Food Stamp Use Surges to An All-Time High of 45.8 Million

Discussion in 'Economy' started by hvactec, Aug 21, 2011.

1. hvactec

hvactec VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132
    “The total number of U.S. food stamp recipients” recently rose “to an all-time high of 45.8 million people." As the Chicago Tribune noted, that’s “nearly 15 percent of the U.S. population.” “The average food stamp benefit was $133.80 per person” — which is more than I spent on food as a bachelor — “and $283.65 per household” — which is more than my family typically spends on food in a month.

Loopholes in the law have enabled even millionaires to collect food stamps. Food stamp fraud has also exploded. As states try to implement antifraud measures, “The Obama administration is responding by cracking down on state governments’ antifraud measures,”noted James Bovard in the Wall Street Journal. Food stamp amounts are generous enough to make fraud worthwhile for even some non-poor people.

READ MORE Food Stamp Use Surges to An All-Time High of 45.8 Million Recipients; More Fraud - Washington DC SCOTUS | Examiner.com

2. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    It used to be people were ASHAMED to have to use food stamps, today they laugh at how they can get over the system and take advantage of the Americans taxpayers.

sad

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    RW will be right in here to change the economy from "Obama recovery mode" to "Tea Party holds the country hostage and forced people on food stamps!" Mode! It's been about 2 weeks so RW is due to flip flop on if the economy is getting better or worse, but the blame is always the same lol!

4. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Well hell's bells! Why isn't the economy booming? I mean each dollar in food stamps causes an 87% profit after all to listen to the leftwing kooks!

And they're always right. :razz:

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Sad isn't it?

45.8 million Americans whose incomes are not 130% of the official poverty rate.

I was on the SNAP program a couple years ago for about a year until my income came back on line.

That safety net came in mighty handy that year, let me tell you.

Without that, and heating assistence I'd have had to sell my home and then probably become a total ward of the state.

It was an embarrassment at first to use the card, but as so many of my neighbors find themselves ALSO for the first time needing help, I got used to it.

Never thought I'd be needing that kind of help, of course, but I am damned glad it was there when I needed it.

6. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Nothing wrong with a SHORT TERM safety net... run by private charity, supported by donations, not taxes. That's the way it SHOULD be.

You know, That would be one deduction I'd consider having if we put in a flat tax, and that's charitable deductions to these types of programs. Then people would be doing their duty to help their fellow man in the way they see fit, and we don't then have to suffer under onerous taxation to support causes we find immoral or just plain don't support.

7. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,220
    Private charity is not sufficient, because too many Americans have done well by the system but do not want to support the social compact. Fuck em. They will support the compact. Nuff said.

8. driveby

driveby Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,325
    Conservatives donate more to charity than liberals, but thanks for the marxist inspired words, comrade......

9. sparky

sparky VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Most of us either have been, or will be on some sort of government program

might be unemployment, food stamps, or SS , medicare, medicade, pensions ,etc

now i know you self made libertopians out there eshew this

so here's my Q to you

given the CHOICE, would you rather see your tax $$$$'s spent on these programs for AMERICANS, or would you rather be spending it on foriegn nationals?

~S~

10. Warrior102

Warrior102 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,029
    I was behind this white-trash woman in the Food Lion the other night - tattoo's all over her - four mixed-raced obnoxious children running and screaming all over the place - extremely misbehaved - she's buying steak, shrimp, top of the line stuff - signs her "govmint" check while on the cell phone, steps into her SUV with the heathen children and her 20 bags of chow - paid for by me (and you, the taxpayer). BTW - she had an Obama/Biden sticker on the SUV.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2