Federal Judge hands NRA a victory and blocks CA law that bans large-capacity ammo magazines

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie
Federal judge blocks law requiring Californians to dispose of high-capacity magazines

A federal judge Thursday granted a request by attorneys for the National Rifle Assn. to block a law that requires Californians to dispose of large-capacity ammunition magazines by Saturday or face fines and possible jail time.

U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez wrote in San Diego that the rights of voters who approved Proposition 63 in November have to be balanced against the rights of gun owners.

"If this injunction does not issue, hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of otherwise law-abiding citizens will have an untenable choice: become an outlaw or dispossess one’s self of lawfully acquired property," Benitez wrote. "That is a choice they should not have to make.”

C.D. Michel, an attorney for the NRA and state gun owners, welcomed the decision, which allows a lawsuit to be decided on its merits before the law takes effect...

The tide is turning against the communists.

Okay, I'm confused. Is this a different issue from the one that the SCOTUS just turned down with regard to California and its gun magazine law? I thought that the Appellate Court (9th Circuit) ruled that California could do this?

Opps. Never mind. That was a conceal carry ruling. A bad one at that.

Okay, I'm confused. Is this a different issue from the one that the SCOTUS just turned down with regard to California and its gun magazine law? I thought that the Appellate Court (9th Circuit) ruled that California could do this?

This one would require Californians to turn in these magazines by Saturday or otherwise become outlaws. I'm not sure which SCOTUS case you're referring to.

This one would require Californians to turn in these magazines by Saturday or otherwise become outlaws. I'm not sure which SCOTUS case you're referring to.
My bad. It was the concealed carry ruling.

Federal judge blocks law requiring Californians to dispose of high-capacity magazines

A federal judge Thursday granted a request by attorneys for the National Rifle Assn. to block a law that requires Californians to dispose of large-capacity ammunition magazines by Saturday or face fines and possible jail time.

U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez wrote in San Diego that the rights of voters who approved Proposition 63 in November have to be balanced against the rights of gun owners.

"If this injunction does not issue, hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of otherwise law-abiding citizens will have an untenable choice: become an outlaw or dispossess one’s self of lawfully acquired property," Benitez wrote. "That is a choice they should not have to make.”

C.D. Michel, an attorney for the NRA and state gun owners, welcomed the decision, which allows a lawsuit to be decided on its merits before the law takes effect...

Where was this defence when New York pulled the same anti 2A stunt?

Where was this defence when New York pulled the same anti 2A stunt?
Was Trump in office yet?

Forum List

Back