Food Pantry Snobs.

so only the rich should have organic healthy foods? is that what you are implying?

myself....i think the basic food groups should be free.....milk, beans, rice, corn.....you can live all that forever....if you want more ...then you work for it

Not at all bones. I am saying that high priced "organic" products are not what food pantries should be wasting limited money on.

If a case of Skippy is $27 and a case of organic peanut butter is $50...i would think it is more important to feed as many people as you can instead of feeding fewer on snob organic food products.

As you said, if people want more they can work for it. If they will only eat organic peanut butter...they can buy it.

I bought some high end organic peanut butter the other day at Grocery Outlet. It was the cheapest on the shelves.

Just sayin.

i volunteer at our local food pantry. we distribute food to about 250-300 families. it used to be about 100-150 families, but the recession has taken its toll. we only distribute to residents of our town.

it's a very affluent town and yet there are people who have to rely on food banks, heating oil programs, etc. to get by. do you think that they chose this?

i guess my point is that while it's easy to score points and call those less fortunate than ourselves dirty hippies, libtards, moochers etc, maybe we should consider the fact that there, but for the grace of God, goes i.

merry christmas

The median income for a household in the town was $83,018, and the median income for a family was $98,598 (these figures had risen to $100,444 and $134,259 respectively as of a 2007 estimate).[42] Males had a median income of $66,802 versus $41,370 for females. The per capita income for the town was $41,703. About 2.4% of families and 3.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.7% of those under age 18 and 3.1% of those age 65 or over.

I agree, which is why i am a bit outraged hearing that they are upset "downgrading" to regular old Skippy peanut butter and not purchasing their normal organic peanut butter.

The money needs to go as far as it possibly can to feed as many as people as possible. If i can put 100 jars of skippy peanut butter in bags instead of 50 organic peanut butter jars... where do you think i want my money spent?

Peanut butter any peanut butter is also starting to be considered a luxury item now in food pantries becasue of the sky rocketing cost.

The Luxury Peanut Butter

And del.... good for you :clap:

Thats a bummer to. Peanut butter is something that SHOULD be handed out at food pantry's.

This was just on our local news, so i dont think there is a link for it sorry.

The local news here just ran a story for one of the surrounding cities food banks. The director of the food bank was saying how they want to give the clients they provide for high quality food with the money that they have.

I agree, high quality food is very important.

However, she was complaining they did not have enough funds and that they ..... oh no .... had to buy regular peanut butter since the price of peanut butter was so high now. Regular peanut better? It turns out she meant Skippy peanut as "regular" peanut butter.

I would appear that they prefer to purchase higher priced organic peanut butter to give out.

The story annoyed the hell out of me on several levels. First off if you are in need of help, demanding organic high priced anything is ridiculous. In my opinion Skippy peanut butter is just fine, so spending funding that is running thin on snob food is crazy.
Yes, in this one, isolated, not indicative of all charities, sole, solitary instance, this person is an idiot.

Now, I'm wondering how long it will be before someone argues that we should cut off aid to homeless people because "those Liberal food banks" waste it on organic food, Birkenstocks, and lattes . . .

The local news here just ran a story for one of the surrounding cities food banks. The director of the food bank was saying how they want to give the clients they provide for high quality food with the money that they have.

However, she was complaining they did not have enough funds and that they ..... oh no .... had to buy regular peanut butter since the price of peanut butter was so high now. Regular peanut better? It turns out she meant Skippy peanut as "regular" peanut butter.

I would appear that they prefer to purchase higher priced organic peanut butter to give out.

The story annoyed the hell out of me on several levels. First off if you are in need of help, demanding organic high priced anything is ridiculous. In my opinion Skippy peanut butter is just fine, so spending funding that is running thin on snob food is crazy.

Mmm. When we were kids we had to go to a food pantry a time or two. Hell, Skippy peanut butter was the shit, most of the time we got store brand. The "good" stuff or so called "organic" was nasty and the oil would separate. The plus side of that was me and my brothers discovered that blue gills and catfish tasted good fried in the oil. I agree with you though. Store brand peanut butter, ground pork, rice and beans are cheap. You can get lots of that stuff for a few bucks.

That organc peanut butter is just some nasty shit. I can't stand that stuff!

BUT when I've spent my last dollar on doctors, hospitals, and medicine, I really would like to still have my Sumatra Mandheling! ;)

When the tsunami hit Indonesia, I was really afraind for my coffee beans that grow there!

Last edited:
i volunteer at our local food pantry. we distribute food to about 250-300 families. it used to be about 100-150 families, but the recession has taken its toll. we only distribute to residents of our town.

it's a very affluent town and yet there are people who have to rely on food banks, heating oil programs, etc. to get by. do you think that they chose this?

i guess my point is that while it's easy to score points and call those less fortunate than ourselves dirty hippies, libtards, moochers etc, maybe we should consider the fact that there, but for the grace of God, goes i.

merry christmas

The median income for a household in the town was $83,018, and the median income for a family was $98,598 (these figures had risen to $100,444 and $134,259 respectively as of a 2007 estimate).[42] Males had a median income of $66,802 versus $41,370 for females. The per capita income for the town was $41,703. About 2.4% of families and 3.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.7% of those under age 18 and 3.1% of those age 65 or over.

I agree, which is why i am a bit outraged hearing that they are upset "downgrading" to regular old Skippy peanut butter and not purchasing their normal organic peanut butter.

The money needs to go as far as it possibly can to feed as many as people as possible. If i can put 100 jars of skippy peanut butter in bags instead of 50 organic peanut butter jars... where do you think i want my money spent?

Peanut butter any peanut butter is also starting to be considered a luxury item now in food pantries becasue of the sky rocketing cost.

The Luxury Peanut Butter

i've found that i get a lot more out of these things than i put in. i think most people experience the same thing. :thup:

merry christmas

The Luxury Peanut Butter

i've found that i get a lot more out of these things than i put in. i think most people experience the same thing. :thup:

When I get a patient who is really narcissistic and personality disordered, I find they are completely self occupied. I assign them to do volunteer work. What a turn around! It's almost unreal!

The Luxury Peanut Butter

When I get a patient who is really narcissistic and personality disordered, I find they are completely self occupied. I assign them to do volunteer work. What a turn around! It's almost unreal!

Interesting approach! Will it work for Obama after he's lost his job?

Not if one knows how to cook and is trying to avoid starvation. I'd throw potatoes into the list, because of the nutrients. Eggs too for that matter. Not that I'm agreeing with the 'free' part, but if one is trying to survive and uses those basics as the backbone of a diet? Yes.

Is organic sheshe high end expensive peanut butter on the list of subsistence items? You don't need organic anything to survive.

If you can get more food for the buck to give out over "organic" anything.....i am all for feeding the masses, not feeding vanity, snobbery or pride.

You misunderstood my take on this. Why is the food pantry buying peanut butter in the first place? Donations of whatever brand, fine. But when the food pantry is buying food, to alleviate hunger, IMO they should be buying: rice, noodles, bread, potatoes, apples, pears, etc., that have a long storage life and provide both nutrients and calories, the sustenance of life.

I'll tell you why,.
Do you know who funds/runs/subsidizes food stamps and food pantries?

THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE.

They pay farmers subsidies in order to get them to grow whatever crops they think they should (or shouldn't) be growing.

In return, they purchase BACK those crops and products.

This is what happens when the GOVERNMENT is in charge of feeding people. It's a big tangled ball of crap, people go hungry when there should be plenty of food, people can't work while industry is strangled...

Obama works?

What does he do, exactly?

Obama works?

What does he do, exactly?

Ooops! My bad. But you have to admit, it is a federal "job" and therefore the idea that he is working is not a forgone conclusion. He occupies space, draws a regal salary, will receive a regal retirement, and has done ever so much to improve our country...(cough, gag!)

Is organic sheshe high end expensive peanut butter on the list of subsistence items? You don't need organic anything to survive.

If you can get more food for the buck to give out over "organic" anything.....i am all for feeding the masses, not feeding vanity, snobbery or pride.

You misunderstood my take on this. Why is the food pantry buying peanut butter in the first place? Donations of whatever brand, fine. But when the food pantry is buying food, to alleviate hunger, IMO they should be buying: rice, noodles, bread, potatoes, apples, pears, etc., that have a long storage life and provide both nutrients and calories, the sustenance of life.

I'll tell you why,.

They pay farmers subsidies in order to get them to grow whatever crops they think they should (or shouldn't) be growing.

This is what happens when the GOVERNMENT is in charge of feeding people. It's a big tangled ball of crap, people go hungry when there should be plenty of food, people can't work while industry is strangled...

We grow food to send out as aid to other countries.....:cuckoo:

Some of it, sure.

Not as much as you think, though. Grain rots in elevators here, we sell vast amounts of it to starving countries, and we pay farmers NOT to use their own land to their (and the land's) best advantage.

Some of it, sure.

Not as much as you think, though. Grain rots in elevators here, we sell vast amounts of it to starving countries, and we pay farmers NOT to use their own land to their (and the land's) best advantage.

And that's wrong.

I'll tell you why,.

Ok, so I should stop any donations to food pantries, that is your point? To do so is subsidizing the abusers of the poor?

How do you KNOW she meant "skippy"? You failed to show us how YOU KNOW what she meant.

FYI: The price of peanut butter has gone up rather considerably of late.

Not sure why.

How do you KNOW she meant "skippy"? You failed to show us how YOU KNOW what she meant.

Not sure why.

I know... becasue she SAID it and SHOWED the pallet of Skippy she was bemoaning about that wasn't organic.

FYI.... i know the price of peanut butter is going up. Peanut butter is becoming a luxury at food pantries becasue of the cost.

So why would you use limited funds on higher priced snob organic food?

People will fight about anything, apparently. Now it's peanut butter, lol.

Speaking of which, I used pb this morning..my crew chewed gum like all get out this weekend, and of course a piece ended up stuck to the bottom of my monster dog's foot, in the hair between the pads. I used peanut butter to break it down. It's handy for that.

Not sure why.

I know... becasue she SAID it and SHOWED the pallet of Skippy she was bemoaning about that wasn't organic.

FYI.... i know the price of peanut butter is going up. Peanut butter is becoming a luxury at food pantries becasue of the cost.

We have a little food pantry where I work. But it was stocked by community organizations and they don't want us throwing it around. The recipient has to show he/she has already been to another local food pantry first. We are the food pantry of last resort. I haven't looked at what's there, but I doubt there is anything 'organic.' In KY, beggars still can't be choosers!

Not sure why.

We have a little food pantry where I work. But it was stocked by community organizations and they don't want us throwing it around. The recipient has to show he/she has already been to another local food pantry first. We are the food pantry of last resort. I haven't looked at what's there, but I doubt there is anything 'organic.' In KY, beggars still can't be choosers!

I have a lot of issues with the food pantries here in the city. Seeing it lined up on the street getting sold for 50 cents..... pisses the living shit out of me!

I have a lot of issues with the food pantries here in the city. Seeing it lined up on the street getting sold for 50 cents..... pisses the living shit out of me!

Or just free for the taking. I know there are a lot of people hurting, but they really should have to show that. I mean hoochie mammas are already scamming the system. Remember what happened after katrina with those debit cards that were supposed to be for food...people buying designer clothes with them?

New Topics

Forum List

Back