First time fiberglass repair...

They don't want to rebuild a piece that's been damaged to that extent...they want to replace it. They told me they would do it, but it would cost a lot more, and they couldn't warranty the repair.

...not perfect...I ain't gonna put the collision shop outta business any time soon...but this was easier than I expected. A LOT of waiting for stuff to dry...I totally understand why freightliner didn't want to perform this repair.

This is a very common repair... the shop usually unglues the whole fender panel, glues in a new panel, primers it and paints it. Takes three days.

The problem is... this is my oldest truck...my first truck...my baby. At 22 years old, it's a grandpa. The fenders are way on backorder...6 months at least... and the shop didn't want to rebuilt it...so I decided to try it myself.

Got the fiberglass mat and fiberglass reinforced Bondo at Walmart...maybe $30.

Regular resin was $8...but I needed special resin...$60.

Evercoat glaze...$22...worth every penny...from O'Reilly's.

$60 in sandpaper, guidecoat, acetone, misc.

$40 in paint and primer.

And I bought one of those vibrating multi-sander-cutters from Harbor Freight with a finger sander...$36...VERY usefull.

And the rest of the tools I had...angle grinder with cut off wheel, orbital sander, belt sander, inline sander, etc.

Turned out pretty good for first attempt.

Pics to follow.

It's simple and fun...

I was surprised how easy it was...now I want to try a canoe.

Yeah, just make sure it’s fiberglass and not Kevlar. If ya wanted you could try some west systems 406 and cabosil. Not itchy at all, cleans up nice, but it can be hard as hell to sand. Also don’t know if you can buy an amount smaller then a gallon, but it’s good stuff.

I'm thinking about trying one of these...

...not perfect...I ain't gonna put the collision shop outta business any time soon...but this was easier than I expected. A LOT of waiting for stuff to dry...I totally understand why freightliner didn't want to perform this repair.

This is a very common repair... the shop usually unglues the whole fender panel, glues in a new panel, primers it and paints it. Takes three days.

The problem is... this is my oldest truck...my first truck...my baby. At 22 years old, it's a grandpa. The fenders are way on backorder...6 months at least... and the shop didn't want to rebuilt it...so I decided to try it myself.

$40 in paint and primer.

And I bought one of those vibrating multi-sander-cutters from Harbor Freight with a finger sander...$36...VERY usefull.

And the rest of the tools I had...angle grinder with cut off wheel, orbital sander, belt sander, inline sander, etc.

Pics to follow.

It's simple and fun...

Yeah, just make sure it’s fiberglass and not Kevlar. If ya wanted you could try some west systems 406 and cabosil. Not itchy at all, cleans up nice, but it can be hard as hell to sand. Also don’t know if you can buy an amount smaller then a gallon, but it’s good stuff.

That’s a protect, but doable. Just don’t rush or you will have a crooked canoe.

$40 in paint and primer.

Pics to follow.

It's simple and fun...

?

If you got the money use kelvar, it would save your butt from a drunk boater crashing into you .I built a couple of canoes using spray on fiberglass it's a pain in the butt getting bubbles out / rolling it but it pops off real easy from the wood mold and your right about west system with wood

$40 in paint and primer.

Pics to follow.

It's simple and fun...

?

If you got the money use kelvar, it would save your butt from a drunk boater crashing into you .I built a couple of canoes using spray on fiberglass it's a pain in the butt getting bubbles out / rolling it but it pops off real easy from the woold mold and your right about west system with wood

That’s what’s awesome about west systems and cabosil. No fiber at all, and it’s strong! It’s also lighter then fiber glass and Kevlar. That said, Kevlar makes a tough, but heavy canoe.

Forum List

Back