Flu Shot Fiasco

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by NATO AIR, Oct 26, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    here is newsweek's take on the events leading up to and after the flu shot fiasco worried the nation

2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Another GREAT reason to keep Government out of health care!

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2003/12/13/140235.shtml

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    another reason i'll definitely be voting GOP in 2008 if she's "coronated" the democratic nominee

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    who gives a rat's ass? Really? It's as if this country did not exist prior to the Flu Shot.

(shrug).

Play when you are hurt.

Work when you are tired.

5. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    And rub some dirt on it.
    Sorry, I heard this alot, LOL!

6. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Every year we seem to have a vaccine shortage. These companies can't figure out that if they didn't have enough LAST year, they just might not have made enough? I don't believe it. Not one of these companies will miss a buck, if there's one to be made.

Just like the 'energy shortage'. You never hear about in the summertime when businesses have their air-conditioners set so low that you need a ski-suit just to sit in their office. But as the temeratures drop.....and the heat needs to be turned on.....they begin the panic. People (old) can survive without air-conditioning, did it for years, but you can't survive the cold without heat.

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Democrat policies regulating price of the vaccine come into play - companies will produce items for profit. If we limit the price too much, the 'trouble' outweighs the 'profit'

The problem? Greed. Pure and simple. Last spring, of 2003, water companies started preaching "SEATTLE NEEDS TO CONSERVE!!" The city spent thousands of dollars on campaigns to get us to conserve water, based on the fears of the water companies.

Seattle reduced it's water consumption by some 20? percent.

Guess what? The Water companies petitioned the city, and were approved to raise water rates. Why? Because we didn't consume enough water, their profits were down.

Makes me spitting, near violently angry.

8. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    in my high school years/college year, i volunteered at 2 aids (Duke's Childrens Hospice was one of them) hospices. getting e-mails from some of the nurses there recently has caused my nerves to be on edge. hardly anyone has been able to get the flu vaccine yet. a lot of these kids/very sick adults have low T-Cell levels. one minor bout with the flu will likely kill them.

two groups are to blame.

the companies for not making enough vaccine because its a once a year dose that they can't make much profit off of.

the government and its leaders in the past who set up an atrocious system that has allowed this to happen.

9. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    For a while, I was reading my own meters & calling the numbers into the company. As long as they can come & read them occassionally to make the necessary adjustments, they allow that.

One month, I called in & the gentleman that I was talking to told me thet the numbers for the water meter were not right; that they were higher than usual. I told him I knew how to read numbers & that we must have been extra dirty that month.

BUT, the family has fluctuated, from 4 to 3 to 2 to 3 to 1 to 2.........The utility bill does NOT reflect this except by a few dollars. You cannot tell me a family of 2 consumes the same amount of energy as a family of 4. There's a special place in hell for Utility Companies.