Former Senator: 'Legitimate Gun Owners' Should Form Their Own NRA

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By John Stephens

Former U.S. Senator and presidential candidate Gary Hart on Wednesday called on what he termed "legitimate gun owners" to form a new organization separate from the National Rifle Association (NRA), one that shares the belief that military-style assault weapons have no place in U.S. society.

"Of the legitimate gun owners who do have, according to the Supreme Court, the right to protect their homes by owning guns -- and sportsmen -- I suggested to them that they form their own organization that is separate from the predominate National Rifle Association, which refuses to cooperate, at least up to now, in controlling the military or military-like weapons that have no place in home security or in the field," Hart continued.

Hart also wrote about the NRA's defense of assault weapons in a blog post published Monday on The Huffington Post:

The National Rifle Association, which claims to speak for America's gun owners, makes only one argument for assault weapons: if "they" take away our assault weapons, then "they" will come for our sporting guns. Never mind that the mysterious "they," purposely left vague to serve the needs of paranoia, is the government of the United States whose president and members of Congress are all elected by a majority of American citizens. read more ...

More: Gary Hart, Former Senator: 'Legitimate Gun Owners' Should Leave NRA, Start New Group (VIDEO)

I have guns but I detest those MFs who think guns are all about protecting yourself from the government. Ludicrous, no matter what you have they have more and better making any security in that area a mere illusion and certainly nothing to base an entire political party on. Add to that the NRA being involved in a wide range of RW lobbying efforts that have little or nothing to do with guns and we have an organization that hates a lot of proud gun owners for their moderate views on the subject.

Why should anyone give a crap what a former disgraced former senator has to say on any subject?

What is the definition of "legitimate gun owner?" I'm dying to know the answer to that question.

By John Stephens

Former U.S. Senator and presidential candidate Gary Hart on Wednesday called on what he termed "legitimate gun owners" to form a new organization separate from the National Rifle Association (NRA), one that shares the belief that military-style assault weapons have no place in U.S. society.

"Of the legitimate gun owners who do have, according to the Supreme Court, the right to protect their homes by owning guns -- and sportsmen -- I suggested to them that they form their own organization that is separate from the predominate National Rifle Association, which refuses to cooperate, at least up to now, in controlling the military or military-like weapons that have no place in home security or in the field," Hart continued.

Hart also wrote about the NRA's defense of assault weapons in a blog post published Monday on The Huffington Post:

The National Rifle Association, which claims to speak for America's gun owners, makes only one argument for assault weapons: if "they" take away our assault weapons, then "they" will come for our sporting guns. Never mind that the mysterious "they," purposely left vague to serve the needs of paranoia, is the government of the United States whose president and members of Congress are all elected by a majority of American citizens. read more ...

NaziCon reactions to "legitimate" gun control are hilarious.

Yeah, firearms as a palliative treatment for anti-government paranoia is hardly a legitimate use for them, most people have them for protection or sport, like me, but thinking they are the only thing keeping the feds from busting in and micro chipping our brains or some shit is nothing I want to be a part of.

NaziCon reactions to "legitimate" gun control are hilarious.

Yeah, firearms as a palliative treatment for anti-government paranoia is hardly a legitimate use for them, most people have them for protection or sport, like me, but thinking they are the only thing keeping the feds from busting in and micro chipping our brains or some shit is nothing I want to be a part of.

Agreed. However, micro-chipping some brains on this board might not be such a bad idea.

I have guns but I detest those MFs who think guns are all about protecting yourself from the government. Ludicrous, no matter what you have they have more and better making any security in that area a mere illusion and certainly nothing to base an entire political party on. Add to that the NRA being involved in a wide range of RW lobbying efforts that have little or nothing to do with guns and we have an organization that hates a lot of proud gun owners for their moderate views on the subject.

Im not surprised you have such a low opinion of Thomas Jefferson.

You mean that quote:

The tree of corporate gun lobbyists must be watered with your donations and fertilized with bullshit?

You mean that quote:

The tree of corporate gun lobbyists must be watered with your donations and fertilized with bullshit?

No. I mean his rather publicized viewpoint that sometimes the citizens have to rise up against government. In fact, it's enshrined in a document we call the Declaration of Independence. Im surprised your unfamiliar with it.

It's not something that should be done lightly, but there are times when it is not only necessary to do so, but right and just to do so.

GOA is just another nutty NRA copycat - maybe even worse.

"The only no-compromise gun lobby in Washington" -- Ron Paul

You mean that quote:

No. I mean his rather publicized viewpoint that sometimes the citizens have to rise up against government. In fact, it's enshrined in a document we call the Declaration of Independence. Im surprised your unfamiliar with it.

It's not something that should be done lightly, but there are times when it is not only necessary to do so, but right and just to do so.
You shouldn't be...Occupooped has demonstrated his rank ignorance of the revolution and the founding of the nation uncounted times.

You mean that quote:

Well why don't you pussies get on with it instead of just talking about it? No time like the present. You all say we are a communist country now so get cracking liberating us. It must so totally suck to live in such fear.

Forum List

Back