First year in the life of a preemie

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Published on Nov 22, 2013
Update:

Wow... 22 Million views on this video between Vimeo and YouTube! Unreal! Thank you all for your kind words and for sharing your stories!

This is a story of a mother's love for her baby. It sums up my son's first year. He was born way too early, and the obstacles he had to overcome were really big, but not bigger than our God.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEPHLC6dMGA]Ward Miles - First Year - OFFICIAL - YouTube[/ame]

This is simply amazing. I'm all misty - allergies, no doubt.

Published on Nov 22, 2013
Update:

Wow... 22 Million views on this video between Vimeo and YouTube! Unreal! Thank you all for your kind words and for sharing your stories!

This is a story of a mother's love for her baby. It sums up my son's first year. He was born way too early, and the obstacles he had to overcome were really big, but not bigger than our God.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEPHLC6dMGA]Ward Miles - First Year - OFFICIAL - YouTube[/ame]

This is simply amazing. I'm all misty - allergies, no doubt.

OMG, that is such a tiny one. One of my sons was a twin.....but his twin only lived for one day. They were both premature, and the one that died was actually bigger than the one that lived, doctor said the one that was born first was stronger for it...but an autopsy revealed that the other one's heart was not completely formed. He would have had to have open heart surgery later, if he had lived.

Preemies can survive at 22-23 weeks...
icon17.gif

Study Shows 67% of Babies Born at 22-23 Weeks Survive If Given ‘Active’ Care
May 27, 2016 – A study from the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) released earlier this week found that more than two-thirds of babies born at 22-23 weeks gestational age survive when given active medical care.
The study involved a data analysis of 106 infants born at 22 or 23 weeks of gestation at a neonatal intensive care unit at the University of Cologne Medical Centre in Cologne, Germany. Of these 106 infants, 20 (19%) received palliative care and 86 (81%) received active care. Fifty-eight of the 86 infants who received active care (67%) survived until hospital discharge (17 born at 22 weeks and 41 born at 23 weeks).

The study concluded that “one in 4 infants born at the border of viability and offered active care survived without severe complications.” These findings mirror those of a New England Journal of Medicine study released last May which found that five percent of babies born at 22 weeks survived with treatment and about one-third of babies at 23 weeks gestation survived after treatment.

Dr. Edward Bell, a co-author of that study told the New York Times last year that he considers 22 weeks a new marker of viability. “That’s what we think, but this is a pretty controversial area,” Bell said. “I guess we would say that these babies deserve a chance.”

Study Shows 67% of Babies Born at 22-23 Weeks Survive If Given ‘Active’ Care

Forum List

Back