Fox News thinks 'irregardless' is a word

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Woman on air last night said 'irregardless' which isn't a word. Googling for a transcript just now I'm shocked to see it's not a one-time thing.

site:foxnews.com irregardless

"US Navy's boat drones can swarm enemy attackers | Fox News
www.foxnews.com/.../us-navy-boat-drones-can-swarm-enemy-attackers/‎
Oct 6, 2014 ... Irregardless, the threat of civilians being attacked by small boat swarm

10 Online Invoicing Services for Small-Business Owners
www.foxnews.com/.../10-online-invoicing-services-for-small-business-owners/‎
May 26, 2015 ... Irregardless of business size, Invoicera offers free invoicing templates that can

New species of tortoise found on Galapagos island | Fox News
www.foxnews.com/.../new-species-tortoise-found-on-galapagos-island.html‎
Oct 22, 2015 ... Irregardless, the ancient civilizations knew the world was round.
"

irregardless | regardless
irregardless

adverb ir·re·gard·less \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\
Definition of IRREGARDLESS
nonstandard
: regardless
Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

I have always translated "irregardless'" as "regardless" ----but I did not know that
it is not a word-------I just thought that the 'ir" beginning was not needed

Woman on air last night said 'irregardless' which isn't a word. Googling for a transcript just now I'm shocked to see it's not a one-time thing.

Oct 6, 2014 ... Irregardless, the threat of civilians being attacked by small boat swarm

May 26, 2015 ... Irregardless of business size, Invoicera offers free invoicing templates that can

Oct 22, 2015 ... Irregardless, the ancient civilizations knew the world was round.
"
Irregardless means supercalifragalistically regardless.

"
Irregardless means supercalifragalistically regardless.

it is hard to SAY. ----I mean the "irregardless" thing

Irregardless: a word which when used results in educated people looking at one another raising one eyebrow. :)

"

Its like "misunderestimate".

Its funny how RWers are ready to accept the mispronouciations of white people, and indeed this mispronounciations make there way into the dictionary. But if a black person says something the wrong way.....

"

Just one of many incorrect forms that are in common use. Shrug.

I hear people say that all the time

Just like I hear people using the subjective I rather than me all the time

for example

Mom is going to the store with my sister and I

drives me fucking nuts

Well it's improperly used often but people understand it, so to speak, as regardless.

It's a much different deal than MSNBC's race pimp Al completely mangling the pronunciation of everyday words that appear on his teleprompter that leave folks thinking he's just a dumb shit.

Forum List

Back