Florida Bright Futures Scholarships

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Why am I putting this in politics? Because a politician, namely Rick Scott, has changed the rules in the middle of the game.

Bright Futures scholarships have always been MERIT based, which I believe is something conservatives and liberals agreed upon. Now Scott, the toad, wants to tie them to need.

:doubt:

Aside from the fact that this totally proves Scott is anything but a conservative, it is incredibly unfair to students that EARNED the scholarships to have to reapply for them.

The provision is the first time the state has collected financial data on Bright Futures. Students fear it could be the first step in requiring not only good grades but financial need as well.

Bright Futures changes coming

In case you haven't noticed, I think Rick Scott is a toad and I only wish I could neg rep him.

Not that I would shocked by the move, but it rests on a lot of assumptions.

Why am I putting this in politics? Because a politician, namely Rick Scott, has changed the rules in the middle of the game.

Bright Futures scholarships have always been MERIT based, which I believe is something conservatives and liberals agreed upon. Now Scott, the toad, wants to tie them to need.

Aside from the fact that this totally proves Scott is anything but a conservative, it is incredibly unfair to students that EARNED the scholarships to have to reapply for them.

The provision is the first time the state has collected financial data on Bright Futures. Students fear it could be the first step in requiring not only good grades but financial need as well.

In case you haven't noticed, I think Rick Scott is a toad and I only wish I could neg rep him.

:lol:

'Need'... the subjective rallying cry of the generous (with someone else's money) liberal

Plays well at the polling place with the ignorant, the greedy, the envious, and the lazy

So, in case no one knows, Bright Futures scholarships were what they sold approving Lotto for...the earnings for Lotto would fund MERIT based scholarships.

I had no problem with that, even though I don't totally approve of a state funded gambling fund.

But I have a real problem with forcing parents to fill out federal paperwork demonstrating NEED for students that already earned their scholarships by getting good grades.

:evil:

'Need'... the subjective rallying cry of the generous (with someone else's money) liberal

Plays well at the polling place with the ignorant, the greedy, the envious, and the lazy

So you agree, Rick Scott is a phony.

Good to know.

So, in case no one knows, Bright Futures scholarships were what they sold approving Lotto for...the earnings for Lotto would fund MERIT based scholarships.

I had no problem with that, even though I don't totally approve of a state funded gambling fund.

But I have a real problem with forcing parents to fill out federal paperwork demonstrating NEED for students that already earned their scholarships by getting good grades.

i agree with you, even though almost everyone fills out FAFSA at some point.

my son got a scholarship for free tuition for having good MCAS scores.

what the umass system calls tuition is about 10% of the cost of school.

bastages

Well, God forbid we teach our children to work hard for things, when we can just teach them to hold out their hands and tell a sob story for them instead.

Are they switching it to need based because funds from the lotto are down, or what? The article didn't give a reason.

Why? They aren't doing it yet, but I imagine the rationale is that if the students would be receiving Pell Grants without Bright Futures, it makes more sense for those students to receive Pell Grants and have Bright Futures pay the remainder.

Well, God forbid we teach our children to work hard for things, when we can just teach them to hold out their hands and tell a sob story for them instead.

Kinda weird to say a merit scholarship is a handout...

Are they switching it to need based because funds from the lotto are down, or what? The article didn't give a reason.

I know what Florida's situation is, but if it's anything like Georgia, program costs are probably growing a lot faster than lottery revenue (we have the added problem that the lottery funds are pledged to funding scholarships and to pre-K).

Jesus. I can see YOU weren't on an English studies scholarship. Learn to read.

It’s the result of not reading – or comprehending – the OP.

No, THIS is the result of not reading or comprehending my post, Mensa Boy. OBVIOUSLY - to anyone who can read English and follow a conversation - I didn't say a merit scholarship was "a handout". CLEARLY, I said that a merit scholarship is "working hard for things" and switching over to a need-based scholarship INSTEAD of merit is "a handout".

See, you and Polk are Exhibit One and Two of why doing away with a merit-based education system is bad. What a pair of illiterate boobs. :eusa_hand:

If there's not enough money in the budget, just increase the requirements to get a scholarship. The government loves to promise things they can't pay for.

I don't know why they are doing it. There has been talk of reducing the amounts awarded and if that is because revenues are down, fine. But the scholarships are still merit based so it is very strange that people will now have to fill out the paper work used for need based scholarships and loans.

A state program forcing you to fill out federal paperwork?

....And, all the....

493.gif
493.gif
493.gif
532.gif

Forum List

Back