Food Pantry Snobs.

Milk rice beans and corn?

My god that is the worst diet one could eat.

Not if one knows how to cook and is trying to avoid starvation. I'd throw potatoes into the list, because of the nutrients. Eggs too for that matter. Not that I'm agreeing with the 'free' part, but if one is trying to survive and uses those basics as the backbone of a diet? Yes.

Is organic sheshe high end expensive peanut butter on the list of subsistence items? You don't need organic anything to survive.

If you can get more food for the buck to give out over "organic" anything.....i am all for feeding the masses, not feeding vanity, snobbery or pride.

You misunderstood my take on this. Why is the food pantry buying peanut butter in the first place? Donations of whatever brand, fine. But when the food pantry is buying food, to alleviate hunger, IMO they should be buying: rice, noodles, bread, potatoes, apples, pears, etc., that have a long storage life and provide both nutrients and calories, the sustenance of life.

Not if one knows how to cook and is trying to avoid starvation. I'd throw potatoes into the list, because of the nutrients. Eggs too for that matter. Not that I'm agreeing with the 'free' part, but if one is trying to survive and uses those basics as the backbone of a diet? Yes.

Is organic sheshe high end expensive peanut butter on the list of subsistence items? You don't need organic anything to survive.

If you can get more food for the buck to give out over "organic" anything.....i am all for feeding the masses, not feeding vanity, snobbery or pride.

You misunderstood my take on this. Why is the food pantry buying peanut butter in the first place? Donations of whatever brand, fine. But when the food pantry is buying food, to alleviate hunger, IMO they should be buying: rice, noodles, bread, potatoes, apples, pears, etc., that have a long storage life and provide both nutrients and calories, the sustenance of life.

I actually think peanut butter is a good source of protein...and kids like it. So ill not argue with them purchasing it and distributing it with funds.... but buying organic when you can make thus dollars go so much farther with regular Skippy...or even better..... generic brand... Ill go with making the dollars go farther then to stroke the organic fad.

Also, what you and i can buy is totally different then what you can buy by the pallet full. The money goes a lot farther and will buy a lot more when purchased in bulk.

This was just on our local news, so i dont think there is a link for it sorry.

The local news here just ran a story for one of the surrounding cities food banks. The director of the food bank was saying how they want to give the clients they provide for high quality food with the money that they have.

I agree, high quality food is very important.

However, she was complaining they did not have enough funds and that they ..... oh no .... had to buy regular peanut butter since the price of peanut butter was so high now. Regular peanut better? It turns out she meant Skippy peanut as "regular" peanut butter.

I would appear that they prefer to purchase higher priced organic peanut butter to give out.

The story annoyed the hell out of me on several levels. First off if you are in need of help, demanding organic high priced anything is ridiculous. In my opinion Skippy peanut butter is just fine, so spending funding that is running thin on snob food is crazy.

Skippy sucks! Jiff for me. I can afford organic PB and farm made cheese and butter, but if I was looking for a hand out, I sure as hell wouldn't demand top shelf.

I have a special interest in "organic" food. Originally, "organic" was used to describe food produced by small, local producers who grew their food and raised livestock without feedlots and loads of fertilizers, etc. As demand grew, they were able to command premium prices for what truly were superior food products. But then big agribusiness took notice. Not only were they losing a (minuscule) market share, those prices were outrageous.
So, big agribusiness did what it always does, it paid for some government legislation that "defined" what could be "organic". Of course, those definitions favored their production methods, with some small changes, of course. Now, unless you buy your "organic" food locally, from a small producer, usually at farmers' markets or similar venue, you are getting the same crap you get when you by "inorganic" foods. Produced, processed, packaged, distributed, and sold by agribusiness, "organic" means little more than an expensive "brand name" label.

And as usual, compliance with government regulations regarding "organic" products is expensive and time-consuming, and big ag is usually exempted from many of the regs.

What Does the USDA Organic Label Really Mean? | Care2 Causes

Organic Food - Myths Realities And Nonsense To Know About | RSA Blog

How Big Agribusiness Is Taking Over The Cereal And Granola Aisle | Preda Fair Trade, Philippines

The local news here just ran a story for one of the surrounding cities food banks. The director of the food bank was saying how they want to give the clients they provide for high quality food with the money that they have.

However, she was complaining they did not have enough funds and that they ..... oh no .... had to buy regular peanut butter since the price of peanut butter was so high now. Regular peanut better? It turns out she meant Skippy peanut as "regular" peanut butter.

I would appear that they prefer to purchase higher priced organic peanut butter to give out.

The story annoyed the hell out of me on several levels. First off if you are in need of help, demanding organic high priced anything is ridiculous. In my opinion Skippy peanut butter is just fine, so spending funding that is running thin on snob food is crazy.

Skippy sucks! Jiff for me. I can afford organic PB and farm made cheese and butter, but if I was looking for a hand out, I sure as hell wouldn't demand top shelf.

Its not even in the needy demanding top shelf so much, so ill cut the needy here some slack. Its the food pantrys idea of what hand outs should be that kills me. They, of all people, should should be aware of how many are in need right now and stretching that donated dollar as far as it can go is the most important thing. Not some feel good sheshe organic everything mentality.

I don't believe that it is more healthy than non-organic

It is healthier. No pesiticides or petroleum based fertilizers are used. Living soil = superior nutrition and taste and industrial monoculture is grown on dead soil with chemicals. It has been proven in study after study that organics have vastly more nutrients than non-organic. Maybe we should take control of our food subsidies from Monsanto and Cargill and have the US government subsidize sustainably grown crops instead of corn and soybeans.

Who gives a fuck if there are emulsifiers or guar gum in your non-organic Skippy compared to the organic stuff...it's not going to hurt you.

I do. How do you know it won't hurt you? Lots of things in processed food are known carcinogens, and the sugar lobby paid for the ridiculously high "daily allowance" of sugar that should be in the human diet per food labels. Look around you at the obesity and all of the diseases like diabetes and heart disease. ALL caused by the western diet and preyed upon by the healthcare/insurance/pharmaceutical industries. Wake up, typical ignorant American.

BEGGARS CANNOT BE CHOOSERS.

Beggars also shouldn't have to eat fake, processed non-food to survive. No one should.

Generations have lived pretty well eating Skippy, bacon and Twinkies. Organic foods don't have artificial chemicals, but aren't necessarily any better for you.

I don't believe that it is more healthy than non-organic

It is healthier. No pesiticides or petroleum based fertilizers are used. Living soil = superior nutrition and taste and industrial monoculture is grown on dead soil with chemicals. It has been proven in study after study that organics have vastly more nutrients than non-organic. Maybe we should take control of our food subsidies from Monsanto and Cargill and have the US government subsidize sustainably grown crops instead of corn and soybeans.

I do. How do you know it won't hurt you? Lots of things in processed food are known carcinogens, and the sugar lobby paid for the ridiculously high "daily allowance" of sugar that should be in the human diet per food labels. Look around you at the obesity and all of the diseases like diabetes and heart disease. ALL caused by the western diet and preyed upon by the healthcare/insurance/pharmaceutical industries. Wake up, typical ignorant American.

BEGGARS CANNOT BE CHOOSERS.

Beggars also shouldn't have to eat fake, processed non-food to survive. No one should.

Generations have lived pretty well eating Skippy, bacon and Twinkies. Organic foods don't have artificial chemicals, but aren't necessarily any better for you.

They do make more money for the greedy rich, though.

I actually think peanut butter is a good source of protein...and kids like it. So ill not argue with them purchasing it and distributing it with funds.... but buying organic when you can make thus dollars go so much farther with regular Skippy...or even better..... generic brand... Ill go with making the dollars go farther then to stroke the organic fad.

Also, what you and i can buy is totally different then what you can buy by the pallet full. The money goes a lot farther and will buy a lot more when purchased in bulk.

I can't buy anything other than what's cheapest. I'm not in a position right now to be donating food, yet I did give all of my change to Salvation Army today. My guess is they aren't so choosy.

My point was that the actual cash donated to food banks buys a heck of a lot of staples, if that is where they are spending their money. I agree that peanut butter is a great source or protein, that kids love, adults for the most part too. However, spending the $1 for $4 dollars in food that is the purchasing power of most food banks? Should go for the bigger picture.

Reminds me of stone soup.

I can't buy anything other than what's cheapest. I'm not in a position right now to be donating food, yet I did give all of my change to Salvation Army today. My guess is they aren't so choosy.

My point was that the actual cash donated to food banks buys a heck of a lot of staples, if that is where they are spending their money. I agree that peanut butter is a great source or protein, that kids love, adults for the most part too. However, spending the $1 for $4 dollars in food that is the purchasing power of most food banks? Should go for the bigger picture.

Reminds me of stone soup.

In that i totally agree. The money needs to be wisely spent...and made to go as far as possible for a bag that will last as long as possible.

They only make money because dumb shit Libs are willing to pay an outrageous price for a trendy product.

They only make money because dumb shit Libs are willing to pay an outrageous price for a trendy product.

I have to agree, that is a valid point. Gotta have all the same stuff as the lib next door, don't they?

i volunteer at our local food pantry. we distribute food to about 250-300 families. it used to be about 100-150 families, but the recession has taken its toll. we only distribute to residents of our town.

it's a very affluent town and yet there are people who have to rely on food banks, heating oil programs, etc. to get by. do you think that they chose this?

i guess my point is that while it's easy to score points and call those less fortunate than ourselves dirty hippies, libtards, moochers etc, maybe we should consider the fact that there, but for the grace of God, goes i.

merry christmas

The median income for a household in the town was $83,018, and the median income for a family was $98,598 (these figures had risen to $100,444 and $134,259 respectively as of a 2007 estimate).[42] Males had a median income of $66,802 versus $41,370 for females. The per capita income for the town was $41,703. About 2.4% of families and 3.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.7% of those under age 18 and 3.1% of those age 65 or over.

i volunteer at our local food pantry. we distribute food to about 250-300 families. it used to be about 100-150 families, but the recession has taken its toll. we only distribute to residents of our town.

it's a very affluent town and yet there are people who have to rely on food banks, heating oil programs, etc. to get by. do you think that they chose this?

i guess my point is that while it's easy to score points and call those less fortunate than ourselves dirty hippies, libtards, moochers etc, maybe we should consider the fact that there but for the grace of God, goes me.

merry christmas

How do you know they are residents of your town? Do you demand photo ID?

i guess my point is that while it's easy to score points and call those less fortunate than ourselves dirty hippies, libtards, moochers etc, maybe we should consider the fact that there but for the grace of God, goes me.

merry christmas

we deliver

merry christmas

we deliver

I guess that solves that problem. How about people who don't have an address to deliver to?

Mmm. When we were kids we had to go to a food pantry a time or two. Hell, Skippy peanut butter was the shit, most of the time we got store brand. The "good" stuff or so called "organic" was nasty and the oil would separate. The plus side of that was me and my brothers discovered that blue gills and catfish tasted good fried in the oil. I agree with you though. Store brand peanut butter, ground pork, rice and beans are cheap. You can get lots of that stuff for a few bucks.

we deliver

I guess that solves that problem. How about people who don't have an address to deliver to?

i just volunteer; i don't know the answer to your question.

i don't think we'd turn anyone away just because they didn't live here or have a home. i would hope not.

Sorry, dude, I'm just having you on. Good job with the volunteer work. It's important that we do what we can to help those less fortunate. I just don't agree that it should be mandated, or even taken over, by government fiat. People are good at heart, most of them, and they will do the right thing given the opportunity. At least, I like to believe that...

i guess my point is that while it's easy to score points and call those less fortunate than ourselves dirty hippies, libtards, moochers etc, maybe we should consider the fact that there, but for the grace of God, goes i.

merry christmas

The median income for a household in the town was $83,018, and the median income for a family was $98,598 (these figures had risen to $100,444 and $134,259 respectively as of a 2007 estimate).[42] Males had a median income of $66,802 versus $41,370 for females. The per capita income for the town was $41,703. About 2.4% of families and 3.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.7% of those under age 18 and 3.1% of those age 65 or over.

I agree, which is why i am a bit outraged hearing that they are upset "downgrading" to regular old Skippy peanut butter and not purchasing their normal organic peanut butter.

The money needs to go as far as it possibly can to feed as many as people as possible. If i can put 100 jars of skippy peanut butter in bags instead of 50 organic peanut butter jars... where do you think i want my money spent?

Peanut butter any peanut butter is also starting to be considered a luxury item now in food pantries becasue of the sky rocketing cost.

The Luxury Peanut Butter

And del.... good for you :clap:

Forum List

Back