Florida City To Ban Hiring Smokers?

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
A Central Florida councilman wants to ban people who smoke from taking any city jobs, according to a Local 6 News report.

Councilman Richard Contreras wants to ban smokers from taking jobs at City Hall, parks and even with the police department in Melbourne, Fla.

Current workers would not lose their jobs but applicants would be asked about tobacco use and smokers would be dropped from consideration, according to the report.

The reason given for the policy is to cut on health care costs, according to the report.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said smokers ring up $1,600 more per year in medical bills than nonsmokers and they miss more days of work.

A final decision on the policy is months away, according to the report.

http://www.local6.com/news/6786475/detail.html

I don't think its right to not hire someone based on that. However, I would think it would be the right of health insurance companies to drop coverage for smokers if they wanted to.

GotZoom said:
A Central Florida councilman wants to ban people who smoke from taking any city jobs, according to a Local 6 News report.

Councilman Richard Contreras wants to ban smokers from taking jobs at City Hall, parks and even with the police department in Melbourne, Fla.

Current workers would not lose their jobs but applicants would be asked about tobacco use and smokers would be dropped from consideration, according to the report.

The reason given for the policy is to cut on health care costs, according to the report.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said smokers ring up $1,600 more per year in medical bills than nonsmokers and they miss more days of work.

A final decision on the policy is months away, according to the report.

http://www.local6.com/news/6786475/detail.html

If this is the case and true then it would only be fair to drop those who frequent Mickey D's and those who are Gay as the health costs per capita far exceeds smokers...How about Ed Burns the actor who smoked quite a few hard core cigars per day and martinis galore per day!...but lived to be 99 years young? This is just another example of PC gone amock! :blowup:

manu1959 said:
no just curious

This is probably a legal issue that will ultimately have to be decided by a court somewhere. How discriminate can employers be in choosing who works for them ? :dunno:

Companies can put whatever restrictions on their hiring practices that they want to provided they don't violate federal guidelines as to sex, religion, etc...

GotZoom said:
Companies can put whatever restrictions on their hiring practices that they want to provided they don't violate federal guidelines as to sex, religion, etc...

smoking a peace pipe is part of my religion and ethnic make up.....

manu1959 said:
smoking a peace pipe is part of my religion and ethnic make up.....

Then, if they were smart, they would find another reason to not hire you...or better yet...just not hire you and not tell you why.

GotZoom said:
That's it. You like blue and they don't, tough.
I don't like these kind of policies (that seem to infringe on personal life), but I have to support their right to screen and hire whomever they want, as long as its within the law.

GotZoom said:

Private companies can. The government, according to its own rules, cannot discriminate. This is nothing more than totalitarian BS.

I would have agreed to this at one time. But, knowing what can happen when you get addicted to nicotine I would now say not so fast!!!

The bottom line is if this type of crap becomes law, and a basis for legal decision, we are going to be F'd!!! Then you WILL be at the mercy of the actuarials in the insurance company?? Ever meet a good looking FEMALE number cruncher?? They hate sex!!! That means that they thrive on making guys like me more miserable.. They won't give it up, so I smoke,, BANG!! They get me fired..Then to compensate, I eat pizza and buffalo wings until my love handles require surgery,, BANG!! I am a risk cause I am obese, no job for the fat kid..... So I slip into depression and begin to drink, BANG,, and out the door again...,, I can't get another job cause of my depression and "substance" use/abuse, and my fat ass makes me even more risky..Too risky. :alco:

Shxxx,, the only way to be left alone is to turn gay and make cowboy movies.. This way I can ride a horse, smoke cigarettes, get laid and makes big bucks at the box office... But, then,,,,,,

Maybe I just won't smoke anymore..

GunnyL said:
Private companies can. The government, according to its own rules, cannot discriminate. This is nothing more than totalitarian BS.

How so?

GunnyL said:

If a company..private or not, tells an interviewee that they will not be considered for the position because they are, white, black, jewish, catholic, handicapped, etc.....they will surely be sued and will lose.

Companies need to be smart. Once they find out the interviewee indicates something about them that the company doesn't like, the company needs to finish the interview, thank them, tell them they still have other interviews and if that person is chosen, then will receive a call.

Then don't call them.

The End.

In this day of litigation and PC, any company who is stupid enough to tell someone the real reason (providing it isn't one of the above listed things) for them not being hired, deserves what they get.

a old movie which addressed this issue...hey let's just not hire...no let's just kill off and eat anyone over thirty...as they are a risk to society! This PC- BS is over the top...I'm ready for a new 'Boston Tea Party' :blowup:

GotZoom said:
If a company..private or not, tells an interviewee that they will not be considered for the position because they are, white, black, jewish, catholic, handicapped, etc.....they will surely be sued and will lose.

Companies need to be smart. Once they find out the interviewee indicates something about them that the company doesn't like, the company needs to finish the interview, thank them, tell them they still have other interviews and if that person is chosen, then will receive a call.

Then don't call them.

The End.

In this day of litigation and PC, any company who is stupid enough to tell someone the real reason (providing it isn't one of the above listed things) for them not being hired, deserves what they get.

The government is not allowed to discriminate by law. Disqualifying someone for a personal habit that is still at the moment legal, is discrimination.

Try denying a homosexual a job because of HIS personal habits.

Forum List

Back