Federal court upholds ruling that cross-shaped monument on public land in Md. is unconstitutional

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
A federal appeals court is standing by a ruling that calls for the removal or destruction of a large cross-shaped monument on public land that has towered over a busy Maryland intersection for nearly 100 years.

In a closely divided vote, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit refused to reconsider an earlier decision that found government funding for the 40-foot-tall memorial in Prince George’s County an unconstitutional endorsement of religion.

The 8-to-6 vote drew passionate dissents from several judges and could end up before the Supreme Court, which has not provided clear guidance about displays of religion on government land.

Supporters of the Peace Cross, who say it is a secular tribute to local men killed in World War I, vowed to appeal.
Federal court upholds ruling that cross-shaped monument on public land in Md. is unconstitutional

I just lost all respect for the AHA and I am saying that as an atheist.

I'm pretty sure the issue would have never come up if the religious nuts hadn't hijacked our right wing.

First, I ain't paying the WaPo or anyone else to read their stuff. Second, this is bullshit. Third, what is it costing the gov't the maintain that cross? If I was a rich guy I'd buy the land and maintain it myself or get some volunteer groups to do whatever needs doing. And finally, there's way too much militancy going on; whether it's gay rights, religion/anti-religion, etc., stop looking for windmills to attack. This sort of stuff makes you look very small indeed, not too mention very unpopular too.

Someone needs to erect a huge crescent moon with a star in it at the busiest intersection in Dallas, across from the Crystal Cathedral or the Mormon Temple in Utah.

You'll see how quickly the cries of 'religious freedom' are replaced by calls for it to be removed, by Kristians.

First, I ain't paying the WaPo or anyone else to read their stuff. Second, this is bullshit. Third, what is it costing the gov't the maintain that cross? If I was a rich guy I'd buy the land and maintain it myself or get some volunteer groups to do whatever needs doing. And finally, there's way too much militancy going on; whether it's gay rights, religion/anti-religion, etc., stop looking for windmills to attack. This sort of stuff makes you look very small indeed, not too mention very unpopular too.

This is the history. Free link.
Maryland cross: religious symbol or war memorial? Court will decide

This gave me something about cash.
The decision was a setback for the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, which owns the site and has spent $117,000 to maintain and repair it, and the American Legion. The commission, which serves Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, was created by the Maryland General Assembly in 1927.
www.baltimoresun.com/news/.../bs-md-bladensburg-peace-cross-20171018-story.htm...

Someone needs to erect a huge crescent moon with a star in it at the busiest intersection in Dallas, across from the Crystal Cathedral or the Mormon Temple in Utah.

You'll see how quickly the cries of 'religious freedom' are replaced by calls for it to be removed, by Kristians.

This is a WWI memorial.

Atheism and theism have nothing to do with this memorial for WWI veterans.

A federal appeals court is standing by a ruling that calls for the removal or destruction of a large cross-shaped monument on public land that has towered over a busy Maryland intersection for nearly 100 years.

In a closely divided vote, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit refused to reconsider an earlier decision that found government funding for the 40-foot-tall memorial in Prince George’s County an unconstitutional endorsement of religion.

The 8-to-6 vote drew passionate dissents from several judges and could end up before the Supreme Court, which has not provided clear guidance about displays of religion on government land.

Supporters of the Peace Cross, who say it is a secular tribute to local men killed in World War I, vowed to appeal.

And as they drive around the same beltway, in Maryland, this can be seen for miles.

It must really get their panties in a wad.

3180a0bc72372094507_94c3ec7c90_z-jpg-square.jpeg

And as they drive around the same beltway, in Maryland, this can be seen for miles.

View attachment 181948

Is the Mormon Temple on federal land?

View attachment 181948

I have no idea if it does or not.

View attachment 181948

Of course not.

I just figured someone would rather eliminate this from view.

View attachment 181948

Of course not.

You really don't get it, do you?

View attachment 181948

Of course not.

You don't get it.

View attachment 181948

Of course not.

Yes I do "Get it" Bulldog.

The sarcasm flew over your head.

Considering I'm agnostic I really don't care.

If they are so offended I'd figure the tabernacle would melt their eyballs.

View attachment 181948

Of course not.

You don't get it.

You can have all the religious symbols you want. You just can't put them on government property where they would give the appearance of a government religion.

View attachment 181948

Of course not.

Yes I do "Get it" Bulldog.

The sarcasm flew over your head.

Considering I'm agnostic I really don't care.

If they are so offended I'd figure the tabernacle would melt their eyballs.

Looks like you figured wrong.

View attachment 181948

Of course not.

You don't get it.

You can have all the religious symbols you want. You just can't put them on government property where they would give the appearance of a government religion.

Even so, you think it should be removed although it’s been their for 100 years and is there to honour those lost in WW1?

View attachment 181948

Of course not.

You don't get it.

And had this been built in the last 20 years or some one was demanding this to be built then obnoxiousness might be warranted.

WWI memorial.

Forum List

Back