Finally, a real non interventionist.

So Trump's a non-interventionist when he tells other countries they can't trade with the US if they trade with Iran? Do you want to use a life line for this one?
Nobody's perfect.

At least we didn't go to war on China's behalf at our own expense.

Don't try changing the subject. The OP is LIE
Well, no its not. The one thing that can be said about Trump is that he is an isolationist. That is blatantly obvious.

The left continues to crow that he wants war even after he goes against the advice of the ENTIRE government and avoids escalation with Iran. It is a fucking joke.

So Trump's a non-interventionist when he tells other countries they can't trade with the US if they trade with Iran? Do you want to use a life line for this one?

Yes, obviously. How is this confusing? There is a stark difference in stating you have to do x, y and z to deal with us and going into your nation and bombing the shit out of it.

And if for some reason the flow of oil from that region is disrupted; we can charge more for ours...

Or China has to provide for protection. They have large Navy and get over 90% of their oil from there so let them do the job.
That's really the biggest fly in the ointment though. Allowing China to entrench itself in middle eastern affairs, and governments, could bring us closer toward conflict, in the event one of these China backed sand devil hellholes move against Israel.
20 years ago I may have agreed. Today?

Here is the problem. With all of our assets, intervention, war and aid spent in the ME, none of that region has moved closer to our goals or ideals. IOW, our influence over there is achieving almost nothing. It would be nice to see someone else spend a lot of resources accomplishing almost nothing rather than continue it ourselves.

I think what most people don't understand is that petroleum is not a domestic thing, it's a worldwide thing.

In the past I've traded commodities. While I never did much with oil, I still understand how it all works. It's the commodities market that sets the price of oil that we all pay in fuel.

So we get some bad news about oil disruption in the Gulf; something that may not directly affect the US. That will not stop commodity traders from buying long contracts. When investors buy long contracts (meaning they expect the price to increase) it ups the price of oil.

Based on what I read in the OP, it seems Trump doesn't even understand this. Even though the price of oil may increase in China, it still may have some impact on the US. How much? That's anybody's guess. But the price will not remain the same.
The question remains if the money we spend on our strategic assets and missions in the ME are worth the lowered cost of fuel. Particularly if we can get China to spend those resources for us.

Absolutely, and it's really the only question. Is the money we spend justified.

It's not so much on who is there, the US or China, it's if there is any disruption in oil flow. These people in the market are fragile. The least bit of news could set them off, especially with oil prices being so reasonable today.

I think what most people don't understand is that petroleum is not a domestic thing, it's a worldwide thing.

In the past I've traded commodities. While I never did much with oil, I still understand how it all works. It's the commodities market that sets the price of oil that we all pay in fuel.

So we get some bad news about oil disruption in the Gulf; something that may not directly affect the US. That will not stop commodity traders from buying long contracts. When investors buy long contracts (meaning they expect the price to increase) it ups the price of oil.

Based on what I read in the OP, it seems Trump doesn't even understand this. Even though the price of oil may increase in China, it still may have some impact on the US. How much? That's anybody's guess. But the price will not remain the same.

You are correct. There is a world wide market for oil. It is not a regional market.

Trump knows this well.

It is obvious his little tweet was made to scare China into accepting a trade deal.

I think what China is hoping for is that Trump won't win reelection and some weak minded Democrat will give away the store to them, like Obama did. They are willing to wait until the election.

Talking about influencing elections but China will pull out all stops to see that Trump is not reelected. So will other countries. Other countries do not like Trump looking after American interest. The Dream Team for other countries is to have a weak dumbass American President like Obama and a corrupt Secretary of State like Crooked Hillary, that can be bought, or a dofus like John Kerry.

The Democrats like Kerry and all of the Democrat Presidential hopefuls are traitors telling the Mullahs to just hang on because they will defeat Trump and return to America kissing Obama's Mullah buddies asses.

Forum List

Back