Four Republicans Now Support Marriage Equality In the U.S. Senate!

Marriage equality isn't partisan.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5511435?utm_hp_ref=politics

14 former Michigan Republican legislators and others in the party affirmed that conservative "values are advanced by recognizing civil marriage rights for same-sex couples," rather than harmed.

"Marriage is strengthened and its benefits, importance to society, and the social stability of the family unit are promoted by providing access to civil marriage for same-sex couples," they argue. "Providing access to civil marriage for same-sex couples poses no credible threat to religious freedom or to the institution of religious marriage."[...]

They also made the point that marriage is not just about having children, but about the mutual rights and obligations conferred on partners, invoking George Washington.

"Whatever the merits of speculation that marriage was originally fashioned only to channel the procreative impulse, it has been centuries since marriage was so limited (if it ever was). Our Nation’s first President and his wife had no children together, but their marriage provided a protective family structure for raising Martha Washington’s children by her first marriage as well as her grandchildren."

Ad hominem circumstantial constitutes an attack on the bias of a source. This is fallacious because a disposition to make a certain argument does not make the argument false

Because thinkprogress is a far left blog site that should be in the same classification as the Onion.

Ad hom: fallacious disposition. Of course the responsible right to responsible left loves to do it to Fox every chance as well.

Says the far left Obama drone that can not post anything beyond programmed far left talking points.

Republicans Destroy Republican Arguments Against Gay Marriage

14 former Michigan Republican legislators and others in the party affirmed that conservative "values are advanced by recognizing civil marriage rights for same-sex couples," rather than harmed.

"Marriage is strengthened and its benefits, importance to society, and the social stability of the family unit are promoted by providing access to civil marriage for same-sex couples," they argue. "Providing access to civil marriage for same-sex couples poses no credible threat to religious freedom or to the institution of religious marriage."[...]

They also made the point that marriage is not just about having children, but about the mutual rights and obligations conferred on partners, invoking George Washington.

"Whatever the merits of speculation that marriage was originally fashioned only to channel the procreative impulse, it has been centuries since marriage was so limited (if it ever was). Our Nation’s first President and his wife had no children together, but their marriage provided a protective family structure for raising Martha Washington’s children by her first marriage as well as her grandchildren."

And you just proved my point I have been making all along about the is fake gay "marriage" outrage.

The far left programmed talking points have been defeated by your own post, good job.

The gay agenda is to punish the church by using the term marriage, otherwise they would be pushing for another term. And it shows that they would get their wish if they just call it something else.

The far left is not to bright when they post something that trumps all their previous far left programmed talking points.

Of course that's not nearly enough red-state Senators but it's a start as Republicans start to awaken to the fact that their own constituencies are in support of it and they are not yet with it or on board.

Susan Collins Becomes Fourth Republican Senator To Support Same-Sex Marriage | ThinkProgress

I don't see this issue as being very important to most voters. There are plenty of democrats who are against gay marriage. Blacks are overwhelmingly against it! This won't amount to squat when it comes time to vote.

That being said, I am 100% for marriage equality. . In my opinion Government must have complete equality with regards to legal arrangements between consenting adults. And that is what a marriage really is- a legal arrangement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you just proved my point I have been making all along about the is fake gay "marriage" outrage.

The far left programmed talking points have been defeated by your own post, good job.

The gay agenda is to punish the church by using the term marriage, otherwise they would be pushing for another term. And it shows that they would get their wish if they just call it something else.

The far left is not to bright when they post something that trumps all their previous far left programmed talking points.

Oh, you don't like us using the word...okay, change it. (For everyone)

Nope! You change it so that it will be accepted, let religion have their term "Marriage".

Why can the far left and the gay Nazi's let the church have their term "Marriage"?

If you want to be real fair then when someone applies for a job what difference does it make what race they are? Are we not all Americans?

Collins is a good woman, so is Snowe, but the 'Thunder on the Right' was ruining her hearing.

Of course that's not nearly enough red-state Senators but it's a start as Republicans start to awaken to the fact that their own constituencies are in support of it and they are not yet with it or on board.

Susan Collins Becomes Fourth Republican Senator To Support Same-Sex Marriage | ThinkProgress

I don't see this issue as being very important to most voters. There are plenty of democrats who are against gay marriage. Blacks are overwhelmingly against it! This won't amount to squat when it comes time to vote.

That being said, I am 100% for marriage equality. . In my opinion Government must have complete equality with regards to legal arrangements between consenting adults. And that is what a marriage really is- a legal arrangement.

You might want to check the polls again...

African Americans: A national Gallup poll conducted November 26-29, 2012 found 53% of African Americans thought marriages between same-sex couples should be recognized officially and should have the same rights as straight married couples.

http://www.freedomtomarry.org/resources/entry/marriage-polling

Nope! You change it so that it will be accepted, let religion have their term "Marriage".

Why can the far left and the gay Nazi's let the church have their term "Marriage"?

If you want to be real fair then when someone applies for a job what difference does it make what race they are? Are we not all Americans?

I don't care if it's changed, you do...I just want equal access to it. If you don't like us getting a marriage license, the onus is on you to change the name.

You might want to check the polls again...

African Americans: A national Gallup poll conducted November 26-29, 2012 found 53% of African Americans thought marriages between same-sex couples should be recognized officially and should have the same rights as straight married couples.

Polling Tracks Growing and Increasingly Diverse Support for the Freedom to Marry | Freedom to Marry

And the far left Obama drone goes for the partisan blog site for their win.

Boring!

Ad hominem circumstantial constitutes an attack on the bias of a source. This is fallacious because a disposition to make a certain argument does not make the argument false

Because thinkprogress is a far left blog site that should be in the same classification as the Onion.

Who linked directly to the local news, dipshit.

Wrong it was written by a far left Obama drone for the far left blog site and it reads like it should be part of the onion.

Otherwise the "author" should be fired for plagiarizing!

By Igor Volsky

Igor Volsky is the Managing Editor of ThinkProgress.org. Igor is co-author of Howard Dean’s Prescription for Real Healthcare Reform and has appeared on MSNBC, CNN, Fox Business, Fox News, and CNBC television, and has been a guest on many radio shows. In 2011, Forbes named Igor one of their top 30 under 30 in Law & Policy. Igor grew up in Russia, Israel and New Jersey and graduated from Marist College in Poughkeepsie, New York. He was previously the Health and LGBT editor at ThinkProgress.

He is a far left Obama drone and that is a far left blog site no matter how anyone wants to spin it.

Gay marriage is a non issue to thinking folks.
Gay marriage affects no one.
30 years from now folks are going to look back and say "wow, people were really stupid to make those whack claims that gays in the military would disrupt unit cohesion and gay marriage would ruin the sanctity of marriage for straight folk. How could we have ever fallen for that nonsense?"
Pretty much, same-sex marriage is a distraction from bigger issues, it is easy for a candidate to run on 'the gays are coming to get you'.

A candidate running mainly on 'the gays are coming to get you' doesn't provide solutions for the economy, the government debt, healthcare, education, foreign policy, or unemployment (which are the issues that really matter).

But partisan hacks still win votes, even if they have no ideas of their own whatsoever, which explains why Congress and the Senate is full of so many useless politicians that spend all their time raving against gays and abortions while millions of Americans go without work, govt debt increases, and the economy struggles.

Ad hom: fallacious disposition. Of course the responsible right to responsible left loves to do it to Fox every chance as well.

Says the far left Obama drone that can not post anything beyond programmed far left talking points.

Yer just another far right reactionary whining troll.

Yer just another far right reactionary whining troll.

The irony of those comments from the far left Obama drone.

The far left would much rather watch the world burn than admit they were wrong!

Far right drone programming continues to fail.

Marriage belongs to all married couples. Tough to those of you who simply hate.

Think Progress.

Are they lying? Did they make up that four Republican Senators are supporting marriage equality?

Between the two of you, there isn't enough intellectual bandwidth to drum up much more than "RINO" by way of contribution to a discussion.

they don't care about marriage "equality" all they want is the perks you get with it

and if they have to beat you all over the head about it, they will

So you got married because of "the perks that went with it".

Sorry about that.

Change in the Republican Party is COMING FROM WITHIN.

This is a good thing.

The religious right does not care about winning elections away from Democrats.
They are too busy demanding everyone live by their religious beliefs.

Forum List

Back