First domestic measles death in over a decade, thanks Carey.

This is a national emergency! It's a public health risk! These anti-vaxxers are endangering us all!

This woman did not have a measles vaccine! Don't be like her! Get your vaccine, and sign this petition to force other people to get their vaccine in case they don't listen to me!

Except she was vaccinated. Didn't matter. She was so messed up that a mosquito bite probably would have killed her (slight exaggeration). Measles got her first. First death in 12 years. It's been estimated that the MMR vaccine killed 80 people during that span. 25 people died during that span from having a vending machine fall on them. Maybe we should outlaw vending machines.

This is a national emergency! It's a public health risk! These anti-vaxxers are endangering us all!

This woman did not have a measles vaccine! Don't be like her! Get your vaccine, and sign this petition to force other people to get their vaccine in case they don't listen to me!

Except she was vaccinated. Didn't matter. She was so messed up that a mosquito bite probably would have killed her (slight exaggeration). Measles got her first. First death in 12 years. It's been estimated that the MMR vaccine killed 80 people during that span. 25 people died during that span from having a vending machine fall on them. Maybe we should outlaw vending machines.

And what is your point?

I think people should vaccinate- because if others had been vaccinated- she probably would never have gotten the Measles and died.
I think people should get vaccinated because Measles is one of the most infectious diseases we know- and vaccinating those who can be vaccinated protects those who cannot be vaccinated.

Do you think people should be vaccinated against Measles- or not?

And what is your point?

I think people should vaccinate- because if others had been vaccinated- she probably would never have gotten the Measles and died.
I think people should get vaccinated because Measles is one of the most infectious diseases we know- and vaccinating those who can be vaccinated protects those who cannot be vaccinated.

My point is to provide information. It's a moot point now because the decision has been taken out of the hands of parents.

Incidentally, my daughter was a home-birth so we didn't have to fight out the door staving off needles.

With my daughter, we got her some of the vaccines like meningitis that can actually kill an otherwise healthy child. We got her a separate tetanus jab after she was old enough to crawl over soil, but not the full-on Dtap. We opted out of the MMR, because the math says that more kids die from the actual vaccine than the disease.

Lo and behold, my child survived! It's a miracle. She's 17 now and I've told her that I'll sign off on any jab she wants. It's her decision now, not mine, and not the government's because the new law doesn't apply to kids already in the system.

Incidentally, we hired three midwives and had a home-birth. They came for the last 20 minutes, but I basically delivered my own child. No bright lights, no paperwork, no fighting your way out the hospital door staving off needles.

• Banned
Except she was vaccinated.

She'd been vaccinated many years ago, when the vaccine of the time was not as effective and was more prone to wear off over time. The modern vaccines are more effective.

Either way, what does that matter? Did she not know that the effectiveness of her vaccination would be degraded 20 years later? We each have a responsibility to maintain our own health. If you don't know your level of protection, you should talk with your doctor, who can review your vaccination records and advise you about how effective your previous vaccines may or may not still be after at this point in time. If you don't have records, blood tests can be done to determine your level of immunity.

If you want to be vaccinated, be vaccinated. If you want to be protected, it's on you to vaccinate yourself. You don't have any entitlement to someone else's immunity.

And what is your point?

My point is to provide information. It's a moot point now because the decision has been taken out of the hands of parents.

Incidentally, my daughter was a home-birth so we didn't have to fight out the door staving off needles.

With my daughter, we got her some of the vaccines like meningitis that can actually kill an otherwise healthy child. We got her a separate tetanus jab after she was old enough to crawl over soil, but not the full-on Dtap. We opted out of the MMR, because the math says that more kids die from the actual vaccine than the disease.

Lo and behold, my child survived! It's a miracle. She's 17 now and I've told her that I'll sign off on any jab she wants. It's her decision now, not mine, and not the government's because the new law doesn't apply to kids already in the system.

Yeah- every child who survives an infectious disease survives as does every child who never gets an infectious disease- because everyone else has been immunized.

You relied upon everyone else keeping your child safe.

Enough people do that- and then very few people will be safe.

Incidentally, we hired three midwives and had a home-birth. They came for the last 20 minutes, but I basically delivered my own child. No bright lights, no paperwork, no fighting your way out the hospital door staving off needles.

Our child was born in a hospital- no bright lights- don't remember much in the way of paperwork. Never had to fight our way out of the hospital staving off anything.

My child is fully immunized- and completely healthy.

And we are not relying upon everyone else in the community to do what we won't do.

I partially admit that. Although, my mother had measles as a child and now she's one of the healthiest baby boomers you'll meet. Measles was never going to kill my daughter. Other people have genetic weaknesses and should definitely be vaccinated.

Like I said, the question is now moot in California unless you have time to home school. Parents can no longer decide. Even private schools are subject to the new law.

Side effects from MMR jab (CDC);

Mild Problems

• Fever (up to 1 person out of 6)
  • Mild rash (about 1 person out of 20)
  • Swelling of glands in the cheeks or neck (about 1 person out of 75)
If these problems occur, it is usually within 7-12 days after the shot. They occur less often after the second dose.

Moderate Problems

• Seizure (jerking or staring) caused by fever (about 1 out of 3,000 doses)
  • Temporary pain and stiffness in the joints, mostly in teenage or adult women (up to 1 out of 4)
  • Temporary low platelet count, which can cause a bleeding disorder (about 1 out of 30,000 doses)
Severe Problems (Very Rare)

• Serious allergic reaction (less than 1 out of a million doses)
  • Several other severe problems have been reported after a child gets MMR vaccine, including:
    • Deafness
    • Long-term seizures, coma, or lowered consciousness
    • Permanent brain damage

I partially admit that. Although, my mother had measles as a child and now she's one of the healthiest baby boomers you'll meet. Measles was never going to kill my daughter. Other people have genetic weaknesses and should definitely be vaccinated.

Like I said, the question is now moot in California unless you have time to home school. Parents can no longer decide. Even private schools are subject to the new law.

Side effects from MMR jab (CDC);

Mild Problems

• Fever (up to 1 person out of 6)
  • Mild rash (about 1 person out of 20)
  • Swelling of glands in the cheeks or neck (about 1 person out of 75)
If these problems occur, it is usually within 7-12 days after the shot. They occur less often after the second dose.

Moderate Problems

• Seizure (jerking or staring) caused by fever (about 1 out of 3,000 doses)
  • Temporary pain and stiffness in the joints, mostly in teenage or adult women (up to 1 out of 4)
  • Temporary low platelet count, which can cause a bleeding disorder (about 1 out of 30,000 doses)
Severe Problems (Very Rare)

• Serious allergic reaction (less than 1 out of a million doses)
  • Several other severe problems have been reported after a child gets MMR vaccine, including:
    • Deafness
    • Long-term seizures, coma, or lowered consciousness
    • Permanent brain damage

Measles was never going to kill your child because everyone gets immunized.

Complications of measles may include:
  • Ear infection. One of the most common complications of measles is a bacterial ear infection.
  • Bronchitis, laryngitis or croup. Measles may lead to inflammation of your voice box (larynx) or inflammation of the inner walls that line the main air passageways of your lungs (bronchial tubes).
  • Pneumonia. Pneumonia is a common complication of measles. People with compromised immune systems can develop an especially dangerous variety of pneumonia that is sometimes fatal.
  • Encephalitis. About 1 in 1,000 people with measles develops encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain that may cause vomiting, convulsions, and, rarely, coma or even death. Encephalitis can closely follow measles, or it can occur months later.
  • Pregnancy problems. If you're pregnant, you need to take special care to avoid measles because the disease can cause pregnancy loss, preterm labor or low birth weight.
  • Low platelet count (thrombocytopenia). Measles may lead to a decrease in platelets — the type of blood cells that are essential for blood clotting.

Measles was never going to kill your child because everyone gets immunized.

The median number of measles cases per year is about 62, many of whom are vaccinated, with 1 death of a vaccinated woman in 12 years and zero deaths of non-vaccinated people.

With a median of 62 cases per year in a nation of 325 million, the math says that complications from vaccination are much more likely than complications from the disease itself.

That was the math I was faced with as a parent. I made a rational decision. You made your decision, which I have no problem with.

Forum List

Back