Four men sentenced to death in India gang rape

I was watching a debate on the Indian TV few days ago. One of the panelists tried to defend the rape incidents in India citing far higher incidents of rape in the US and the UK – India has less than 2 incidents of rape per 100,000 people compared to 30 in the US and over 10 in the UK. People responded very angrily to that and stated that they will not tolerate even one rape case in India, it does not matter what they do to women in the US and the UK. I thought that was very honest approach. Indians in general are averse to the idea of death penalty which is reserved for cases of extreme brutality. Idea of abolishing death penalty in India was beginning to gain momentum but thanks to these animals, Indians will have to keep that option open.

I suspect India is higher in rape, and you have to remember what is cited is "reported rape" that means it may be that more women report rape in the ua then they do in India.

Your suspicion is wrong. Rape is far more prevalent in western societies as a result some women do not even feel that the trouble of reporting is worth it. This especially includes women who get raped on college campuses during parties. I could never understand the compulsion on the part of western media to deny the truth. Fact is glaring at your face then you go around and fabricate excuses. This is wrong.

I gave an opinion when I stated I suspected unreported rapes are much higher in India and never stated it as a fact. But since you are replying as if you know for a fact post your research and links so we can read the comparisons.

I am not sure how you can prove statistically how many rapes got unreported in India but I did find this :cool:

The recent statistics comparing India and the U.S. imply higher rates here in the U.S., but the actual facts don’t quite add up. In 2012, over 24,000 cases of rape in India were reported, calculating approximately two rapes per every 100,000 people. In the U.S., the chance of a person being raped is reported to be 13 times more likely. But the severe discrepancy between the two countries isn’t exactly a mystery, as local surveys in Indian through the past 25 years revealed approximately 1 to 4 percent of Indian women acknowledged having been raped–which brings the rate of rape in India to between 50 and 200 times greater than reported by the Indian government.

Is it ever possible to assess accurately the number of rates occurring in any country? Officials on the subject say no.

Criminologists also refer to the immense number of rapes that go unreported as the “dark figure,” because the number is expected to be frighteningly large. The other issue within the statistics collected is that some countries make a deliberate effort to motivate victims of rape to speak up and report any incidents, while other countries may actually pressure victims to keep quiet, eventually causing the more motivating and encouraging countries to appear to have a larger issue of rape compared to others.

Rape Statistics Much Greater than Reports Reveal

Understanding India?s rape crisis | Harvard Gazette

Rape? It's your fault, women: Sarcastic video on victim-blaming goes viral - The Times of India

[ame=http://youtu.be/r0u9zf6rAts]India: A Dangerous Place to Be a Woman, BBC3, BBC THREE - YouTube[/ame]

The NCRB (National Crime Record Bureau) of India records a 112 percent rise in the number of reported rapes between 1990 and 2008 in India. In 2011, 24,206 rape cases were reported. That’s 66 rapes a day.

That’s the number of rapes reported.

Ninety percent of the rape cases in India go unreported. Of every 10 women raped in India, nine are afraid to speak up against their perpetrators or do not have access to the social media.

Ninety percent of the rape victims aren’t as lucky as Nirbhaya was.

What we call a 21st century “social media boom,” fails to report the rapes of thousands of girls who have to bleed silently, to death sometimes.

“So, you got raped by your uncle? I’ll just ask him to pay for the abortion if you get pregnant and you can go back to work tomorrow. We haven’t eaten rice in three days.”

That was a response Promila got from her mother when she walked up to her one morning and told her she was raped and impregnated.

“We don’t complain against our uncles. They’re family and it’s against the rules,” said Promila when I asked her why she wasn’t seeking legal help.

She left me thinking. In a country as culturally and ethnically rich as India, we’re asked to abide by cultural norms or “rules” as we call them. Does that mean an uncle isn’t a rapist? Does that excuse you from the truth that you’ve been raped? Absolutely not.

Promila resumed her work the next morning. She washed clothes and she ran daily chores at my neighbor’s house. I watched her turn into a recluse who never spoke to anyone.

BEHIND THE CURTAIN: ON UNREPORTED RAPES IN INDIA | Girls' Globe

Drafted by the Working Group on Human Rights in India and the UN (WGHR), “Human Rights in India: Status Report 2012” covers the gamut of human rights failures that take place within the state. Several sections deal with sexual assault and violence towards women in both conflict zones and during peacetime, highlighting the neglect that many of these cases face from the legal system and authorities. Among other statistics the WGHR uncovered, one of the most staggering is that “every 60 minutes two women are raped, and every six hours a young married woman is found beaten to death, burnt or driven to suicide.”

Security forces within India are frequent perpetrators of violence against women, according to the report, though the stigma associated with victimhood results in cases of rape being under reported. At one point, the report accused the armed forces of thwarting investigations where “circumstantial evidence strongly indicates the involvement of armed forces.” Prosecution of those in the armed forces discharged for committing rape is particularly difficult as well, thanks to provisions in India’s legal system that require a waiver from the state or central government to allow charges to go forward.

Women of the Dalit group — the lowest place in the Indian caste system — face a particular stigma and are the subject of a disproportionate amount of violence:
Violence against Dalit women is targeted, 361 and atrocities committed against them include: verbal abuse and sexual epithets, naked parading, pulling out of teeth, tongue and nails, and violence, including murder. Dalit women are also threatened by rape as part of collective violence by higher castes. The National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB) reported a total of 1,349 rape cases of Dalit women for 2010, with the state of Madhya Pradesh reporting 316 cases, followed by Uttar Pradesh with 311 cases. There are cases of kidnapping and abduction of women, with Uttar Pradesh alone accounting nearly 48.5% of the 511 cases for 2010. Notably, there is no disaggregated data collected on atrocities against Dalit women.

REPORT: Rape Often Targeted, Underreported In India | ThinkProgress

Indian society is very conservative. Women often do not feel comfortable venturing out alone. This limits the opportunity for a rapist. Also unlike many western countries they do not have a culture of rape. So rape is really a rare incident in India. Most of the rape cases in India involve women returning home from work after having worked late shift. According to UN statistics for 2012, Australia had 17 cases of rape per 100,000 people and Canada had 12.7. India was once again less than 2. I can understand how it makes certain westerners feel uncomfortable.

The direction of the debate in India over this issue is positive. They are not interested in what racit western media reports about them. They are more interested in solving the problem. They are talking about deploying police on the late night commuter services. Also, they have put on hold their plan to abolish death penalty to deter heinous rape crimes.

Indian society is very conservative. Women often do not feel comfortable venturing out alone. This limits the opportunity for a rapist. Also unlike many western countries they do not have a culture of rape. So rape is really a rare incident in India. Most of the rape cases in India involve women returning home from work after having worked late shift. According to UN statistics for 2012, Australia had 17 cases of rape per 100,000 people and Canada had 12.7. India was once again less than 2. I can understand how it makes certain westerners feel uncomfortable.

The direction of the debate in India over this issue is positive. They are not interested in what racit western media reports about them. They are more interested in solving the problem. They are talking about deploying police on the late night commuter services. Also, they have put on hold their plan to abolish death penalty to deter heinous rape crimes.

It's not that conservative they have the red light district, lots of pan handling children and a high incidence of aids.

You still have not linked anything. I had talked about "unreported" rape and how I suspect it's a lot higher.

I suspect India is higher in rape, and you have to remember what is cited is "reported rape" that means it may be that more women report rape in the ua then they do in India.

Death chambers make the state a premeditated, cold-blooded killer of human beings.

Indians do not have to keep death chambers at all.

Some of us apparently don't think a man who takes a metal rod and slams it in and out of a young girl's vagina with such force that the internal injuries that action causes are so severe that they result in her death...some of us don't think that man qualifies as a human being.

Others of us do think and can see clearly that he is...one capable of heinous crimes.

It's not about the human being who committed the heinous crime/s...it's all about the state/govt man and his death chambers, where he becomes a cold-blooded killer.

The others of us say: "Not in our name"!

The committers of heinous crimes should simply be locked away in secure prisons to grow old slowly, God deciding when they die.
All convicteds must be kept alive, there is corruption in justice systems...much corruption.

Death chambers should've been left behind in Auschwitz.

Last edited:
Death chambers make the state a premeditated, cold-blooded killer of human beings.

Indians do not have to keep death chambers at all.

Some of us apparently don't think a man who takes a metal rod and slams it in and out of a young girl's vagina with such force that the internal injuries that action causes are so severe that they result in her death...some of us don't think that man qualifies as a human being.

Others of us do think and can see clearly that he is...one capable of heinous crimes.

It's not about the human being who committed the heinous crime/s...it's all about the state/govt man and his death chambers, where he becomes a cold-blooded killer.

The others of us say: "Not in our name"!

The committers of heinous crimes should simply be locked away in secure prisons to grow old slowly, God deciding when they die.
All convicteds must be kept alive, there is corruption in justice systems...much corruption.

Death chambers should've been left behind in Auschwitz.

Agreed there is corruption in the justice systems.

It's not that conservative they have the red light district, lots of pan handling children and a high incidence of aids.

You still have not linked anything. I had talked about "unreported" rape and how I suspect it's a lot higher.

You are parroting propaganda that was designed to set the stage for India's destabilization by certain western countries. Your comments about AIDS in India and child panhandlers are reflective of that. I looked at couple of your links those are from the fake organisations created by western intelligence agencies. After that, I lost interest in reading your links. India is/was much safer for women than many western countries. India is very low on rape index. Download the excel sheet from the UN website and see for yourself.

Crime and criminal justice statistics

As far as under reporting is concerned, it happens more often in the western countries because of their casual attitude towards rape. Every single of those cheer leaders and drunk girls who get raped do not come forward. It is a fact.

If the facts about rape in your country makes you uncomfortable, be a man, admit the reality and do something to fix it insead of cooking up numbers about other countries to make yourself feel better. Learn from Indians; they are not interested in what a two-bit racist person has to say about the issue. They are interested in solving the problem. No body in India is covering anything up. They are facing it honestly and taking steps as they see fit. As a result, the all ready low index will go further down.

If engaging in racism helps someone sleep better at night, I do not want to take that away from that person. Other than that facts are glaring at your face.

You are parroting propaganda that was designed to set the stage for India's destabilization by certain western countries. Your comments about AIDS in India and child panhandlers are reflective of that. I looked at couple of your links those are from the fake organisations created by western intelligence agencies. After that, I lost interest in reading your links. India is/was much safer for women than many western countries. India is very low on rape index. Download the excel sheet from the UN website and see for yourself.

Crime and criminal justice statistics

As far as under reporting is concerned, it happens more often in the western countries because of their casual attitude towards rape. Every single of those cheer leaders and drunk girls who get raped do not come forward. It is a fact.

If the facts about rape in your country makes you uncomfortable, be a man, admit the reality and do something to fix it insead of cooking up numbers about other countries to make yourself feel better. Learn from Indians; they are not interested in what a two-bit racist person has to say about the issue. They are interested in solving the problem. No body in India is covering anything up. They are facing it honestly and taking steps as they see fit. As a result, the all ready low index will go further down.

If engaging in racism helps someone sleep better at night, I do not want to take that away from that person. Other than that facts are glaring at your face.

If it's a fact you should post proof. This is all speculation and opinions, just a discussion.

Don't claim your biased opinion as a fact. Post facts or acknowledge you are expressing an opposing opinion. :)

I posted the link from where anyone can download in excel format complete rape statistics country by country gathered by the UN. That shows extremely low incidents of rape in India.

Now, if any bigot wants to see the UN statistics on AIDS country by country, I will provide the link from where he can download that statistics as well. India is very low on AIDS index as well. (If you do not know how to download excel sheets from the UN website, let me know, I will teach you.)

I posted the link from where anyone can download in excel format complete rape statistics country by country gathered by the UN. That shows extremely low incidents of rape in India.

Now, if any bigot wants to see the UN statistics on AIDS country by country, I will provide the link from where he can download that statistics as well. India is very low on AIDS index as well. (If you do not know how to download excel sheets from the UN website, let me know, I will teach you.)

The issue you had with me stating my opinion about suspecting unreported rape is higher in India can't be proved and I never stated it as a fact. Now you are just going around in circles.

Let me ask you this, if rape is a problem in india wouldn't you want to get to the bottom of the matter and work to make changes so that women and children are protected?

What is your motivation to argue against unreported rapes and high incidents of aids in India?

My motive is to talk about those things and to hope that with education and programs set up to make it safe for women and children, that India will reduce those crimes against them etc.

Don't you think India is taking the right direction in starting to hold rapists accountable ?

:cool:

Rape is a "hate crime" in India.

Caste system for the past 2000 years has seeded sadists/savages in India.
India is going to end up as Africa where rape is a hate crime and/or a means to take revenge. (upper caste versus lower caste)

NEW DELHI (AP) — A judge on Friday sentenced to death the four men convicted in the December gang rape and murder of a young New Delhi woman, ordering them to the gallows for a brutal attack on a bus that left the young woman with such severe internal injuries that she died two weeks later.

Four men sentenced to death in India gang rape

Do you think the sentence was to severe or just given the fact that she died from internal injuries sustained from the brutal rape?

Not severe enough. Give em to me, I'll make them wish they died and went to hell to be tortured by the devil. I'm not nearly so fluffy.

Forum List

Back