FL Sheriff wants to put people in mental health institution

defcon4

Platinum Member
Jan 26, 2015
Florida sheriff, Broward Co, Sheriff Israel wants the power to put people into mental health institution based on police judgement. He says even if it is involuntary on the part of the subject.

The whole video is quite interesting from the beginning about inconsistencies of reporting and actual facts based on FOIA records.

Sheriff Israel's proposal kicks in on the video at the 21:00 mark. Enjoy it. (I posted the thread here for obvious reasons although the video is factual)

I don't see the issue. Police in my home state have been able to 5150 (Invol psych hold) people for many years. It's a precautionary measure if anything.

Florida sheriff, Broward Co, Sheriff Israel wants the power to put people into mental health institution based on police judgement. He says even if it is involuntary on the part of the subject.

The whole video is quite interesting from the beginning about inconsistencies of reporting and actual facts based on FOIA records.

Sheriff Israel's proposal kicks in on the video at the 21:00 mark. Enjoy it. (I posted the thread here for obvious reasons although the video is factual)

That's very dangerous thinking. ALTHOUGH, police enforcement of the Florida "Baker Act" has a LOT of restrictions on it. And AT TIMES -- it's quite useful..

But -- there is no SCIENCE of "mental health". There is no "crazy test" and by the APA's own book of Diagnostics --- a whopping 70% of ALL Americans can be diagnosed with a "mental disorder". And 30% of America is ALREADY on common psych drugs like depression/anxiety/ADHD meds.

No measurement tools. VERY POOR "cure rates".. That is NOT something that should be used to deprive ANY American of "rights".

Now tendency to violence or self-destruction or uncontrollable urges to do harm MIGHT be documented and REFERRED to police JUST to have a record of events. But forcing psych doctors to REPORT this stuff might make the situation worse in that folks won't seek treatment.

It's not simple. AND -- I just don't fucking trust the Mental Health industry or the Govt to "get it right" when Civil Liberties are at stake. The ACLU and Amer Assoc of Disabled Persons doesn't either.

This is not simple Baker acting that he wants....because like you say...they already have that. He wants it expanded.

This is Scott Israel. He is well known for his stance that citizens do not need to be armed. His position is that is what 911 is for.
I do believe I've heard him say this myself.

That said, I have no doubt that THIS particular person would VERY much like to have extended powers to have someone taken into custody and under his authority, taken to a mental institution.

That means that if he didn't like you, say because you oppose his agendas and leanings, he "could" have his goons arrest you and take you to a mental facility, and once there, you would of course become ineligible to own any type of firearm.

There are already processes in place to deal with the mentally ill. The Parkland High School case reveals there was PLENTY of time for authorities to have acted on the clear signals from this individual. The FBI even knew and did nothing. If we keep giving powers of authority beyond what's necessary and reasonable we become a Police state.

Knowing of this man, that is a possible means toward an end game.
I do not trust this particular sheriff.

Last edited:
Unless someone is clearly in danger of harming themselves or others, law enforcement should not be allowed to use any type of forced institutionalization on citizens.

Yet invol detention and testing do have a role in the safety of our society.

Those who opposed may mean it toward an end game.

The new law which didn't exist before I lobbied for it a few years back, is that Police and Judges now have the power to "Suggest" mental evaluations for placement in Mental Institution facilities whereby they feel the person is dangerous to themselves and others through their psychosis. Prior to the law the individual and parent had this lone power to comit themself or their child which usually never happened due to denial by the family, missing parents from the child's life, or protection of their offspring. This new law helped deal with the serious issues involving mentally unstable & psychotic behavior from people who are a threat to themselves or community and should be in a facility that helps them instead of waiting for harm to be done, victims are affected, and another Psycho is mixed into the prison population. Judges and victims and police should be given the power to recommend institutions when they feel prison is not warranted, but released into population as a threat is "also not an option".
Prior to the law, if a psycho attacked you, you could not say " I don't want to see the mentally handicapped person in prison, I just want them to get help." Now you can, thus be more compassionate towards such disabilities.
Before the law we were uncaring uncompassionate and put society at uneccessary risk. YOU'RE WELCOME.
When I see something broken that makes no sense, I speak out and lobby to fix it.
Obviously the Head of FL State Police agreed and the State legistlator who brought it up and passed the bill years ago thought it was an issue need fixing.
So ask yourself: do you trust the parents of these
mass murderers or the Police/Judge/and institution evaluators (3 prong process)?
YOU'RE WELCOME!

The new law which didn't exist before I lobbied for it a few years back, is that Police and Judges now have the power to "Suggest" mental evaluations for placement in Mental Institution facilities whereby they feel the person is dangerous to themselves and others through their psychosis. Prior to the law the individual and parent had this lone power to comit themself or their child which usually never happened due to denial by the family, missing parents from the child's life, or protection of their offspring. This new law helped deal with the serious issues involving mentally unstable & psychotic behavior from people who are a threat to themselves or community and should be in a facility that helps them instead of waiting for harm to be done, victims are affected, and another Psycho is mixed into the prison population. Judges and victims and police should be given the power to recommend institutions when they feel prison is not warranted, but released into population as a threat is "also not an option".
Prior to the law, if a psycho attacked you, you could not say " I don't want to see the mentally handicapped person in prison, I just want them to get help." Now you can, thus be more compassionate towards such disabilities.
Before the law we were uncaring uncompassionate and put society at uneccessary risk. YOU'RE WELCOME.
When I see something broken that makes no sense, I speak out and lobby to fix it.
Obviously the Head of FL State Police agreed and the State legistlator who brought it up and passed the bill years ago thought it was an issue need fixing.
mass murderers or the Police/Judge/and institution evaluators (3 prong process)?
YOU'RE WELCOME!

The road to tyranny is paved with good intentions. I appreciate your Tikkun Olam but no, thanks.

YOU'RE WELCOME!

The road to tyranny is paved with good intentions. I appreciate your Tikkun Olam but no, thanks.

Tyranny would be giving the law the decision rights, when neither police or judges have that power in mere suggested testing that can be overrideded. But now you get the seriousness of the former president and his party candidate who cheated the election (but still lost) and abused power during and after the election=call it Tyranny, call it Treason, call it a soft coup.
A lot of people died over their abuse of power, and the country was sacrificed in the process, including this recent tragedy.

The far right, since they are growing far older and fewer in numbers, will not be important players in another five years in this matter.

Unless someone is clearly in danger of harming themselves or others, law enforcement should not be allowed to use any type of forced institutionalization on citizens.

IT is obvious that in this case that they waited too long.

When endangering others the cops just shoot them. Saying: "he did not put the knife down" then 15 cops empty their 15 round magazines into him. Bam...done... That's how it works.

When endangering others the cops just shoot them. Saying: "he did not put the knife down" then 15 cops empty their 15 round magazines into him. Bam...done... That's how it works.

Unfortunately, there are many police officers that would rather take that route instead of the right one.

I know someone with schizophrenia. His father called the police one night for help in getting his son in his car so he could take him to the hospital. The meds he was on weren't working like they were supposed to. Instead of sending a cop out that had experience with mental patients, they sent a rookie. The rookie used a taser as soon as she entered the house. No questions, nothing. The rest of the story has played out in court.

Mental health is paid for with healthcare.

Which Republicans have slashed subsidies for.

Which means the insane can't afford healthcare or mental healthcare.

So what are the GOP's other plans? Execute them? Round them up and then execute them? Or round them up, give them a box of food and never hear from them again.

Unfortunately, there are many police officers that would rather take that route instead of the right one.

I know someone with schizophrenia. His father called the police one night for help in getting his son in his car so he could take him to the hospital. The meds he was on weren't working like they were supposed to. Instead of sending a cop out that had experience with mental patients, they sent a rookie. The rookie used a taser as soon as she entered the house. No questions, nothing. The rest of the story has played out in court.

The same kind of abuses occur at the hands of the people who TREAT seriously ill mental patients. Their evaluation roughly consists of ASKING the patient for reports and observing how subdued and tranquilized the person is.

One of my buds from Silicon Valley committed his daughter for "cutting" and totally regretted that decision. He would weep in my office about how the psych doctor spent 10 minutes interviewing her and yank her on/off meds almost daily. That's ALL they can really do.

So opposing "easy commitment" isn't JUST about abuse of Civil Rights. It's also about the EFFICACY and humanity of "treatments'. Not to long ago -- and ice pick to the brain was state of art. NOW they do it chemically..

States have been closing state mental health hospitals and placing patients in unsupervised situations. Patients have stopped taking medications and create serious problems.

Forum List

Back