mass. That is on a grand scale.

Small earthquakes can also be caused by routine gas and oil extraction. you are changing the properties of the rock when you remove either.

What do you find so far fetched about it? It's an industrial process on a grand scale involving incredible pressures, sometimes something has to give.

what are those pressures?

It's a lot, enough to fracture rock. The thing is that there is a lot of pressure built up underground as the result of natural geologic processes, think of the avalanche that started because one little stone was pulled out of the bottom. In this case it is more like lubricating faults that have been stuck for a long time.

Fracking nonsense. Fracking has been taking place in Colorado for decades. No earthquakes have resulted. Let's put Americans back to work and let's eliminate our dependence on foreign oil. Let's frack!!

While listening to C-Span today, one of the senators blamed a few recent quakes on fracking, something that simply sounded extraordinary and completely false on its face but there were several scientists that were testifying that very claim. A quick search of the internet show several stories on this very same idea. The idea that we can cause an earthquake seems rather dubious to me but...

Granted, a 3.9 (the largest in this story) is almost nothing but it is still manmade EARTHQUAKES!

I don't know why the idea of man made earthquakes is so hard to believe, they are as real as rain.

EVery nuclear weapon we'd tested created an earthquake.

MANY mining operations caused them.

Remember that earthquakes range from not detectable by humans to massive.

Break enough rock, remove enough material, deep in the earth and a quake is INEVITABLE.

I don't know why the idea of man made earthquakes is so hard to believe, they are as real as rain.

Break enough rock, remove enough material, deep in the earth and a quake is INEVITABLE.

Certainly. A good geologist could probably tell where to drill and frack on the San Andreas to deliberately cause the Big One.

Last edited:

Certainly. A good geologist could probably tell where to drill and frack on the San Andreas and deliberately cause the Big One.

No. The stresses and forces on the San Andreas are deeper and orders of magnitude higher than anything short of nukes can impact, and maybe not even those.

Methane migration happens naturally, but drilling and fracking speed up the process.

Fracking nonsense. Fracking has been taking place in Colorado for decades. No earthquakes have resulted. Let's put Americans back to work and let's eliminate our dependence on foreign oil. Let's frack!!

In PA fracking in is extensive in the west. I have heard of no earthquakes, no gas in water, and no loss of water wells. But it is still early.

Forum List

Back