First time fiberglass repair...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
...not perfect...I ain't gonna put the collision shop outta business any time soon...but this was easier than I expected. A LOT of waiting for stuff to dry...I totally understand why freightliner didn't want to perform this repair.

This is a very common repair... the shop usually unglues the whole fender panel, glues in a new panel, primers it and paints it. Takes three days.

The problem is... this is my oldest truck...my first truck...my baby. At 22 years old, it's a grandpa. The fenders are way on backorder...6 months at least... and the shop didn't want to rebuilt it...so I decided to try it myself.

Got the fiberglass mat and fiberglass reinforced Bondo at Walmart...maybe $30.

Regular resin was $8...but I needed special resin...$60.

Evercoat glaze...$22...worth every penny...from O'Reilly's.

$60 in sandpaper, guidecoat, acetone, misc.

$40 in paint and primer.

And I bought one of those vibrating multi-sander-cutters from Harbor Freight with a finger sander...$36...VERY usefull.

And the rest of the tools I had...angle grinder with cut off wheel, orbital sander, belt sander, inline sander, etc.

Turned out pretty good for first attempt.

Pics to follow.

...not perfect...I ain't gonna put the collision shop outta business any time soon...but this was easier than I expected. A LOT of waiting for stuff to dry...I totally understand why freightliner didn't want to perform this repair.

This is a very common repair... the shop usually unglues the whole fender panel, glues in a new panel, primers it and paints it. Takes three days.

The problem is... this is my oldest truck...my first truck...my baby. At 22 years old, it's a grandpa. The fenders are way on backorder...6 months at least... and the shop didn't want to rebuilt it...so I decided to try it myself.

$40 in paint and primer.

And I bought one of those vibrating multi-sander-cutters from Harbor Freight with a finger sander...$36...VERY usefull.

And the rest of the tools I had...angle grinder with cut off wheel, orbital sander, belt sander, inline sander, etc.

Pics to follow.
Pics of your work?

$40 in paint and primer.

Pics to follow.

You drive a freight shaker?

$40 in paint and primer.

Pics to follow.

It's simple and fun...

$40 in paint and primer.

Pics to follow.

I Learned on a 10-speed fright shaker. They're pretty good. Drove a Kenworth out in the real world though.

$40 in paint and primer.

Pics to follow.

I Learned on a 10-speed fright shaker. They're pretty good. Drove a Kenworth out in the real world though.

Kenworth T250 I think? That and a 9 speed peterbuilt. Stressful stuff there.

$40 in paint and primer.

Pics to follow.

I've never done a Peterbilt. Though I took a shot at a job for an international 18-speed water bottle for the local gas extraction company. Turned it down for a regional. Turns out that was probably a mistake.

$40 in paint and primer.

Pics to follow.

I've never done a Peterbilt. Though I took a shot at a job for an international 18-speed water bottle for the local gas extraction company. Turned it down for a regional. Turns out that was probably a mistake.

I got a different job. Takes a curtain personality to drive big stuff.

The one I drove looked just like this one.

17787779305_f18ac536f0_b.jpg

Nice drive but I thought it was a bit underpowered.

$40 in paint and primer.

Pics to follow.

I got a different job. Takes a curtain personality to drive big stuff.
Yeah. I had a heart attack last December and it took Me until July to get My medical card back. I picked up a good job waiting and I'll probably not go back to driving.

LOL Waiting meaning I was waiting to go back to driving, not waiting on people.

Sand and prime, sand and prime, sand and prime ... until you never want to sand and prime no more. It's worth the extra steps.

$40 in paint and primer.

Pics to follow.

Yep...all Freightliners.

$40 in paint and primer.

Pics to follow.

It's simple and fun...

I was surprised how easy it was...now I want to try a canoe.

$40 in paint and primer.

Pics to follow.

That's what this one is...wish it was a 13, but it cruises and pulls so well, I never wanted to monkey around with it. It started life as an FFE truck. They set it up perfectly.

Sand and prime, sand and prime, sand and prime ... until you never want to sand and prime no more. It's worth the extra steps.

That's where I went wrong...not enough sanding...you can still see some scratches. In the spring I'll sand the paint off again, re-glaze it, sand it better, and repaint.

$40 in paint and primer.

Pics to follow.

It's simple and fun...

I was surprised how easy it was...now I want to try a canoe.

Yeah, just make sure it’s fiberglass and not Kevlar. If ya wanted you could try some west systems 406 and cabosil. Not itchy at all, cleans up nice, but it can be hard as hell to sand. Also don’t know if you can buy an amount smaller then a gallon, but it’s good stuff.

Forum List

Back