Firefox 57 is there

It just upgraded on my Linux laptop.......... The "look" sucks big time and it killed my 'NewScrollBars' add-on.
Looks like I'll be using Brave as my default browser from now on unless I can figure out how to install Firefox 56-ESR.
"Firefox, breaking perfectly good add-ons since 2011"
My Bluehell adblock won't work, and I looked, neither will Ad-block plus. The only one that will work is just Ad-block, which is sort of sketchy.

So my choice is to use a different browser, revert to a less secure version, use a sketchy ad-blocker, or wait for developers to update the add-ons.

Or just suffer slower browsing with ads? fml.
This new version uses WebExtensions API but supposedly is the last release to support Legacy Extensions though I tried to enable legacy support with no effect. 52 ESR support ends in 2018 to be replaced with 59 ESR that will not support Legacy Add-ons at all.
Basically it comes down to using 57 as is until more add-ons are recoded to WebExtensions, use 52 ESR until more add-ons are available for 57 or use a different browser.
The real issue is that currently 57 with WebExtensions is much more secure and all the other browsers will most likely follow suit.
I'm not a techie, so most of that sounded like ancient Greek to me.

I wouldn't trust myself to try to get 57 supporting "legacy Add-ons."

So yeah, I'll just have to wait, I need that extra security as the men in black are always after me. :tinfoil:

I sure as hell don't trust explorer or chrome, and I can't install linux cause my teen and I bond over Steam and Windows based games. I suppose I could partition the drive, but if something catastrophic happens, I'd end up wiping it anyway, so what's the point?

:rofl:

It just upgraded on my Linux laptop.......... The "look" sucks big time and it killed my 'NewScrollBars' add-on.
Looks like I'll be using Brave as my default browser from now on unless I can figure out how to install Firefox 56-ESR.
My Bluehell adblock won't work, and I looked, neither will Ad-block plus. The only one that will work is just Ad-block, which is sort of sketchy.

So my choice is to use a different browser, revert to a less secure version, use a sketchy ad-blocker, or wait for developers to update the add-ons.

This new version uses WebExtensions API but supposedly is the last release to support Legacy Extensions though I tried to enable legacy support with no effect. 52 ESR support ends in 2018 to be replaced with 59 ESR that will not support Legacy Add-ons at all.
Basically it comes down to using 57 as is until more add-ons are recoded to WebExtensions, use 52 ESR until more add-ons are available for 57 or use a different browser.
The real issue is that currently 57 with WebExtensions is much more secure and all the other browsers will most likely follow suit.

So yeah, I'll just have to wait, I need that extra security as the men in black are always after me. :tinfoil:

I sure as hell don't trust explorer or chrome, and I can't install linux cause my teen and I bond over Steam and Windows based games. I suppose I could partition the drive, but if something catastrophic happens, I'd end up wiping it anyway, so what's the point?

Brave browser, built in add blocker and basically privacy on steroids plus fast.

Home

I also use it on my Android phone.

Brave browser, built in add blocker and basically privacy on steroids plus fast.

Home

Use a smart phone?!

Now you are just talking crazy. :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

Home

On a side not, I believe USMB could really dominate the world of political discussion forums if they started taking Ƀ. It could become far less partisan and more sober about the reality of our world, attracting folks that are interested in Realpolitik.

Home

On a side not, I believe USMB could really dominate the world of political discussion forums if they started taking Ƀ. It could become far less partisan and more sober about the reality of our world, attracting folks that are interested in Realpolitik.
Politics? Non partisan and sober? Which are you taking, peyote or acid? :dunno:

Home

Politics? Non partisan and sober? Which are you taking, peyote or acid? :dunno:
Fair enough, even Realpolitik will seem partisan to the initiated.

Ringel05
Just installed linuxmint on a spare desktop at the office....I can tell you that Firefox 57 Quantum is the fastest I believe I have ever saw a browser load pages.

Too funny, I loaded this site before I installed ABP....how on earth do people use this site without blocking ads...wow what a difference

I cannot begin to describe the disappointment I have with firefox....

Ringel05
Just installed linuxmint on a spare desktop at the office....I can tell you that Firefox 57 Quantum is the fastest I believe I have ever saw a browser load pages.
Yes I have it on my Linux machines but so is Brave. :dunno:
Brave is ... Chrome.
Based on Chrome which is based on Chromium. So?
Chrome and privacy...
It's based on Chrome but it's not Chrome........ Maybe you should read up on it first or have you gone full blown conspiracy nutjob...........

Ringel05
Brave is ... Chrome.
Chrome and privacy...
It's based on Chrome but it's not Chrome........ Maybe you should read up on it first or have you gone full blown conspiracy nutjob...........
This is for the Android version but privacy is certainly not a strength of Brave. Even Chrome is saver, it seems. Firefox wins:
Brave Browser for Mobile: Your Privacy & Security Tested

Brave is ... Chrome.
Chrome and privacy...
This is for the Android version but privacy is certainly not a strength of Brave. Even Chrome is saver, it seems. Firefox wins:
Uuuummmm, same site........

Brave Is a Faster, Safer, Non-Google Web Browser Made for Today’s Internet

Plus

Benchmark tests: Brave browser vs. Chrome, Firefox, and IE 11

Speed comparison (Brave Vs Chrome Vs Firefox) · Issue #1737 · brave/browser-laptop · GitHub

That's just part of the list. Yes there are some sites that praise and some sites that deride Brave, I've read most of them, basically one needs to know who pays those sites bills to determine how unbiased they are. For all intent and purposes don't make a decision then go looking for bias confirmation, you'll find it.
Does that mean Brave is the end all, be all? Of course not. Does it have potential flaws and weaknesses? Of course it does, what browser doesn't.
Like I said, actually read up on it and not just those sites that minimize or deride Brave, when you've done the complete research then come back and try again from a position of knowledge, something that I know is hard for you to do.

Brave is ... Chrome.
Chrome and privacy...
Uuuummmm, same site........

Brave Is a Faster, Safer, Non-Google Web Browser Made for Today’s Internet

Plus

Benchmark tests: Brave browser vs. Chrome, Firefox, and IE 11

Speed comparison (Brave Vs Chrome Vs Firefox) · Issue #1737 · brave/browser-laptop · GitHub

That's just part of the list. Yes there are some sites that praise and some sites that deride Brave, I've read most of them, basically one needs to know who pays those sites bills to determine how unbiased they are. For all intent and purposes don't make a decision then go looking for bias confirmation, you'll find it.
Does that mean Brave is the end all, be all? Of course not. Does it have potential flaws and weaknesses? Of course it does, what browser doesn't.
Like I said, actually read up on it and not just those sites that minimize or deride Brave, when you've done the complete research then come back and try again from a position of knowledge, something that I know is hard for you to do.
My search caused mostly hits full of praise and glorification already in the title. However, you cannot argue this site is biased and at the same time post an article of the same site to strengthen your position. Maybe you are just after the bitcoins...

Forum List

Back