For Once

Treeshepherd

Wood Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2014
Endor
I'll go first. This example is pretty obvious. SLAVERY--Gawd approves of slavery, but men condemn slavery. We even fought a war over it because it's repulsive.

When people claim they get their morals from reading the Bible, I'm thinking REALLY? How so? I mean, we are way ahead concerning ethics and morality...way ahead.

Okay, your turn.

The book of Exodus is fundamentally about liberation from slavery, and certainly was an inspiration for every historical abolitionist movement of Western Civilization. After being an entrenched 10,000 year old human economic system, slavery was first eradicated in Bible literate countries. It took a very long time for other cultures to catch up.

For once on the internet, I'd like to see religion bashers step their game up. Carla Danger, Agit8er, Sealy, Luddy, Holly, D4E et al., I'd like for once that any of you should advance beyond a 1st level unrefined newbie level in your critique of religion. You string up televangelists and white supremacists like pinatas and then whack at them without a blindfold. Yeah, we get it... people are gullible.

Go after the philosophy of the European and American abolitionist movements, which were principally Christian. Take on the pacifist philosophy of Leo Tolstoy. Ridicule the Christianity of MLK, whose doctorates were after all not in astrophysics. Attack Immanuel Kant. Thomas Merton. The great American Quaker William Penn, tear him a new one. Kierkegaard. JRR Tolkien.

Fact is, you have no clue what the history of Christianity or any other religion is unless you've genuinely submersed yourself in the great writers who represent those religions. You are inspired by themes and sentiments in modern culture, and you have no clue that they spring from the very root you strike at.

The Chinese ended their slavery on their own, without the Bible, before the Europeans did.
Slavery almost disappeared entirely from European Christendom during the 10 Middle Age centuries. It returned during the Colonial Era.
A fundamental principle of Buddhism is the alleviation of suffering. Taoist ideas about suffering and evil reflect a variety of influences, including early Chinese religious beliefs. Early Chinese religion was directed toward an audience where slavery was an entrenched economic institution. However, Buddhist doctrine prohibits monastic engagement in any form of slavery, and Buddhist teachings are filled with stories about liberation. The point is, religion certainly played a fundamental part in historical emancipation laws in China.

It's worth noting that since the Communist Party has held power in China (since 1949), atheist rules prohibit party members from belonging to a religion. And today, China is hardly a shining light upon a hill in regard to liberty. Among many incidences, the "2007 Chinese slave scandal involved thousands of slaves, including, thousands of children, who had gone missing and were forced to work in brickyards.[2] Slavery in China also includes domestic servitude and forced begging."

People are locked up in factories as well, not technically slaves, but paid very little and with the law on the side of their taskmasters. China... not a compelling example of atheist liberty.

But, I'm being unfair. I'm doing what serial religion-bashers love to do most; engaging in a type of moral equivalence; taking things out of context; putting the cart before the horse; looking at things through a modern lens and judging it by 1st world standards.

I'd like to take the conversation beyond slavery. Religion-bashers on this board like to play a tiny game, like tiddly winks or hungry hippos. That is where they dwell. They certainly aren't going to willingly recognize that the power of MLK's Dream speech is rooted in scripture. They've probably never read Hugo's Les Miserables (a powerful and poetic treatise on the beauty of Christianity). So, I expect to be talking mostly to myself...

The Chinese ended their slavery on their own, without the Bible, before the Europeans did.
Slavery almost disappeared entirely from European Christendom during the 10 Middle Age centuries. It returned during the Colonial Era.
A fundamental principle of Buddhism is the alleviation of suffering. Taoist ideas about suffering and evil reflect a variety of influences, including early Chinese religious beliefs. Early Chinese religion was directed toward an audience where slavery was an entrenched economic institution. However, Buddhist doctrine prohibits monastic engagement in any form of slavery, and Buddhist teachings are filled with stories about liberation. The point is, religion certainly played a fundamental part in historical emancipation laws in China.

It's worth noting that since the Communist Party has held power in China (since 1949), atheist rules prohibit party members from belonging to a religion. And today, China is hardly a shining light upon a hill in regard to liberty. Among many incidences, the "2007 Chinese slave scandal involved thousands of slaves, including, thousands of children, who had gone missing and were forced to work in brickyards.[2] Slavery in China also includes domestic servitude and forced begging."

People are locked up in factories as well, not technically slaves, but paid very little and with the law on the side of their taskmasters. China... not a compelling example of atheist liberty.

But, I'm being unfair. I'm doing what serial religion-bashers love to do most; engaging in a type of moral equivalence; taking things out of context; putting the cart before the horse; looking at things through a modern lens and judging it by 1st world standards.

I'd like to take the conversation beyond slavery. Religion-bashers on this board like to play a tiny game, like tiddly winks or hungry hippos. That is where they dwell. They certainly aren't going to willingly recognize that the power of MLK's Dream speech is rooted in scripture. They've probably never read Hugo's Les Miserables (a powerful and poetic treatise on the beauty of Christianity). So, I expect to be talking mostly to myself...
I'm listening, and googling Hugo's Les Miserables right now.

I'll go first. This example is pretty obvious. SLAVERY--Gawd approves of slavery, but men condemn slavery. We even fought a war over it because it's repulsive.

When people claim they get their morals from reading the Bible, I'm thinking REALLY? How so? I mean, we are way ahead concerning ethics and morality...way ahead.

Okay, your turn.

The book of Exodus is fundamentally about liberation from slavery, and certainly was an inspiration for every historical abolitionist movement of Western Civilization. After being an entrenched 10,000 year old human economic system, slavery was first eradicated in Bible literate countries. It took a very long time for other cultures to catch up.

For once on the internet, I'd like to see religion bashers step their game up. Carla Danger, Agit8er, Sealy, Luddy, Holly, D4E et al., I'd like for once that any of you should advance beyond a 1st level unrefined newbie level in your critique of religion. You string up televangelists and white supremacists like pinatas and then whack at them without a blindfold. Yeah, we get it... people are gullible.

Go after the philosophy of the European and American abolitionist movements, which were principally Christian. Take on the pacifist philosophy of Leo Tolstoy. Ridicule the Christianity of MLK, whose doctorates were after all not in astrophysics. Attack Immanuel Kant. Thomas Merton. The great American Quaker William Penn, tear him a new one. Kierkegaard. JRR Tolkien.

Fact is, you have no clue what the history of Christianity or any other religion is unless you've genuinely submersed yourself in the great writers who represent those religions. You are inspired by themes and sentiments in modern culture, and you have no clue that they spring from the very root you strike at.

Please quote the bible verses where Jesus condemns slavery and tells Christians to free all of the slaves.

So I'm conflicted on how to handle a domestic issue, and the christian allowances for slavery are not making it clear how I should proceed.

Here's my conflict, from Leviticus 25:45-46 (Christians are aware, are they not, of the theft of Hebrew scripture used for the invention of christianity)
"Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession."

Here's my problem. One of the 4 year neighborhood children of the heathens around me actually has converted to Judaism. Now, technically the child is still heathen, at least by blood. Can I buy this child anyway, or does the conversion override the bloodline issue? I suspect that a 4 year old isn't old enough to make such a decision regarding their status, so I can buy and enslave him anyway.

Can any good christian enlighten me on how the bibles resolve such a conflict?

Thanks

Okay, your turn.

Please quote the bible verses where Jesus condemns slavery and tells Christians to free all of the slaves.

I'll mail you a 10 dollar bill, if you can show me anywhere, in the Bible, that Jesus used the term, Christian.

Okay, your turn.

A liberator frees people from oppression and confinement. Jesus uses slavery as an example for how God treats people.

So capitalism is the driving force behind slavery. Slavery is extremely profitable. Colonizers that didn't use slavery would fall behind the other colonizers economically, so they all used slavery.

And we see the same in China now. Capitalism shows up, slavery follows.

And religion or atheism has little to do with it, pro or con. The powerful use whatever excuses are available to justify themselves.

They've probably never read Hugo's Les Miserables (a powerful and poetic treatise on the beauty of Christianity). So, I expect to be talking mostly to myself...

And Zola's "Germinal" would be a literary example of how capitalism fosters slavelike conditions.

Okay, your turn.

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hathanointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preachdeliveranceto the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, Luke 4:18

Okay, your turn.

Interesting.

Exodus 21 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
Other Laws and Commands
21 Then God said to Moses, “These are the other laws that you will give to the people:

2 “If you buy a Hebrew slave, then that slave will serve for only six years. After six years, he will be free, and he will have to pay nothing. 3 If he is not married when he becomes your slave, when he becomes free, he will leave without a wife. But if the man is married when he becomes your slave, then he will keep his wife at the time he is made free. 4 If the slave is not married, the master can give him a wife. If that wife gives birth to sons or daughters, she and her children will belong to the master. After the slave is finished with his years of service, he will be made free.

Exodus 21 ERV - Other Laws and Commands - Then God said - Bible Gateway

Okay, your turn.

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hathanointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preachdeliveranceto the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, Luke 4:18

As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

Leviticus 25:44-46

Okay, your turn.

Sounds like your verse is about prisoners, not slaves.

Who Is the Trusted Servant?

41 Peter said, “Lord, did you tell this story for us or for all people?”

42 The Lord said, “Who is the wise and trusted servant? The master trusts one servant to give the other servants their food at the right time. Who is the servant that the master trusts to do that work? 43 When the master comes and finds him doing the work he gave him, it will be a day of blessing for that servant! 44 I can tell you without a doubt, the master will choose that servant to take care of everything he owns.

45 “But what will happen if that servant is evil and thinks his master will not come back soon? He will begin to beat the other servants, men and women. He will eat and drink until he has had too much. 46 Then the master will come when the servant is not ready, at a time when the servant is not expecting him. Then the master will punish that servant and send him away to be with the other people who don’t obey.

47 “That servant knew what his master wanted him to do. But he did not make himself ready or try to do what his master wanted. So that servant will be punished very much!48 But what about the servant who does not know what his master wants? He also does things that deserve punishment. But he will get less punishment than the servant who knew what he should do. Whoever has been given much will be responsible for much. Much more will be expected from the one who has been given more.”

Luke 12 ERV - Don t Be Like the Pharisees - Many - Bible Gateway

Okay, your turn.

Exodus 21 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
Other Laws and Commands

7 “A man might decide to sell his daughter as a slave. If this happens, the rules for making her free are not the same as the rules for making the men slaves free.8 If the master who chose her for himself is not pleased with her, then he can sell the woman back to her father. If the master broke his promise to marry her, he loses the right to sell her to other people.9 If the master promised to let the slave woman marry his son, he must treat her like a daughter, not like a slave.

Exodus 21 ERV - Other Laws and Commands - Then God said - Bible Gateway

So I'm conflicted on how to handle a domestic issue, and the christian allowances for slavery are not making it clear how I should proceed.

Here's my conflict, from Leviticus 25:45-46 (Christians are aware, are they not, of the theft of Hebrew scripture used for the invention of christianity)
"Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession."

Here's my problem. One of the 4 year neighborhood children of the heathens around me actually has converted to Judaism. Now, technically the child is still heathen, at least by blood. Can I buy this child anyway, or does the conversion override the bloodline issue? I suspect that a 4 year old isn't old enough to make such a decision regarding their status, so I can buy and enslave him anyway.

Thanks
I am sorry you carry so much hate around with you.

Thanks

That's quite a dilemma. I'm gonna start the clock.

11320132326176.gif

Thanks

Maybe you should try reading that book you carry around.

Thanks

I am sorry you can't defend your position. Maybe you can hurl a bible quote at me threatening eternal damnation.

Thanks

I have read It, many time

Thanks

Maybe you should try reading that book you carry around.
I have read It, many times, and I don't carry hate around with me(except maybe for child molesters and those who just hurt children). Unlike you and Hollie and many others on here, who show your unhealthy hatred to anyone who professes to be a Christian.

Forum List

Back