What's the worry about GMOs?

I have trouble getting your average man on the street to articulate just exactly why they avoid them. Mostly it's because they are told its bad.

But what is to be afraid of? Are people worried that their DNA will be affected? Are they worried that there's going to be an Island of Dr.Murreau somewhere?

If you avoid GMOs, why do you?

Genetically Modified Organisms.

Why are people so afraid of them?

We're evolutionarily programmed to fear the unknown. Helps an animal survive if faced with an unknown creature which may or may not eat them, to default to fear and flight. And it remains a part of human nature to this day.

Since most don't know what effect modifying the genetic code has in the foods we eat, they default to fearing and opposing it.

I have trouble getting your average man on the street to articulate just exactly why they avoid them. Mostly it's because they are told its bad.

But what is to be afraid of? Are people worried that their DNA will be affected? Are they worried that there's going to be an Island of Dr.Murreau somewhere?

At least some of the worry people have is that the various GMO crops are not tested well enough. There is concern that unexpected problems will arise if these crops end up over-running natural ones.

There's also the cases where seeds from a GMO crop end up on a farmer's land, say carried on the wind, then grow on that farmer's land, and the corporation with the GMO patent sues because of it. That kind of corporate overreach is something else I've seen described as a GMO worry.

Of course, all too often it seems that the more vocal anti-GMO people simply assume anything not 'natural' is bad for you.

We're evolutionarily programmed to fear the unknown. Helps an animal survive if faced with an unknown creature which may or may not eat them, to default to fear and flight. And it remains a part of human nature to this day.

Since most don't know what effect modifying the genetic code has in the foods we eat, they default to fearing and opposing it.

It seems completely safe to me. I mean I can't see how it would harm anyone. I guess theoretically, a change in the DNA could result in the accidental creation of a harmful side effect but they test these animals and plants before sending the out into the general population.

Facebook is loaded with crap warning us against GMOs, and I can never find out what the problem is.

At least some of the worry people have is that the various GMO crops are not tested well enough. There is concern that unexpected problems will arise if these crops end up over-running natural ones.

There's also the cases where seeds from a GMO crop end up on a farmer's land, say carried on the wind, then grow on that farmer's land, and the corporation with the GMO patent sues because of it. That kind of corporate overreach is something else I've seen described as a GMO worry.

Of course, all too often it seems that the more vocal anti-GMO people simply assume anything not 'natural' is bad for you.

Thanks for that info.

10 Reasons to Avoid GMOs

1. GMOs are unhealthy.
The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) urges doctors to prescribe non-GMO diets for all patients. They cite animal studies showing organ damage, gastrointestinal and immune system disorders, accelerated aging, and infertility. Human studies show how genetically modified (GM) food can leave material behind inside us, possibly causing long-term problems. Genes inserted into GM soy, for example, can transfer into the DNA of bacteria living inside us, and that the toxic insecticide produced by GM corn was found in the blood of pregnant women and their unborn fetuses.

Numerous health problems increased after GMOs were introduced in 1996. The percentage of Americans with three or more chronic illnesses jumped from 7% to 13% in just 9 years; food allergies skyrocketed, and disorders such as autism, reproductive disorders, digestive problems, and others are on the rise. Although there is not sufficient research to confirm that GMOs are a contributing factor, doctors groups such as the AAEM tell us not to wait before we start protecting ourselves, and especially our children who are most at risk.

The American Public Health Association and American Nurses Association are among many medical groups that condemn the use of GM bovine growth hormone, because the milk from treated cows has more of the hormone IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor 1)―which is linked to cancer.

2. GMOs contaminate―forever.
GMOs cross pollinate and their seeds can travel. It is impossible to fully clean up our contaminated gene pool. Self-propagating GMO pollution will outlast the effects of global warming and nuclear waste. The potential impact is huge, threatening the health of future generations. GMO contamination has also caused economic losses for organic and non-GMO farmers who often struggle to keep their crops pure.

Institute for Responsible Technology - 10 Reasons to Avoid GMOs

The kicker is #9. GMO's do not increase yield. This alone should convince farmers to drop all usage of GMO's.

US farmers may stop planting GMs after poor global yields

Some US farmers are considering returning to conventional seed after increased pest resistance and crop failures meant GM crops saw smaller yields globally than their non-GM counterparts.

Farmers in the USA pay about an extra $100 per acre for GM seed, and many are questioning whether they will continue to see benefits from using GMs.

"It's all about cost benefit analysis," said economist Dan Basse, president of American agricultural research company AgResource.

"Farmers are paying extra for the technology but have seen yields which are no better than 10 years ago. They're starting to wonder why they're spending extra money on the technology."

One of the biggest problems the USA has seen with GM seed is resistance. While it was expected to be 40 years before resistance began to develop pests such as corn rootworm have formed a resistance to GM crops in as few as 14 years.

"Farmers are paying extra for the technology but have seen yields which are no better than 10 years ago."
Dan Basse
"Some of these bugs will eat the plant and it will make them sick, but not kill them. It starts off in pockets of the country but then becomes more widespread.

US farmers may stop planting GMs after poor global yields - 06/02/2013 - Farmers Weekly

So basically, by using GMO's they are creating crops that can better tolerate more poison, which is passed along to the consumer. Unfortunately, the resistance to that poison is short lived. In the end, farmers are paying more for a product that provides the same yield as their non-GMO seed, and they are putting everyone's health at risk due to the increased use of herbicides. And as they say, the cross-contamination cannot be reversed. GMO's could prove to be a massive world wide problem down the road. But hey, if you own Monsanto stock, you should be one happy camper.

I see it both ways. People should have a choice in buying and eating food that does not contain GMO's. What a lot of people do not like, however, and that includes myself, is a large company like Monsanto dominating the seed market and suing farmers out of their very land when they do not use their products, but their fields get contaminated by the winddrift from other farms. Because they got the likes of people such as Clarence Thomas in his earlier years to declare that "life" could be patented, farmers are now paying the price for it. Otherwise, I eat what I want and whatever is the best at the cheapest price. If that contains GMO's, so be it.

People are afraid of GMOs because people are by nature CONSERVATIVE...especially where their health is concerned.

That why MONSANTO has to have laws protecting their right to shove them down our throats.

But that's okay with lots of people (in power) who coincidently pretend that they are politically conservative.

They are not Conservatives, they are nothing but tools to the masters...whores for hire, betrayers of their own people.

Last edited:

Simple,looking at past"advancements" and new and better products ,or so thought as at the time have turned out to be not so good.

Ts called being careful and common sense. Food is not something to be taken lightly,or screwed with.

I believe that man evolved with the capability to eat and process certain foods. These new genetically altered foods may not be safe to eat. Our inability to process these GMO foods may result in allergies, pesticide exposure, antibiotic resistance, diverse health issues such as cancer, Alzheimer's, diabetes, etc.

Of course, it is very difficult to avoid GMO products. It has been introduced into animal feed, filler material in processed foods, etc. There are industry groups fighting labeling laws, so many times you don't know what you are getting.

I try to limit my exposure to GMO food by eating organic vegetables, grass fed beef, and free range poultry/eggs.

Companies that make GMO foods fight not to have it listed on the package that it contains GMO foods. That's really all you need to know.

You might be programmed to fear the unknown, but evolution had nothing to do with it. Evolution has endowed human bungs with an innate curiosity and a desire to see what is voer the next hill. If it actually worked the way some idiot explained it to you we would all be living in caves and hiding from the rain.

I believe that man evolved with the capability to eat and process certain foods. These new genetically altered foods may not be safe to eat. Our inability to process these GMO foods may result in allergies, pesticide exposure, antibiotic resistance, diverse health issues such as cancer, Alzheimer's, diabetes, etc.

Of course, it is very difficult to avoid GMO products. It has been introduced into animal feed, filler material in processed foods, etc. There are industry groups fighting labeling laws, so many times you don't know what you are getting.

I try to limit my exposure to GMO food by eating organic vegetables, grass fed beef, and free range poultry/eggs.

I'm vegetarian but yes, eat organic.

Whole foods, not processed crap. If it comes in a box or has ore than 4 ingredients, pass it up.

Eating healthy really isn't all that hard. Its expensive but not hard.

That's why.

the main problem with GMO plants is that they are not integrated in the natural food chain and if they are resistant to some bug, then the bug does not have food and that will influence some bird which would not have the bug and the bird would not eat the other ones which will then procreate too much and cause the other plants to be eradicated - you get the picture.

It is a problem not for the humans mostly, although we will get affected in the end, but for the environment mostly.

Forum List

Back