For the moron's who think Terry Schaivo can't recover

-Cp said:

It's a wonderful story, that has nothing to do with the Schiavo case. Terry didn't have a stroke, her brain was denied oxygen for 10 minutes or more, causing a majority of her brain to die. People recover from strokes all the time, it's impossible to recover from a dead brain.

MissileMan said:
It's a wonderful story, that has nothing to do with the Schiavo case. Terry didn't have a stroke, her brain was denied oxygen for 10 minutes or more, causing a majority of her brain to die. People recover from strokes all the time, it's impossible to recover from a dead brain.

See that's one of the big problems I've been having with all this. People have just written it off as impossible and haven't even tried anything. With all the advances modern medicine has come up with why on earth do we write anything off as impossible? Medicine makes what was impossible a decade ago common place today. If we continue this attitude and culture of death and support killing people rather than trying to fix their problems all the advances we are making will eventually come to an end. The history of the world is created by average men who didn't give up when the world said "it's impossible"

19 judges with the help of lots of doctors ruled she is
in the vegatative state and her husband has the right
to make the call.

Now the federal court goes at it because of congress.
Lets see what they come up with.

Making laws for individuals is wrong on so many levels.
If congress felt there is something wrong with the state courts
in matters of who decides about their relatives death they should
have made a law that applies for everyone. Maybe they still will
and shall be silenced. If not it is just political posturing on the topic
and they have earned another millennium in hell,
in their case its probably life anyway.

MissileMan said:

I'm inclined to agree. Even if medical science was capable of somehow restoring the dead brain tissue into healthy cells again, whatever persona emerged from such a Lazerus situation would be an entirely different individual. It would almost be as if you're brain was taken over by the 'Puppet Masters'.

her brain is "liquid" similar to spinal fluid (that is waht happens when it dies / deprived of oxygen) it can not recover....non the less leave her alone....killing her her does no good

-Cp said:

This woman's stroke was an example of a site specific injury, and I personally know a woman who, through her courage, efforts and the support of her family and friends made an excellent recoveryfrom a similar injury.

Anoxic brian damage, as Terri Schiavo suffered, is a different thing entirely. It is not limited to a specific site, its effects are global in nature and the first to suffer are the higher brain functions. The last to suffer are the functions of the mid-brain which control the autonomic nervous system which regulates respirations, heart-rate, GI motility and other reflexes.

When the blood supply to the brain is cut off, as happens in the case of a heart attack, there is a tiny window of 4-6 minutes to take action before the brain begins to die. For more information on anoxic brain injury, go here:

http://www.caregiver.org/caregiver/jsp/content_node.jsp?nodeid=575

Bullypulpit said:
This woman's stroke was an example of a site specific injury, and I personally know a woman who, through her courage, efforts and the support of her family and friends made an excellent recoveryfrom a similar injury.

Anoxic brian damage, as Terri Schiavo suffered, is a different thing entirely. It is not limited to a specific site, its effects are global in nature and the first to suffer are the higher brain functions. The last to suffer are the functions of the mid-brain which control the autonomic nervous system which regulates respirations, heart-rate, GI motility and other reflexes.

When the blood supply to the brain is cut off, as happens in the case of a heart attack, there is a tiny window of 4-6 minutes to take action before the brain begins to die. For more information on anoxic brain injury, go here:

http://www.caregiver.org/caregiver/jsp/content_node.jsp?nodeid=575

so what--let the parents take care of whats left !!-------wont happen tho because of the laws

See that's one of the big problems I've been having with all this. People have just written it off as impossible and haven't even tried anything. With all the advances modern medicine has come up with why on earth do we write anything off as impossible? Medicine makes what was impossible a decade ago common place today. If we continue this attitude and culture of death and support killing people rather than trying to fix their problems all the advances we are making will eventually come to an end. The history of the world is created by average men who didn't give up when the world said "it's impossible"

How many times do you have to hear dead brain before you can comprehend there is nothing left TO rehibilitate?

manu1959 said:
her brain is "liquid" similar to spinal fluid (that is waht happens when it dies / deprived of oxygen) it can not recover....non the less leave her alone....killing her her does no good

They are leaving her alone, and letting her die.

MissileMan said:
How many times do you have to hear dead brain before you can comprehend there is nothing left TO rehibilitate?

Simply because it hasnt happened before doesn't mean it can't.

Terry Schiavo is a vegetable, every medical doctor who has ever examined her, regardless of political affiliation, has said there is no chance of recovery. She does not know her name, whether its day or night hell she probably doesn't know she's alive. I think 15 years of no change in condition is proof enough.

Now having said that I can understand the parents plight, I just think they are unwilling to accept reality, I mean no parent wants to turn the lights out on a child but hey, adults, mature adults make tough decisions sometimes.

OCA said:
Terry Schiavo is a vegetable, every medical doctor who has ever examined her, regardless of political affiliation, has said there is no chance of recovery. She does not know her name, whether its day or night hell she probably doesn't know she's alive. I think 15 years of no change in condition is proof enough.

Now having said that I can understand the parents plight, I just think they are unwilling to accept reality, I mean no parent wants to turn the lights out on a child but hey, adults, mature adults make tough decisions sometimes.
pretty shitty thing for a son-in-law to do tho---gotta admit

hell he has moved on already with as much money as he could get out of it

OCA said:

Actually. there are professionals who believe the opposite.

dilloduck said:
I feel for her parents---the husband got his million--can't her let them have the "body" ?

And how much of that million do you suppose was spent on Terry's care? I read that there's only 40-50 thousand left.

MissileMan said:
And how much of that million do you suppose was spent on Terry's care? I read that there's only 40-50 thousand left.

About half, the other half went to the lawyers in order to let her go.

Forum List

Back