Flashback: Rick Perry Supports Criminalizing Gay Sex

Flashback: Rick Perry Supports Criminalizing Gay Sex | Mother Jones

So what exactly has Perry done? Well, for one, he is (still) a supporter of the Texas "homosexual conduct" statute, an archaic law that made it a crime for two consenting, unrelated adults to have sex if they were of the same gender. The law was ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in the landmark 2002 case Lawrence v. Texas, but, despite repeated efforts, Texas has yet to formally repeal the statute. When Perry was asked about the Lawrence case in 2002, he defended the anti-sodomy statute: "I think our law is appropriate that we have on the books." He wrote about the case in his 2011 book Fed Up, too, citing the Lawrence decision as the product of "nine oligarchs in robes" and an example of what's wrong with our judicial system. And last spring, when Perry ran for his third full term as governor, he did so on a state GOP platform that exlicitly stated "we oppose the legalization of sodomy."

That doesn't sound like "Small Government" Conservatism to me.

Mother Jones, that bastion of truth.... *yawns*

You know what would be cool? It would be cool if people could engage their fucking brains when they post shit.

Source it... not Mother Jones.... go research his fucking record for yourselves and start your own fucking discussions instead of being spoon fed whatever the media wants you to think.

Just learn to fucking think!

Ok. I feel better for that.

Rant ends.

well, were you as outraged at obama's stance on abortion as you are at Perry's alleged stance on gays?

Well I was about 12 when just about both events occurred, so I was probably more outraged about Jar-Jar Binks in the Star Wars prequels.

I recall the Born Alive bill from the 2008 election but don't remember much about it. Got a good link that clarifies the details? From what I recall, the bills they proposed in 2001 and 2002 were pretty much a backdoor way to try and challenge Roe V. Wade. While the 2003 bill had language similar to the Federal bill that President Obama said he would support if it did.

well, were you as outraged at obama's stance on abortion as you are at Perry's alleged stance on gays?

That's Rhetorical, isn't it... :lol:

:)

peace...

not necessarily. let's give him a chance.

He seems to not want to Continue...

My Last Question was about if he Voted for Obama...

Both yours and mine Remain Unanswered.

Such is.

Seems the way of the Left here Recently.

peace...

9 years ago... You were like... 9 then, weren't you?... :lol:

Got anything a little more... Recent?

peace...

Wait, you want evidence about his comments in 2002 from 2009-2011 but not from 2002?

That's Rhetorical, isn't it... :lol:

peace...

not necessarily. let's give him a chance.

Such is.

peace...
He wasn't old enough to vote for obama. there's the answer to your question.

You know what would be cool? It would be cool if people could engage their fucking brains when they post shit.

Source it... not Mother Jones.... go research his fucking record for yourselves and start your own fucking discussions instead of being spoon fed whatever the media wants you to think.

Rant ends.

So instead of addressing Perry's comments, attack me personally instead. Especially when I have already provided further evidence in this thread before you made these comments.

Rant ends.

So instead of addressing Perry's comments, attack me personally instead. Especially when I have already provided further evidence in this thread before you made these comments.

come up with a better source than Mother Jones, first.

Such is.

peace...

I didn't post for five minutes, clearly I must be running away. :rolleyes:

As to your last question, no I didn't vote for Obama. Kind of difficult to vote for anyone when you're not legally able to.

peace...

Wait, you want evidence about his comments in 2002 from 2009-2011 but not from 2002?

I know what he said in 2002...

I want to know where he stands now.

He was a Texan Supporting the Law at the time.

You can do better Kid. :thup:

peace...

Such is.

peace...

I didn't post for five minutes, clearly I must be running away. :rolleyes:

As to your last question, no I didn't vote for Obama. Kind of difficult to vote for anyone when you're not legally able to.

:lol:

Sorry... I confuse you with PaleoPaul sometimes...

peace...

So does anyone actually have any response to Perry's comments outside of Jarhead?

peace...

peace...

no, he really can't.

So does anyone actually have any response to Perry's comments?

the government needs to stay out of the bedroom. HIs comments shouldn't stop people from voting for him. After all, Obama's views on abortion sure didn't stop them.

peace...

Rick Perry's 2011 book Fed Up. He cites Lawrence v Texas along with some other decisions including Roe v Wade as the Supreme Court run amok.

Mother Jones?

Good Grief.
yeah. that's the problem. Not that Rick Perry wants to shrink government down to the size of a bedroom. The problem is obviously Mother Jones magazine.

What's that over there? A forest or just more trees?

the problem is, it may not be true. Headlines lie.
Well, in this case, the headlines apparently are true. Goggle Rick Perry Lawrence v Texas and the truth will set you free.

Seems the rabid right has another bigot, another homophobe, another ossified thinker to champion. Someone who disregards the protections afforded by the courts just to press his own warped, dusty, hate filled agenda of anti-privacy and the erosion of personal liberties all to satisfy the stilted, ignorant bigotry of a few knuckle dragging constituents from the mega churches and trailer parks.

yeah. that's the problem. Not that Rick Perry wants to shrink government down to the size of a bedroom. The problem is obviously Mother Jones magazine.

What's that over there? A forest or just more trees?

the problem is, it may not be true. Headlines lie.
Well, in this case, the headlines apparently are true. Goggle Rick Perry Lawrence v Texas and the truth will set you free.

Seems the rabid right has another bigot, another homophobe, another ossified thinker to champion. Someone who disregards the protections afforded by the courts just to press his own warped, dusty, hate filled agenda of anti-privacy and the erosion of personal liberties all to satisfy the stilted, ignorant bigotry of a few knuckle dragging constituents from the mega churches and trailer parks.

Yeah, yeah. Cry me a fucking river.....

Forum List

Back