For now, EVERYONE can afford health insurance

asterism

Congress != Progress
Jul 29, 2010
Central Florida
By request, this thread is to discuss obtaining health insurance through the Affordable Care Act. Some disclosures:

• I'm an insurance agent licensed in Florida
  • I'm certified by HHS to write policies in the FFM (Federally Facilitated Marketplace - aka healthcare.gov)
  • I hold the PHIAS designation, which is a national credential for experts in health insurance (it's not hard, it's just a lot of information)
  • I'm not soliciting business. If you want an insurance agent, find one at Agent Finder (click the words "Agent Finder") for no additional cost to you. You'll get the same rates through an agent as you can get on you own, but you'll get the expertise of a professional in guiding you through the enrollment process and giving you information about doctor networks and ways to qualify for federal subsidies.
  • I don't support this law, but it's the law. I have an obligation to do what is best for my clients.
  • I think that the entire system has been designed to fail so the support to enact Medicare for All happens, but that's just informed speculation on my part.
  • Before the crash, we might as well ethically comply with the existing system for our own benefit.
  • I am not employed by any insurance company. I own my own insurance practice and have a vendor relationship with a Managing General Agency. I am neither paid to post this nor am I penalized for my opinions. This thread is to simply convey accurate information.

The place to start is this chart:

mP4J5kD.jpg

Find the size of your family (you and everyone else in your household as reflected on your tax return). If your income falls below the "400%" column then you probably qualify for federal subsidies for individual (non-employer) health insurance. Subsidies range from a few dollars a month to literally thousands of dollars off your maximum out of pocket costs in a year for your family depending on your income and household size. A Central Florida divorced mother of one child making $23K per year qualifies for a $323 per month subsidy on a $358 premium. Also by choosing a subsidized "Silver" plan the deductible and maximum out of pocket levels are $500 and $750 for the family.

If you think you might qualify and you aren't eligible for employer coverage, you can get an estimate of your benefits here:

ValuePenguin | Insuring Your Decisions With Data

Pick your state, plug in the household details (anonymously) and income and you'll get a list of plans and your subsidy estimate. I highly recommend finding an agent if you think you qualify for something that works for you (Agent Finder) because there are a bunch of variables and specifics.

The floor is open to questions and discussion. Don't post any personal information. Don't PM me personal information. Don't debate the intricacies of the law here.

Last edited:
While not all the information needed to determine marginal rates of subsidy recapture when someone gets a not overly large raise it sure is a start. I do hope you also have rates because this looks like it could hit more than 1,000,000% penalty rates at the margin with payment in aftertax income.

I offer an alternative to just complying as is.
And insist by petition, letter or protest to both parties,
that the process be opened up and made equal for members of both parties
to develop programs by free choice of funding and participation.

Otherwise, to me for one, to participate or legitimatize this bill in any way
is to participate in "conspiring to violate civil rights of myself and others"
who believe in free choice how to pay for health care without these ACA mandates.

So to prevent me from being forced to violate laws on Constitutional equality,
I urge and protest members of both parties to insist on separate but equal
interpretations of law, where those who believe in mandates can imposed them
through their party, and those who believe they should be voluntary retain free choice,
along with EQUAL responsibility to set up a free market system, where the users of
that system agree to pay or absorb the difference that isn't covered.

As long as people don't believe in each other's systems, they shouldn't be forced by federal govt to follow or fund them or be subject to a fine to pay into them by law.

Until any system is proven to work FOR THE PERSON PAYING, and is freely chosen,
then it is faith based and must remain voluntary and equal choice, not mandated by govt.

If you choose ACA, that's fine, but insist that it be shifted to Obama and the Democrat party to pay for all the people and costs and shortages under this system, and give other people and parties equal freedom to separate out and pay into and under their own system, too.

By request, this thread is to discuss obtaining health insurance through the Affordable Care Act. Some disclosures:

• I'm an insurance agent licensed in Florida
  • I'm certified by HHS to write policies in the FFM (Federally Facilitated Marketplace - aka healthcare.gov)
  • I hold the PHIAS designation, which is a national credential for experts in health insurance (it's not hard, it's just a lot of information)
  • I'm not soliciting business. If you want an insurance agent, find one at Agent Finder (click the words "Agent Finder") for no additional cost to you. You'll get the same rates through an agent as you can get on you own, but you'll get the expertise of a professional in guiding you through the enrollment process and giving you information about doctor networks and ways to qualify for federal subsidies.
  • I don't support this law, but it's the law. I have an obligation to do what is best for my clients.
  • I think that the entire system has been designed to fail so the support to enact Medicare for All happens, but that's just informed speculation on my part.
  • Before the crash, we might as well ethically comply with the existing system for our own benefit.
  • I am not employed by any insurance company. I own my own insurance practice and have a vendor relationship with a Managing General Agency. I am neither paid to post this nor am I penalized for my opinions. This thread is to simply convey accurate information.

The place to start is this chart:

mP4J5kD.jpg

Find the size of your family (you and everyone else in your household as reflected on your tax return). If your income falls below the "400%" column then you probably qualify for federal subsidies for individual (non-employer) health insurance. Subsidies range from a few dollars a month to literally thousands of dollars off your maximum out of pocket costs in a year for your family depending on your income and household size. A Central Florida divorced mother of one child making $23K per year qualifies for a $323 per month subsidy on a $358 premium. Also by choosing a subsidized "Silver" plan the deductible and maximum out of pocket levels are $500 and $750 for the family.

If you think you might qualify and you aren't eligible for employer coverage, you can get an estimate of your benefits here:

ValuePenguin | Insuring Your Decisions With Data

Pick your state, plug in the household details (anonymously) and income and you'll get a list of plans and your subsidy estimate. I highly recommend finding an agent if you think you qualify for something that works for you (Agent Finder) because there are a bunch of variables and specifics.

The floor is open to questions and discussion. Don't post any personal information. Don't PM me personal information. Don't debate the intricacies of the law here.

Forum List

Back