Former Pastor Converts To Atheism

Good for you, why do you care what someone else believes?
Have you watches the old and new cosmos series? Watch them and see how religion has held us back for over 2000 years.

I tire of people that believe that there ideas are superior and so they have a right to force it on others. That is what atheist complain about when Christians try to convert them.

I have opinions and I have a right to them, you have your opinions and you have a right to them. I find both sides of this issue has those that are intolerant of others beliefs and others opinions. Liberals, who used to thump their chest about their tolerance are now seemingly the most intolerant.

We have a country based on beliefs and freedom, yet the extreme left and extreme right want to shove down people's throats the beliefs.

I for one am tired of their crap.

Yawn. We don't tolerate intolerance. We also don't come knocking on your door at diner time.

Big fucking deal! My word! A knock at the door! It is a small price to pay. It is a freedom we have in this country. It is a First Amendment right. If you don't want any religion calling on you put out a sign or ask them to please don't call on you. Why are you so intolerant to others thoughts? It's great to discuss but why put down others beliefs?

You are intolerant, I have my beliefs, they are my beliefs, others tell me their beliefs, I don't belittle them for them. I tolerate that we have a diverse nation, we all have ideas and we all need to be tolerant of that of which we don't understand.

Now, when you talk of hate groups, I am also tolerant of their rights, I disagree with them, however they have a right to show their intolerance, just as you are doing.
I'm going to walk up to teens with atheist propaganda. Spread the word. I'm going to prey on kids like those born again did to us when we were kids. See how parents like that walking around their neighborhood.

That is your right, I wouldn't care, my faith is strong enough to tolerate other people's opinions and views.

If I make a statement that I believe is true without solid evidence, then yes you can make the claim I have made a faith based statement.

However, A faith based statement does not inherent a religion.

For instance, to say "I believe in God" is not a statement that inherits Christianity.

However, theism is not a religion, nor does it have a religious structure by itself..

Also, Not all theist practice a religion--but they believe in God.
Is atheism faith based or is there plenty of evidence humans made up god? I say there's enough evidence a grand jury would take it to trial.

Have you watches the old and new cosmos series? Watch them and see how religion has held us back for over 2000 years.

I tire of people that believe that there ideas are superior and so they have a right to force it on others. That is what atheist complain about when Christians try to convert them.

I have opinions and I have a right to them, you have your opinions and you have a right to them. I find both sides of this issue has those that are intolerant of others beliefs and others opinions. Liberals, who used to thump their chest about their tolerance are now seemingly the most intolerant.

We have a country based on beliefs and freedom, yet the extreme left and extreme right want to shove down people's throats the beliefs.

Every generation thinks the next generation is going to hell.

And I believe "they" use religion as a wedge issue to divide us. These wedge issues divide the middle class and turn what should be blue states red.

The Constitution allows for many views on many subjects, it is called freedom. It is called tolerance.

It seems your reason against religion is political, I find that interesting that you want to change views for your agenda however you aren't tolerant enough to allow others the same right. You are the people that I spoke of earlier. Not tolerant and wanting to shove your beliefs down others throat because you know better than others.

ryanbell-2_wide-c0302a729bbd847429d49cd3fadfdabdb8ac1d30-s6-c30.jpg

Former pastor Ryan Bell was asked to step down from his Seventh-day Adventist congregation in March 2014, after openly questioning his faith. For his New Year's resolution he decided to try living without Gawd for one year.

He announced to NPR recently that he no longer believes in Gawd.

Q: This weekend you told NPR: “I don’t think that God exists.” Can you elaborate?
A: I think the best way I can explain the conclusion I’ve come to — and conclusion is too strong a word for the provisional place I now stand and work from — is that the intellectual and emotional energy it takes to figure out how God fits into everything is far greater than dealing with reality as it presents itself to us.

That probably sounds very nonrational, and I want people to know that I have read several dozen books and understand a good many of the arguments. I’d just say that the existence of God seems like an extra layer of complexity that isn’t necessary. The world makes more sense to me as it is, without postulating a divine being who is somehow in charge of things.

full article @

After A Year Without God Former Pastor Ryan Bell No Longer Believes

Shows how much he knew/knows anyway. NO one ever lives WITHOUT GOD. God is always there.

God is always just the main character in a fairy tale you believe in. No one is obligated to accept your fantasy.

Do you agree theres a difference between being agnostic about a generic creator and being atheist about all the man made organized religions? You must have an opinion about Jesus Mohammad Noah moses and Joseph smith

Yes. My opinion is that all known religions' claims of truth seem highly unlikely.

Again. I would agree.
You remind me of me when I first started to see the truth. Good for you. Keep going. Its not enough to just reject religions. The true reality is that there very well may be no god.

But its better this way. Instead of the wishful thinking that you will live forever work towards helping the species live as long as possible.

That means going green and being pro science. Think you can handle it? Lol

Of course there may be no God. God is utterly irrelevant. I do not care if there is a God. I do, however, care about rational thought and logic. If you are going to claim your position is based upon that, then use it. I have no objection to belief, but don't claim it to be rational and logical.
But it is. Why dont you and I debate it. You start. So you tell me there is a god. I say I dont believe you. What do you say next?

No. You make the challenge, I get choice of weapons. So you tell me there is no god. I ask what evidence do you have to support that claim. What do you do next?

And do remember, you are claiming your position is based upon reason and logic, not belief.

Yes. My opinion is that all known religions' claims of truth seem highly unlikely.

Again. I would agree.
You remind me of me when I first started to see the truth. Good for you. Keep going. Its not enough to just reject religions. The true reality is that there very well may be no god.

But its better this way. Instead of the wishful thinking that you will live forever work towards helping the species live as long as possible.

Of course there may be no God. God is utterly irrelevant. I do not care if there is a God. I do, however, care about rational thought and logic. If you are going to claim your position is based upon that, then use it. I have no objection to belief, but don't claim it to be rational and logical.
But it is. Why dont you and I debate it. You start. So you tell me there is a god. I say I dont believe you. What do you say next?

Careful

Depending on the definition of God, you can lose this argument!!

Not every theist believes in the anthropomorphic God as described in the Bible.

You do bring up an important point. For all of the claims running back and forth, no one has yet defined what God is, let alone support that definition.

What PratchettFan is saying is that if one believes there is no God(s), it is as much a faith-based belief as believing there is one. In other words, agnosticism is the only rational position. There is no faith in not believing one way or the other.

I don't believe in God. I don't believe there is no possibility of one or something like a god or something unimaginable. I just don't know.

Belief should not be substituted for knowledge. If there is one atheist belief, that should be it.

Hollie sealybobo ClosedCaption Carla_Danger
Sound more like an agnostic atheist to me.

A theist says they know god exists. He visited them. Fact.

There's actually no such thing as an atheist because you can not KNOW god doesnt exist. Atheism is the opposite of theism. Theists say they know god exists. Right? See how they dont know and neither do atheists? So the best position is agnostic atheist. You sound like one. Agnostics are pussies. Man up.

I'd rather not get into the definition of atheism, agnosticism, agnostic atheism, strong or weak atheism debate. Let's just say I'm a non-believer.

What do I need to "man up" to, and how would I? Why would I?

For all we know Joseph Smith was right and Mormonism is the one true faith. Or even L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. I hope not, and with everything I think I know - I would think that either of those examples are not true. But I don't know.

And belief should not be substituted for knowledge. That's the domain of the theist.
I guess I think if I tell a christian I'm agnostic they'll think I haven't made up my mind and think I haven't given it enough thought. Lol but the reality is I'm not an atheist and your not an agnostic we are both somewhere in between.

Which is why I just go with "non-believer".

Which is perfectly acceptable. Or even "I believe there is no God." The problem arises when people, on either side of the issue, claim their belief constitutes knowledge.

If that is true, and I'm not saying it isn't, what does the pledge of allegiance have to do with freedom of religion?

To atheist, the inclusion of 'under GOD'. Many schools will not require it recited anymore because of atheists. Piss on 'em. It 'offends" them.

You are free to say the pledge of allegiance anytime you feel inclined. You are free to worship anytime you'd like. You can pray anywhere, anytime. You can believe in God without worry that the government will punish you. Your freedom of religion is protected.

But that some schools won't require atheists' children to pledge allegiance to their own country described as "under God" and that somehow infringes on your rights?

You poor Christians are so oppressed. How do you have the strength to deal with such terrible persecution?

I am especially entertained by the folks that lose their god and then later find him again. How fucked up is THAT?

0.o

Why would that be shocking at all?

Did I say shocked? Who said shocked?

Not at all. Most people are weak minded simpletons. I'm just amused that once they are free from the nonsense they don't have the guts to go it alone.

Yawn. We don't tolerate intolerance. We also don't come knocking on your door at diner time.

Big fucking deal! My word! A knock at the door! It is a small price to pay. It is a freedom we have in this country. It is a First Amendment right. If you don't want any religion calling on you put out a sign or ask them to please don't call on you. Why are you so intolerant to others thoughts? It's great to discuss but why put down others beliefs?

You are intolerant, I have my beliefs, they are my beliefs, others tell me their beliefs, I don't belittle them for them. I tolerate that we have a diverse nation, we all have ideas and we all need to be tolerant of that of which we don't understand.

Now, when you talk of hate groups, I am also tolerant of their rights, I disagree with them, however they have a right to show their intolerance, just as you are doing.

I do have a sign on my door....now.

I'd like to see the reaction from Christian's if groups of atheists came knocking on their doors, yelling at them on the corners, along with handing out literature to their children. LOL! That would be a riot.

Because of one billboard, Bill O'Reilly continued his "War on Christmas" series this year.

You are free to do what you want, as far as O'Reilly, I don't watch him, he is an entertainer that I don't find that entertaining, much like Hannity, Sharpton, Stewart or any number of hosts.

Anytime an atheist wants to come to my door, fine, no big deal. I am not to bigoted to talk and tolerate their point of view.
Can we approach your children?

Is atheism faith based or is there plenty of evidence humans made up god? I say there's enough evidence a grand jury would take it to trial.

And I believe "they" use religion as a wedge issue to divide us. These wedge issues divide the middle class and turn what should be blue states red.

The Constitution allows for many views on many subjects, it is called freedom. It is called tolerance.

It seems your reason against religion is political, I find that interesting that you want to change views for your agenda however you aren't tolerant enough to allow others the same right. You are the people that I spoke of earlier. Not tolerant and wanting to shove your beliefs down others throat because you know better than others.
Yea yea yea. I've heard this exact same schtick from my conservative buddy. This right wing spin how its us liberals who are intolerant of your anti gay anti abortion views. I wonder where you guys got that. He watches fox listens to savage and rush and reads drudge. Dont waste your time making the typical standard right wing talking points to me. I'll just mock you for being such a simple right wing tool.

I do have a sign on my door....now.

I'd like to see the reaction from Christian's if groups of atheists came knocking on their doors, yelling at them on the corners, along with handing out literature to their children. LOL! That would be a riot.

Because of one billboard, Bill O'Reilly continued his "War on Christmas" series this year.

You are free to do what you want, as far as O'Reilly, I don't watch him, he is an entertainer that I don't find that entertaining, much like Hannity, Sharpton, Stewart or any number of hosts.

Anytime an atheist wants to come to my door, fine, no big deal. I am not to bigoted to talk and tolerate their point of view.
Can we approach your children?

Yep, they are old enough to talk with you.

Again. I would agree.

No. You make the challenge, I get choice of weapons. So you tell me there is no god. I ask what evidence do you have to support that claim. What do you do next?

And do remember, you are claiming your position is based upon reason and logic, not belief.
Ha ha you can't even explain it its so dumb you know it. You have no logical evidence of god. You believe because you want to. You can't even define it.

Yea yea yea. I've heard this exact same schtick from my conservative buddy. This right wing spin how its us liberals who are intolerant of your anti gay anti abortion views. I wonder where you guys got that. He watches fox listens to savage and rush and reads drudge. Dont waste your time making the typical standard right wing talking points to me. I'll just mock you for being such a simple right wing tool.

I have no issue with gays marrying, I have no problem if you decide to kill your baby. It is you that have to answer for your actions, not me. I don't listen to Rush, Savage or watch Fox News.

That is what is amusing, you try to box everyone into the same ideals.

You are free to have and enjoy your opinions and I am free to have and enjoy mine.

I am especially entertained by the folks that lose their god and then later find him again. How fucked up is THAT?
They never intelligently decided there is no god. They were just mad at him. Or maybe they looked around at all the pain and suffering and realized it doesnt make any sense but then back to wishful thinking and or guilt.

I have no issue with gays marrying, I have no problem if you decide to kill your baby. It is you that have to answer for your actions, not me. I don't listen to Rush, Savage or watch Fox News.

That is what is amusing, you try to box everyone into the same ideals.

You are free to have and enjoy your opinions and I am free to have and enjoy mine.

So you and my right win buddy both came up with this right wing talking point? Then maybe you read it on usmb because trust me your just a right wing parrot. You didn't come up with one original thought.

There is no atheist church with a mission to convert people to atheism, there is no atheist-outreach program.

Could that be because there is no divine repercussions to wrong doings in atheism? As Christians we believe in a higher power and good commandments. Heaven and Hell and much more. We reach out because we care and do not want to see anyone to live eternally in a place unfathomably horrific. Of course I'm not saying atheist are bad, we just care. I mean it's hard to say this earth and the people in it were put here by chance. Science can't even prove anything and the more they try the most they see there is a divine God.

There is no atheist church with a mission to convert people to atheism, there is no atheist-outreach program.

Could that be because there is no divine repercussions to wrong doings in atheism? As Christians we believe in a higher power and good commandments. Heaven and Hell and much more. We reach out because we care and do not want to see anyone to live eternally in a place unfathomably horrific. Of course I'm not saying atheist are bad, we just care. I mean it's hard to say this earth and the people in it were put here by chance. Science can't even prove anything and the more they try the most they see there is a divine God.
The exact opposite is true. You christians can commit adultery "he who has list in his heart has already commited adultery" and murder "get an abortion" but if you are sorry and believe you think you are forgiven of all your sins. See how it is you who uses religion to give yourself a pass on being a sinner? Dont you admit you all sin?

Forum List

Back