Former Pastor Converts To Atheism

There is no atheist church with a mission to convert people to atheism, there is no atheist-outreach program.

Could that be because there is no divine repercussions to wrong doings in atheism? As Christians we believe in a higher power and good commandments. Heaven and Hell and much more. We reach out because we care and do not want to see anyone to live eternally in a place unfathomably horrific. Of course I'm not saying atheist are bad, we just care. I mean it's hard to say this earth and the people in it were put here by chance. Science can't even prove anything and the more they try the most they see there is a divine God.
Do you think people didn't know it was wrong to kill before moses wrote the ten commandments?

There is no atheist church with a mission to convert people to atheism, there is no atheist-outreach program.

Could that be because there is no divine repercussions to wrong doings in atheism? As Christians we believe in a higher power and good commandments. Heaven and Hell and much more. We reach out because we care and do not want to see anyone to live eternally in a place unfathomably horrific. Of course I'm not saying atheist are bad, we just care. I mean it's hard to say this earth and the people in it were put here by chance. Science can't even prove anything and the more they try the most they see there is a divine God.

My Muslim friend said the same thing to me and my bro back in college when I was a christian. He said I love you guys its too bad we're going to hell. Isnt he stupid for believing that people who dont follow his faith are going to hell?

Would you become a thieving raping murderer if you realized there was no heaven or hell?

Ah. You've employed the "prove it isn't", tactic.

That's a tactic often dragged out by religious zealots when they're tasked with supporting their specious claims.

You maintain your dogma of "atheism is a religion". In multiple posts and in multiple threads you have consistently failed to present a defendable argument for your dogma. You have sidestepped and evaded and made every attempt to shift the burden of proof which falls to the positive assertion.

So once again we're left with you making arguments you cannot support and then sidestepping any accounting for your dishonesty.

Doesn't that make you feel, at the very least, dirty?

I get that I am talking to a true believer, so I honestly don't expect to get through to you. The only thing I have claimed is that your position is based upon belief. I have repeatedly asked you for the evidence to support your position and you have repeatedly berated me for having the temerity to do so. Obviously, you have no evidence. You are operating on belief and belief alone. You just don't have the honesty to admit it. That is not my problem. But don't expect a free ride.
Um, no. You have claimed atheism is a religion. Then, as now, you are unable to support that position. Then, as now, you hope not to be held accountable for your specious opinions and instead, seek to impose your dogma on others.

What I have maintained is that some people, and you are certainly included in that, have turned Atheism into a religion. As evidence I present your post. I ask you for evidence and you respond that I am imposing dogma on you. I am not allowed to question, not allowed to ask for support. I am to accept without question.

Of course, Atheism doesn't have dogma, so this dogma can't be dogma. It is wrong of me to even consider it.
What you're hoping to do is sidestep any accounting for your indefensible claims.

Your claim is that "atheism is a religion". How is that so? You consistently sidestep addressing that.

Some atheists do treat atheism like a religion.

The exact opposite is true. You christians can commit adultery "he who has list in his heart has already commited adultery" and murder "get an abortion" but if you are sorry and believe you think you are forgiven of all your sins. See how it is you who uses religion to give yourself a pass on being a sinner? Dont you admit you all sin?
The "born again" thingy is pretty cool. A supposed free pass to get a mulligan from the gawds, and sometimes parole boards.

I tire of people that believe that there ideas are superior and so they have a right to force it on others. That is what atheist complain about when Christians try to convert them.

I have opinions and I have a right to them, you have your opinions and you have a right to them. I find both sides of this issue has those that are intolerant of others beliefs and others opinions. Liberals, who used to thump their chest about their tolerance are now seemingly the most intolerant.

We have a country based on beliefs and freedom, yet the extreme left and extreme right want to shove down people's throats the beliefs.

I for one am tired of their crap.

Every generation thinks the next generation is going to hell.

And I believe "they" use religion as a wedge issue to divide us. These wedge issues divide the middle class and turn what should be blue states red.

The Constitution allows for many views on many subjects, it is called freedom. It is called tolerance.

It seems your reason against religion is political, I find that interesting that you want to change views for your agenda however you aren't tolerant enough to allow others the same right. You are the people that I spoke of earlier. Not tolerant and wanting to shove your beliefs down others throat because you know better than others.
Yea yea yea. I've heard this exact same schtick from my conservative buddy. This right wing spin how its us liberals who are intolerant of your anti gay anti abortion views. I wonder where you guys got that. He watches fox listens to savage and rush and reads drudge. Dont waste your time making the typical standard right wing talking points to me. I'll just mock you for being such a simple right wing tool.

I have no issue with gays marrying, I have no problem if you decide to kill your baby. It is you that have to answer for your actions, not me. I don't listen to Rush, Savage or watch Fox News.

That is what is amusing, you try to box everyone into the same ideals.

You are free to have and enjoy your opinions and I am free to have and enjoy mine.

So you and my right win buddy both came up with this right wing talking point? Then maybe you read it on usmb because trust me your just a right wing parrot. You didn't come up with one original thought.

I am not going to argue with you, it is pointless, you are going to believe what you need to believe. It's all good with me, I have my beliefs and will continue to have them and you have your beliefs and will continue to have them. We will coexist whether you want to or not. So your not wanting me to believe in a God is not up to you, you extremists on the left and right don't get to trample everyone else's rights.

Everyone follows their own path. He chose to follow the unbelieving one. Good for him. His problem.
If everyone would just STOP trying to drag others to THEIR path, things might be more pleasant.
That would be nice in theory but religions are all about gaining members. The history of religious wars of conquest and conversion doesn't lend itself to the "live and let live" environment. This is why you have numerous factions of religionists, all asserting either directly or indirectly that they are right, which means -- despite the claims of tolerance, the others must be wrong.

No religion claims itself secondary in comparison to its competition. That would dismantle the authority of every religion ("Well, we're sort of right," said the Dalai Lama, "But you know, maybe those Christians are really right." Uh, not likely.)

If you are a Moslem as opposed to a Christian, your very self-identification tells me that you are announcing Islamism to be right, and Christianity to be wrong-- unless you are purposely following a doctrine you believe is wrong (I suppose some people might do that, but whatever for?).

I'm not saddled with the compulsive admonition of “believe as you’re told or be consigned to everlasting pain and torment”. Think about it, what is the best way to get someone to believe as you wish for them to? FEAR!. Scare the hell out of him. Tell the people that those of the competing sect / religion are on a paved road to hell....and you will generate all the fear and loathing for competing religions you wish for. And let's be honest, generating fear and loathing for the competing religion is what makes religions great.

Now as a Christian that is completely incorrect.... it's not a battle or right and wrong nor is it about trying to gain members. In every religion, people believe because they see TRUTH. Most doctrines have very similar context in a lot of areas. The thing that sets Christianity apart is Jesus. It is the only book (that I know of) to have god walk on this earth. Not only are there many accounts of his miracles they have evidence of his shroud he was buried in. Now of course you can say that is fake and it would be hard to convince you otherwise if you don't believe. But when you have seen some of the things I have it is hard to deny there is a greater power and Christianity makes the most sense to me.. yes there are many people who try to invoke fear which is not quite right but they are just doing that because they do care about people and do not want to see them live eternally in Hell....

Every generation thinks the next generation is going to hell.

And I believe "they" use religion as a wedge issue to divide us. These wedge issues divide the middle class and turn what should be blue states red.

The Constitution allows for many views on many subjects, it is called freedom. It is called tolerance.

It seems your reason against religion is political, I find that interesting that you want to change views for your agenda however you aren't tolerant enough to allow others the same right. You are the people that I spoke of earlier. Not tolerant and wanting to shove your beliefs down others throat because you know better than others.
Yea yea yea. I've heard this exact same schtick from my conservative buddy. This right wing spin how its us liberals who are intolerant of your anti gay anti abortion views. I wonder where you guys got that. He watches fox listens to savage and rush and reads drudge. Dont waste your time making the typical standard right wing talking points to me. I'll just mock you for being such a simple right wing tool.

I have no issue with gays marrying, I have no problem if you decide to kill your baby. It is you that have to answer for your actions, not me. I don't listen to Rush, Savage or watch Fox News.

You are free to have and enjoy your opinions and I am free to have and enjoy mine.

So you and my right win buddy both came up with this right wing talking point? Then maybe you read it on usmb because trust me your just a right wing parrot. You didn't come up with one original thought.

I am not going to argue with you, it is pointless, you are going to believe what you need to believe. It's all good with me, I have my beliefs and will continue to have them and you have your beliefs and will continue to have them. We will coexist whether you want to or not. So your not wanting me to believe in a God is not up to you, you extremists on the left and right don't get to trample everyone else's rights.
Atheists numbers are growing. You flat earth types are dinosaurs. I never even tried to convince my 91 year old yaya that her god wasn't real. As long as we never revert back to the days where church and state get too chummy again.

Bush's moral majority made it political not me. Actually Reagan started it. So dont cry when us atheists push back.

I get that I am talking to a true believer, so I honestly don't expect to get through to you. The only thing I have claimed is that your position is based upon belief. I have repeatedly asked you for the evidence to support your position and you have repeatedly berated me for having the temerity to do so. Obviously, you have no evidence. You are operating on belief and belief alone. You just don't have the honesty to admit it. That is not my problem. But don't expect a free ride.
Um, no. You have claimed atheism is a religion. Then, as now, you are unable to support that position. Then, as now, you hope not to be held accountable for your specious opinions and instead, seek to impose your dogma on others.

What I have maintained is that some people, and you are certainly included in that, have turned Atheism into a religion. As evidence I present your post. I ask you for evidence and you respond that I am imposing dogma on you. I am not allowed to question, not allowed to ask for support. I am to accept without question.

Of course, Atheism doesn't have dogma, so this dogma can't be dogma. It is wrong of me to even consider it.
What you're hoping to do is sidestep any accounting for your indefensible claims.

Your claim is that "atheism is a religion". How is that so? You consistently sidestep addressing that.

Some atheists do treat atheism like a religion.

The exact opposite is true. You christians can commit adultery "he who has list in his heart has already commited adultery" and murder "get an abortion" but if you are sorry and believe you think you are forgiven of all your sins. See how it is you who uses religion to give yourself a pass on being a sinner? Dont you admit you all sin?

well yes we all sin, REGRETFULLY... we are human and surrounded by temptations.. satain is a powerful source and dwells strongly in many. Repentance is our way of apologizing just as you apologize to your wife or husband when you do something that hurts them.. it's not about living a sin free life cause there will always be sin as long as satain has a role on this earth.. it's about accepting jesus as lord and savior. But committing adultery and abortion does not happen often if you are true faithful believer and have a good heart. And I understand abortion is a rough topic but there are plenty of other avenues of approach if you cannot take care of a child...

The "born again" thingy is pretty cool. A supposed free pass to get a mulligan from the gawds, and sometimes parole boards.

Everyone follows their own path. He chose to follow the unbelieving one. Good for him. His problem.
If everyone would just STOP trying to drag others to THEIR path, things might be more pleasant.
That would be nice in theory but religions are all about gaining members. The history of religious wars of conquest and conversion doesn't lend itself to the "live and let live" environment. This is why you have numerous factions of religionists, all asserting either directly or indirectly that they are right, which means -- despite the claims of tolerance, the others must be wrong.

No religion claims itself secondary in comparison to its competition. That would dismantle the authority of every religion ("Well, we're sort of right," said the Dalai Lama, "But you know, maybe those Christians are really right." Uh, not likely.)

If you are a Moslem as opposed to a Christian, your very self-identification tells me that you are announcing Islamism to be right, and Christianity to be wrong-- unless you are purposely following a doctrine you believe is wrong (I suppose some people might do that, but whatever for?).

I'm not saddled with the compulsive admonition of “believe as you’re told or be consigned to everlasting pain and torment”. Think about it, what is the best way to get someone to believe as you wish for them to? FEAR!. Scare the hell out of him. Tell the people that those of the competing sect / religion are on a paved road to hell....and you will generate all the fear and loathing for competing religions you wish for. And let's be honest, generating fear and loathing for the competing religion is what makes religions great.

Now as a Christian that is completely incorrect.... it's not a battle or right and wrong nor is it about trying to gain members. In every religion, people believe because they see TRUTH. Most doctrines have very similar context in a lot of areas. The thing that sets Christianity apart is Jesus. It is the only book (that I know of) to have god walk on this earth. Not only are there many accounts of his miracles they have evidence of his shroud he was buried in. Now of course you can say that is fake and it would be hard to convince you otherwise if you don't believe. But when you have seen some of the things I have it is hard to deny there is a greater power and Christianity makes the most sense to me.. yes there are many people who try to invoke fear which is not quite right but they are just doing that because they do care about people and do not want to see them live eternally in Hell....
Actually, no. In every religion, overwhelming, people inherent the majority religion. "Twoof" has nothing to do with it. Geography has everything to do with ones indoctrination into a particular system of religious belief and its associated dogma.

Atheists numbers are growing. You flat earth types are dinosaurs. I never even tried to convince my 91 year old yaya that her god wasn't real. As long as we never revert back to the days where church and state get too chummy again.

Bush's moral majority made it political not me. Actually Reagan started it. So dont cry when us atheists push back.

I'm not crying, because even if you outlaw religion and Gods, I still can worship and you and your lefty and righty extremists can't stop it. Cry and whine all you want. I don't believe religion and politics should mix but I am just one opinion.

Push all you want, you will look as intolerant and bigoted as your extreme right wing brethren.

I'm not crying, because even if you outlaw religion and Gods, I still can worship and you and your lefty and righty extremists can't stop it. Cry and whine all you want. I don't believe religion and politics should mix but I am just one opinion.

Push all you want, you will look as intolerant and bigoted as your extreme right wing brethren.
So you are agnostic about religion and politics? Dont have an opinion on anything?

So you are agnostic about religion and politics? Dont have an opinion on anything?

I have my opinions but I also believe everyone else has a right to their opinions. You seem to think religion is a great evil and the extreme right believe atheist is a great evil. The extreme left and extreme right are brothers, they are more alike than many think.

Have your opinion, you are entitled. That is an opinion.

If a very young child with no memory of religion or other people survived a plane or boat disaster and washed up on an island that had water and food but no humans would this child just start believing in a god? What if the kid was very bright and invented many tools and methods to make his/her life more comfortable and cut much of the time it would take to gather food, build fires and build shelters to better defend against the elements? Would this bright human also invent a sky fairy?

Surely the person would see con trails and possibly ships in the distance and surmise that other beings like him/her self inhabited the planet. Would the person figure out the planet is round? It would obviously see ships get lower on the horizon proving that the ocean bends downward in all directions in the distance.

How long before this single human sees a lightning strike cause a small fire and upon investigation notices that fire produces warmth and maybe cooks some living thing and the value of cooked food is made clear. Also the smoke produced might occur to be a way to signal passers by.

But with all this curiosity would the person without the benefit of peer pressure seek some divine explanation for the many questions he or she must have?

Atheists are in some ways very much like this waif. We reject nonsense and only deal with the reality that is our lives. When one is smart enough to reject all noise and just contemplate what to do with what is right in front of one's self and take complete responsibility for one's own actions and decisions the thought of a sky fairy would be ridiculous.

Sure, sometimes we feel alone. That is a good thing to be totally in touch with one's self and not concerned about what someone else thinks. Perhaps when someone in that position learns about fire they decide to NOT signal for help. Why would they? That person knows nothing of relationships with others therefore does not miss it.

Atheists are like that in that we don't care about the opinions of all of the millions of fools that believe in fantasy as the foundation of their existence. We don't need "support" to reinforce what is abundantly clear. We do not feel any need to reach out or be reached out to. We are stronger than you. We know what is real and that is enough. I doubt a serious group of atheists would waste the time talking about atheism. The religists are self-evidently fools and there would be no cause to discuss them either. We don't need a manual or a How-to book on dealing with nonsense. There would be plenty of conversation about real things but none about sky fairies. t would be a refreshing gathering to know you would not be suffering idiots. Unlikely though as atheists are busy by nature and there would be no reason to gather more important than what one is focused on in one's every day life.

I can think of nothing much more ridiculous a waste of time than to go to an atheist "church". Perhaps a gathering of atheists to work on a project protecting atheists from crazy religists. If christians,jews and muslims had their way they would certainly make laws that make non believers an illegal way of living. I know the muslims would put known atheists to death. People that believe in sky fairies are potentially dangerous.

Last edited:
Again. I would agree.
You remind me of me when I first started to see the truth. Good for you. Keep going. Its not enough to just reject religions. The true reality is that there very well may be no god.

But its better this way. Instead of the wishful thinking that you will live forever work towards helping the species live as long as possible.

That means going green and being pro science. Think you can handle it? Lol

Of course there may be no God. God is utterly irrelevant. I do not care if there is a God. I do, however, care about rational thought and logic. If you are going to claim your position is based upon that, then use it. I have no objection to belief, but don't claim it to be rational and logical.
But it is. Why dont you and I debate it. You start. So you tell me there is a god. I say I dont believe you. What do you say next?

No. You make the challenge, I get choice of weapons. So you tell me there is no god. I ask what evidence do you have to support that claim. What do you do next?

And do remember, you are claiming your position is based upon reason and logic, not belief.
Ha ha you can't even explain it its so dumb you know it. You have no logical evidence of god. You believe because you want to. You can't even define it.

I don't know how many times I have to say this - of course I have no evidence. There is no evidence. The thing is, you have no evidence and you can't define it either. So how are you different?

If a very young child with no memory of religion or other people survived a plane or boat disaster and washed up on an island that had water and food but no humans would this child just start believing in a god? What if the kid was very bright and invented many tools and methods to make his/her life more comfortable and cut much of the time it would take to gather food, build fires and build shelters to better defend against the elements? Would this bright human also invent a sky fairy?

Surely the person would see con trails and possibly ships in the distance and surmise that other beings like him/her self inhabited the planet. Would the person figure out the planet is round? It would obviously see ships get lower on the horizon proving that the ocean bends downward in all directions in the distance.

How long before this single human sees a lightning strike cause a small fire and upon investigation notices that fire produces warmth and maybe cooks some living thing and the value of cooked food is made clear. Also the smoke produced might occur to be a way to signal passers by.

But with all this curiosity would the person without the benefit of peer pressure seek some divine explanation for the many questions he or she must have?

Atheists are in some ways very much like this waif. We reject nonsense and only deal with the reality that is our lives. When one is smart enough to reject all noise and just contemplate what to do with what is right in front of one's self and take complete responsibility for one's own actions and decisions the thought of a sky fairy would be ridiculous.

Sure, sometimes we feel alone. That is a good thing to be totally in touch with one's self and not concerned about what someone else thinks. Perhaps when someone in that position learns about fire they decide to NOT signal for help. Why would they? That person knows nothing of relationships with others therefore does not miss it.

Atheists are like that in that we don't care about the opinions of all of the millions of fools that believe in fantasy as the foundation of their existence. We don't need "support" to reinforce what is abundantly clear. We do not feel any need to reach out or be reached out to. We are stronger than you. We know what is real and that is enough. I doubt a serious group of atheists would waste the time talking about atheism. The religists are self-evidently fools and there would be no cause to discuss them either. We don't need a manual or a How-to book on dealing with nonsense. There would be plenty of conversation about real things but none about sky fairies. t would be a refreshing gathering to know you would not be suffering idiots. Unlikely though as atheists are busy by nature and there would be no reason to gather more important than what one is focused on in one's every day life.

I can think of nothing much more ridiculous a waste of time than to go to an atheist "church". Perhaps a gathering of atheists to work on a project protecting atheists from crazy religists. If christians,jews and muslims had their way they would certainly make laws that make non believers an illegal way of living. I know the muslims would put known atheists to death. People that believe in sky fairies are potentially dangerous.

I'm a member of the Unitarian Church, although I rarely go anymore. I considered myself agnostic when I joined, and only at the request of my daughter did I find my way there. She's a persistent little shit. She bugged me for two years to take her to church, and I just couldn't stomach going back to the angry fundie church.

Not sure if you know anything about Unitarians, but they go by 7 principles. There is no set doctrine. It is a very diverse group, which includes atheists, agnostics, pagan's, etc...

These are people, IMO, who enjoy going to church without all the church. Or, they are people getting over their past religion...sort of like an AA meeting. :D

They are serious about social justice, and doing for the community....so it's not a waste IMO. My favorite thing that I enjoyed about going was hearing others and their stories of what led them to that church. And how refreshing it was to walk into a building and not all have to share the same brain. :p

You remind me of me when I first started to see the truth. Good for you. Keep going. Its not enough to just reject religions. The true reality is that there very well may be no god.

But its better this way. Instead of the wishful thinking that you will live forever work towards helping the species live as long as possible.

That means going green and being pro science. Think you can handle it? Lol

Of course there may be no God. God is utterly irrelevant. I do not care if there is a God. I do, however, care about rational thought and logic. If you are going to claim your position is based upon that, then use it. I have no objection to belief, but don't claim it to be rational and logical.
But it is. Why dont you and I debate it. You start. So you tell me there is a god. I say I dont believe you. What do you say next?

No. You make the challenge, I get choice of weapons. So you tell me there is no god. I ask what evidence do you have to support that claim. What do you do next?

And do remember, you are claiming your position is based upon reason and logic, not belief.
Ha ha you can't even explain it its so dumb you know it. You have no logical evidence of god. You believe because you want to. You can't even define it.

I don't know how many times I have to say this - of course I have no evidence. There is no evidence. The thing is, you have no evidence and you can't define it either. So how are you different?
Not explaining it to you again dummy

So much for that. Then let me tell you how we are different. I admit my position is not based upon evidence and you don't. That doesn't change the obvious fact your position is not based upon evidence, you just don't have the honesty to admit it.

So much for that. Then let me tell you how we are different. I admit my position is not based upon evidence and you don't. That doesn't change the obvious fact your position is not based upon evidence, you just don't have the honesty to admit it.
I explained to boss that psychologists explain why our primitive brains invented god but your primitive brain can't understand the evidence they put forth.

Forum List

Back