For trendy Iran youths, 'Death to USA' is so 1979

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Since everyone is talking about Iran, I thought this was an interesting article. I wouldn't be surprised if many young people around the world like American culture and try to copycat it. I can also see why in an interview with a Muslim comedian living here, he told the reporter that every time he goes to Iran to visit, his cousins ask him how they can come live in America too. I imagine the young people don't want to live under those hardliners, and who could blame them.

For trendy Iran youths, 'Death to USA' is so 1979

In the coffeehouses, some even regard the storming of the embassy and taking of hostages as rash acts that set off decades of self-inflicted economic hardship.

By Ramin Mostaghim and Patrick J. McDonnell
November 24, 2013, 5:30 a.m.

TEHRAN — As world powers in Geneva negotiate the future of Iran's nuclear development program, Islamist hard-liners here continue to warn of a deceitful, perfidious West scheming to enfeeble the Islamic Republic.

Yet in the trendy, smoke-filled cafes of this busy capital city, ritualistic denunciations of the United States are as passe as instant coffee among the mostly young, jeans-clad set.

"In art, in fashion, in cinema and in our daily lifestyle, we copycat American culture," said Sarah, proprietor of a cozy cafe in the basement of a high-rise in northwest Tehran. "There is a big difference between the approved culture and the reality of urban lifestyles in big cities like Tehran."

Just as Western perceptions of Iran are far from monolithic, the view here is diverse, especially among those born after the 1979 Islamic Revolution, roughly half the population. The passage of time, the growth of mass media, satellite television and the Internet, the relative ease of travel —

To continue read, go to:
For trendy Iran youths, 'Death to USA' is so 1979 - latimes.com

We have a number of Iranian students where I work and they echo some of those same sentiments - most chaf under the religious, political and economic restrictions they constantly run up against.

We have a number of Iranian students where I work and they echo some of those same sentiments - most chaf under the religious, political and economic restrictions they constantly run up against.

I can well imagine how these students must feel. Years and years ago there was a documentary filmed in Iran (probably undercover), and I remember the interviewer up at some ski resort with a group of young Iranians who were telling him how they felt about what was going on. Hopefully when all the current hardliners die out, it will be the youth who will be in charge. I think everyone can understand why thousands and thousands of Iranians, no matter their religion, fled the country to live in different parts of the world where they would have freedom. I would imagine you will find large populations of Iranians in the big cities in the U.S. I know there is a huge amount in my own neighborhood.

Polls show the vast majority of Iranian people are loyal and back their government in it's dealings with the Western nations.

But just like the 'Occupy Wall Street' nitwits we have in the U.S.

Iran also has their share of malcontent youth. . :cool:

Polls show the vast majority of Iranian people are loyal and back their government in it's dealings with the Western nations.

Why not prove this to us, and show us which age group makes up the majority in Iran. Strange how SunniMan, who would love to see the Shia pushed away in one enclave as he has stated, is now defending sthe hardliners. It seems that even when Muslims hate each other because of the sect they belong to, they will band together when it comes to Islam as a whole.

That's TRUE! To most Iranians, Death to America is like saying have a nice day.

Why not prove this to us, and show us which age group makes up the majority in Iran. Strange how SunniMan, who would love to see the Shia pushed away in one enclave as he has stated, is now defending sthe hardliners. It seems that even when Muslims hate each other because of the sect they belong to, they will band together when it comes to Islam as a whole.

The basic canon of Arab life. It was me against my brother; me and my brother against our father; my family against my cousins and the clan; the clan against the tribe; and the tribe against the world. And all of us against the infidel.

The basic canon of Arab life. It was me against my brother; me and my brother against our father; my family against my cousins and the clan; the clan against the tribe; and the tribe against the world. And all of us against the infidel.

So true, even if they happen to be converts to Islam like Sunni Man is. One would think that someone who was brought up here in America as Sunni Man was, he would have some sympathy for these youths. Perhaps Sunni Man should question the older Iranian Muslims in his area and ask them why they left Iran.

One would think that someone who was brought up here in America as Sunni Man was, he would have some sympathy for these youths.
Why should I have 'sympathy' for a bunch of snot nosed misfit youths?? . :cool:

Maybe that is your opinion of them, but others feel sympathy for them. I think the readers can figure out by now that Sunni Man just loves the hardliners no matter where they are.

Iranians aren't arabs.

Just saying.......... :cool:

Exactly.

I think calling them Arabs would be considered an insult...but, not surprising - people tend to lump all the people's of the middle east into Arabs and Jews and that's it.

The impression I get - and granted, it's from a very small sample of people is that they want to be part of the international community - greater interaction with the west and other countries, some more freedoms and opportunities but not necessarily a western style culture.

So true, even if they happen to be converts to Islam like Sunni Man is. One would think that someone who was brought up here in America as Sunni Man was, he would have some sympathy for these youths. Perhaps Sunni Man should question the older Iranian Muslims in his area and ask them why they left Iran.

Perhaps instead of chiding Sunni Man, who is Muslim, unlike most commenting here - you can instruct KatznDogz on the fact that Iranians are Persians, not Arabs :)

Maybe that is your opinion of them, but others feel sympathy for them. I think the readers can figure out by now that Sunni Man just loves the hardliners no matter where they are.
I am also a conservative Republican.

So sue me......... :cool:

Regardless of what you are, it is quite obvious that you don't feel for those youths in Iran. Imagine if you had to live under those conditions here in the U.S. when you were a youth and certainly before you became a hardline Muslim in your adult years. You make excuses in favor of the hardliners. Really, you should talk to some older ex-Iranians in the U.S. and ask them what they think with regard to these hardliners in Iran. Be sure to ask these people why they left instead of living in the Glorious Islamic Republic of Iran. They are very hospitable and will invite you into their homes for refreshments, and you can have a good gab-fest with them.

Regardless of what you are, it is quite obvious that you don't feel for those youths in Iran. Imagine if you had to live under those conditions here in the U.S. when you were a youth and certainly before you became a hardline Muslim in your adult years. You make excuses in favor of the hardliners. Really, you should talk to some older ex-Iranians in the U.S. and ask them what they think with regard to these hardliners in Iran. Be sure to ask these people why they left instead of living in the Glorious Islamic Republic of Iran. They are very hospitable and will invite you into their homes for refreshments, and you can have a good gab-fest with them.
Sally, you seem to be obsessed with everything I think, say, or do.

Being infatuated with another person over the internet can't be mentally healthy or good for a marriage.

Just saying........ :cool:

Are you in Iran? If you and they are in the US, they are under no such restrictions.

That's true in most every country. If you recall the Tiananmen Square protesters in China were mostly students. In the 60s in the US they were students or former students who had flunked out.

Forum List

Back