Firefox 57 is there

Bleipriester

Freedom!
Nov 14, 2012
Doucheland
A final Version of Firefox has been released today. I already installed it and it is quite fast so far. Remember, old extensions will not work and must be updated (if the developers do that update).

Not liking it so far...they changed the theme to look like Edge, including there is now advertisements on the front that appear to be immune to ABP.
Gone is the sleeker look, to the gray blocky feel of Edge.
Ugh

Edit....you can remove the ads in preferences. So Kudos for that.

It starts really faster then before and works without delay. Scrolling is now really smooth. The start page is strange. I can pin pages like in Opera but I can´t rearrange them. There is still no option to block third party cookies.

It starts really faster then before and works without delay. Scrolling is now really smooth. The start page is strange. I can pin pages like in Opera but I can´t rearrange them. There is still no option to block third party cookies.

So far I don't see a way to make the pins larger either. I haven't really delved into it., but once you turn off the advertisements - the pins still stay tiny. I have no idea why they would remove the ability to move them around either...makes no sense.
I will continue to use it as time goes by, but I don't really like the looks of it and hate the home page changes.

So far I don't see a way to make the pins larger either. I haven't really delved into it., but once you turn off the advertisements - the pins still stay tiny. I have no idea why they would remove the ability to move them around either...makes no sense.
I will continue to use it as time goes by, but I don't really like the looks of it and hate the home page changes.
I hope they improve the start page and will not inflate the browser with useless stuff.

Was there a previous version of 57 that did not allow third party cookie blocking?

Ah, right, the release version came out in Nov. I've just updated, checking it out.

A final Version of Firefox has been released today. I already installed it and it is quite fast so far. Remember, old extensions will not work and must be updated (if the developers do that update).

Damn, what a dramatic difference. Just upgraded.
It's night and day at least so far. Looks like they finally done fixed it.

Had a problem with my email being 'out of date' after installing the new Firefox. Apparently the auto/region setting went off. After I turned it back on, my email worked just fine. Don't know if the two are related though.

It just upgraded on my Linux laptop.......... The "look" sucks big time and it killed my 'NewScrollBars' add-on.
Looks like I'll be using Brave as my default browser from now on unless I can figure out how to install Firefox 56-ESR.
"Firefox, breaking perfectly good add-ons since 2011"

It just upgraded on my Linux laptop.......... The "look" sucks big time and it killed my 'NewScrollBars' add-on.
Looks like I'll be using Brave as my default browser from now on unless I can figure out how to install Firefox 56-ESR.
My Bluehell adblock won't work, and I looked, neither will Ad-block plus. The only one that will work is just Ad-block, which is sort of sketchy.

So my choice is to use a different browser, revert to a less secure version, use a sketchy ad-blocker, or wait for developers to update the add-ons.

Or just suffer slower browsing with ads? fml.

My Bluehell adblock won't work, and I looked, neither will Ad-block plus. The only one that will work is just Ad-block, which is sort of sketchy.

So my choice is to use a different browser, revert to a less secure version, use a sketchy ad-blocker, or wait for developers to update the add-ons.

I still have AdBlock Plus on mine, although its options look all different. I notice I no longer have the option of "disable on this page only", which is annoying. But it is clearing the ads off.

I noticed also they've revamped what add-ons you can use. Many of the old ones no longer work and you might have to find a new one or go without.

But overall the difference is still night and day here. I no longer have to type a letter and wait ten seconds for it to show up. I was about to abandon ship altogether but it's waaaay better now.

Adblock Plus version 3 is required.

This new version uses WebExtensions API but supposedly is the last release to support Legacy Extensions though I tried to enable legacy support with no effect. 52 ESR support ends in 2018 to be replaced with 59 ESR that will not support Legacy Add-ons at all.
Basically it comes down to using 57 as is until more add-ons are recoded to WebExtensions, use 52 ESR until more add-ons are available for 57 or use a different browser.
The real issue is that currently 57 with WebExtensions is much more secure and all the other browsers will most likely follow suit.

Forum List

Back