First ribeye loin grill

Always wanted to do it but it is so expensive. Last night I stopped by grocery store to get a couple things for chili and they had rib eyes on sale. Had 3 pound loins for 14 bucks. I jumped all over it. Got home and put it in salt and back in the fridge. I saved my trimmings for the juice but I don't really know what do past this point. Thought about mixing the trimmings with some Worcestershire sauce and some water, maybe some ale, and put it under the loin in the grill.
Any advice?

Don't overcook it.

Always wanted to do it but it is so expensive. Last night I stopped by grocery store to get a couple things for chili and they had rib eyes on sale. Had 3 pound loins for 14 bucks. I jumped all over it. Got home and put it in salt and back in the fridge. I saved my trimmings for the juice but I don't really know what do past this point. Thought about mixing the trimmings with some Worcestershire sauce and some water, maybe some ale, and put it under the loin in the grill.
Any advice?

Don't overcook it.
Definitely not. Im pulling it off grill at 130 degrees and sear it for a minute

here is the fake ass shit...

1. Melt fat in a skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk flour into beef fat; cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
  2. Pour beef broth into fat mixture; increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil.
  3. Boil mixture until it thickens slightly; season with salt and pepper to taste.
Beef Au Jus Recipe - Allrecipes.com
allrecipes.com/recipe/221957/beef-au-jus/

au jus is just the dripping from the pan......you are using a grill, no?
yes. My plan was to put all my trimmings, some onion and wors sauce and water or dark ale in it and put it under roast in grill. Am I going down the right path?

I think so. Low heat and then if you have a sear burner and want a sear on it, blast away at it, turning every minute or even less until you get the color you want.

the key to the sear step, if you even want to do that, is turning it like a madman. you want the heat to hit the surface, but not give it enough time to penetrate and cook the meat below it, so you end up with more meat at the temp you actually want throughout instead of just at the center of the meat, if you see what I'm saying. And leave the top up, you don't want the heat accumulating in the chamber at this point, as you're only interested in the direct heat you are applying to the surface nearest the flame for the express purpose of searing that specific surface.

I use this same procedure for a steak when I actually have the time.

then use a pan and roast it in the oven...or do you have a clay cooker...that is au jus
I think the two cooking methods are being confused here. For a good au jus the solid whole piece of meat should be a roast. Grilling is for the slabs of steak cut from the whole piece. For au jus, the roast is placed in a pan, preferably on an elevated rack of about 3/4 inch or with prime rib, with the bones creating it's own rack. Liquid is added in the roasting pan, the pan is covered with its lid or foil. The juices from the roast will drip into the pan and that is your au jus. That is how I make us jus from any kind of roasted or brazed meat.

then use a pan and roast it in the oven...or do you have a clay cooker...that is au jus
I think the two cooking methods are being confused here. For a good au jus the solid whole piece of meat should be a roast. Grilling is for the slabs of steak cut from the whole piece. For au jus, the roast is placed in a pan, preferably on an elevated rack of about 3/4 inch or with prime rib, with the bones creating it's own rack. Liquid is added in the roasting pan, the pan is covered with its lid or foil. T
No way will I put my baby in a pan lol

I will also freeze this roast for 20 minutes or so before placing it on the grill. TNHarley atomic weapon :cool:

Any advice?

Don't overcook it.
Definitely not. Im pulling it off grill at 130 degrees and sear it for a minute

Perfect. It's always best to take something off the grill or out of the oven before its done - it will continue cooking while it rests.

As a reminder to those cooking Big Turkeys tomorrow: 12 minutes per pound at 325 is plenty and the turkey stays juicy. Most people way over cook the turkey, hence the meat is very dry. I hate that.

Red wine is my bitch

cellartracker.com

life is too short to drink shitty wine....
I don't buy cheap stuff, but I don't get expensive stuff either. 40 bucks is my limit on a bottle. La Crema and Big Fire is my shit!

At that price point this is good stuff, about 20 bucks a bottle.

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine....DW1515477_8_K746cbad0f20ae80fa0c5a47827cedc1d

or this one, an Australian Cab

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine....W1358913_41_K34e74ed3edd7757096e9a2920bd9da6a

25-30 bucks.

Cameron Hughes winery also does a real good job of putting out wines at not ridiculous prices.

whatever you're drinking or thinking of buying you can plug into that cellartracker.com site to see what the winos think. their reviews are actually tougher than the critics in most cases and I've always found them to be very accurate. and there is a link to where to buy the stuff.

you'll never have bad wine again and will get better stuff for the same, or less, money than just shopping at your local vino store.

I'm confused...is it ribeye steak, bone in...or ribeye without the bone?

I don't trim them. The fat on ribeye is different than fat elsewhere, and it makes the meat. That isn't to say you are obliged to eat it all. But cook it with the fat. There will be some hard fat and some soft fat...generally speaking the fat all tastes good but I don't eat the hard fat or big globs of fat. But I don't cut up my ribeyes.

I season them with salt and pepper...then I grill or fry on pretty high heat. I like them rare, or medium rare. Rare makes me happiest. Seared on the outside. When I turn it I put a big dollop of butter on the cooked side. When I serve it I put more on.

It's one of the easiest and fastest steaks to cook, if that's what we're talking about.
Its a rib eye loin with no bones. About a 3 pound chunk.
My way of cooking the actual meat isn't the problem, I need help with my au jus. I have only done it once and used powder stuff from store... gross
I only cut off the thick layer of fat on one side. It still has plenty lol

Ok that's prime rib roast.

My sister is the prime rib expert. She had enough money to keep buying them until she got it right.

I am really no expert on prime rib roast. I have made it, but I am a poor single mother and I don't often have an opportunity to buy a prime rib. I have cooked them in industrial kitchens, but that's a hole different thing, those things are large. I've never cooked it on a grill, though I've cooked hundreds of ribeyes.

You aren't going to be able to make au jous if you grill it, unless there's some secret that I don't know to catch the juice and drippings.

I wouldn't have cut off the fat, the fat protects the meat so you can cook high and get that nice outer brown on a rare piece of meat...would also sear before, not after, cooking.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back