Former Classmate Of Both Candidates: 'Barack Will Smoke Romney' In Debates

Once Romney starts in on Obama's record Obama is going to have to lie or stand mute. These debates may be awful one sided..

The point of a Presidential debate is to increase one's vote count. By that metric debates are almost never that decisive. I've noticed that pundits and forum-dwellers alike seem fixated on the notion that a particularly articulate (we've gotten to the point where suggesting that Obama is "articulate" isn't offensive, right?) candidate will somehow conclusively demonstrate the rhetorical superiority of his or her position and win over some large swath of the country. In practice, with very few exceptions neither candidate does much better or worse than expected.

As I've said in other threads, I predict that in the Obama-Romney debates both candidates will come off as intelligent and in command of the facts. However, Romney will come off as rich (which is bad for some reason) and Obama will come off as likable and presidential (the latter by virtue of actually being president). I predict a small plus for Obama coming out of the debates. Of course, that all relies on expectations not being kept artificially low (or high) for Romney.

I would say that Romney seems to have distinguished himself in the primary debates more than Obama did. However, the competition was probably somewhat lower.

hate to break this to you, but Obama's hubris does not make him come off likeable.

I think debates are subjective. If you are making a decision based on the debates, then you are imagining things.

I would also point out that Romney has been getting increasingly better at debates after this primary season. And that Obama doesnt speak very well without a teleprompter.

The point of a Presidential debate is to increase one's vote count. By that metric debates are almost never that decisive. I've noticed that pundits and forum-dwellers alike seem fixated on the notion that a particularly articulate (we've gotten to the point where suggesting that Obama is "articulate" isn't offensive, right?) candidate will somehow conclusively demonstrate the rhetorical superiority of his or her position and win over some large swath of the country. In practice, with very few exceptions neither candidate does much better or worse than expected.

As I've said in other threads, I predict that in the Obama-Romney debates both candidates will come off as intelligent and in command of the facts. However, Romney will come off as rich (which is bad for some reason) and Obama will come off as likable and presidential (the latter by virtue of actually being president). I predict a small plus for Obama coming out of the debates. Of course, that all relies on expectations not being kept artificially low (or high) for Romney.

I would say that Romney seems to have distinguished himself in the primary debates more than Obama did. However, the competition was probably somewhat lower.

I dunno, Newt is pretty tough in a debate. Romney held his own but he never scathed him. I imagine that Romney will have plenty of debate ammo considering Obama's lackluster performance as president.

One thing that I have noticed about Obama is he doesn't seem presidential (we disagree on that) and Romney as always struck me as presidential looking. ~shrug~ Different folks, different opinions. I do agree with you about the weight being the incumbent brings with.

I have been saying for years now that Romney just looks presidential.

Once Romney starts in on Obama's record Obama is going to have to lie or stand mute. These debates may be awful one sided..

Nonsense. Obamas record is damned good.

If it comes down to Obamas record and its honest, Obama wins.

Romney needs to make it about what he will do differently, not how Obama has failed, because he hasnt.

I dunno, Newt is pretty tough in a debate. Romney held his own but he never scathed him. I imagine that Romney will have plenty of debate ammo considering Obama's lackluster performance as president.

One thing that I have noticed about Obama is he doesn't seem presidential (we disagree on that) and Romney as always struck me as presidential looking. ~shrug~ Different folks, different opinions. I do agree with you about the weight being the incumbent brings with.

Romney got Newt on the ropes in one of the debates after Romney had a fairly weak showing the debate just prior. It shows Romney can be coached in the locker room and come out make adjustments and win the second half. THAT is a BIG Romney strength.

Obama has to get on the attack and stay on the attack from new angles in every debate or Romney will counter punch and take him down.

Obama needs to take a page from Scott Walker. Walker was genius in the recall debate. I hate the guy, but hes a damned good debater.

Perception is a factor. I think it's kind of sad that so many people base things on looks and style rather than substance, but as I think Romney wins out on both substance and style, I think it benefits him all around.

Romney needs to make it about what he will do differently, not how Obama has failed, because he hasnt.

Aside from being President when our Seals killed Osama Bin Laden, what exactly in Obama's record is "damned good"?

The debates won't matter. Republicans still think Sarah Palin is "smart".

It's all comparative. When you put her up against people like Biden, Obama, or yourself, she looks like a genius. I think that says more about you guys than her.

Are we talking about the same guy?

obamaunpatriotic.jpg

By Sabrina Siddiqui

Sidney Barthwell, perhaps the only former classmate of both Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama, thinks the former Massachusetts governor doesn't stand a chance when facing the incumbent president in debates prior to their November electoral contest.

“When they debate, Barack will smoke Romney,” Barthwell, a district court magistrate in Michigan, said in an interview published by The Daily on Tuesday.

"Mitt Romney is smart,” he continued. “Having said all that, I still think he’s going to get smoked. The best he can do is hopefully come out not looking like a fool. Mitt will find out the hard way as soon as they have their first debate: You don’t debate Obama.”

Barthwell, 64, was the only black member of Romney's 1965 class at Cranbrook Schools and later attended Harvard Law School with Obama. He identifies himself as being politically independent, has donated money to both campaigns and has "tremendous respect" for both men, he said.

But whereas Obama struck Barthwell as "brilliant" at Harvard -- where the two became friendly while working together for the Black Law Student Association -- he recalled Romney's years at Cranbrook as nothing to write home about. "Mitt was not particularly popular. He was very, very ordinary."

More: Sidney Barthwell, Former Classmate, Predicts Trouble For Romney When Debating Obama

but Barry was all coked up back in the day giving him competitive edge in a contest of fast thinking fast talking

The debates won't matter. Republicans still think Sarah Palin is "smart".

It's all comparative. When you put her up against people like Biden, Obama, or yourself, she looks like a genius. I think that says more about you guys than her.

Not to mention BRAVE! She is a very brave women who has seen nothing but hate from the left directed at her and her children. Those sick bastards even attack her kids and then claim they care about children. Fucking ass-monkeys is all they give a damn about.

Newt did do well in the debates, but as you say Romney did not exactly consistently beat him in the debates. The candidates he seemed (to me) to defeat in the debates (Perry: "Oops") were weak debaters.

If you polled people in 2008 on who looked more presidential they probably would have picked Romney (and Edwards, McCain...) over Obama (and Clinton). But in 2012, Obama is president, and all else equal someone who is president seems more presidential than someone who isn't. Look at the last debates between a sitting president and a challenger: Transcript: Bush, Kerry debate domestic policies - CNN. I think Kerry would have been a better president than Bush, but there's no denying that Bush seems like the president and Kerry seems like a guy who would like to be president.

Newt did do well in the debates, but as you say Romney did not exactly consistently beat him in the debates. The candidates he seemed (to me) to defeat in the debates (Perry: "Oops") were weak debaters.

If you polled people in 2008 on who looked more presidential they probably would have picked Romney (and Edwards, McCain...) over Obama (and Clinton). But in 2012, Obama is president, and all else equal someone who is president seems more presidential than someone who isn't. Look at the last debates between a sitting president and a challenger: Transcript: Bush, Kerry debate domestic policies - CNN. I think Kerry would have been a better president than Bush, but there's no denying that Bush seems like the president and Kerry seems like a guy who would like to be president.

I dont think it's that his opponents were weak debaters. It's just that debates in this format are worthless and totally subjective.

Aside from being President when our Seals killed Osama Bin Laden, what exactly in Obama's record is "damned good"?

Got us out of Iraq, passed Obamacare, passed the Lilly Ledbetter ( sic? ) act, 20+ months straight of private sector job growth, "saved" GM, the "intervention in Libya, Signed the Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Act, The Credit card bill of Rights, $290 billion in Making Work Pay tax cuts, Tax credits for Health Insurance, added 4.6 billion to the Veterans Administration budget, Increased funding to national parks and forests by 10%, established the Consumer Finacial protection Bereau and appointed the first Latina to the supreme court in US history to name a few.

Now some of those things you might disagree with, as you are well within your rights to do, but to pretend as so many do on this board that his record is one of failure is just dishonest. The man has worked diligently to get his agenda through. Hes had numerouses successes.

Now take the Republican "obstructionism" and look at that the same way. Is it obstructionism to fight what you disagree with? Is that "obstructionism" not just a tactic to prevent going down a road they dont wish the country to go down?

If looked at in that sense, the so called obstuctionism is actually Republican victories. I disagree with their policies but one has to recognize the successes and failures of both sides if one is to remain honest.

Last edited:
It won't surprise me if Obama looks better in the debates. He's a smooth talker.

That's his problem: all style and no substance.

Forum List

Back