Fed judge rules DC's ban on carrying gun outside the home, is unconstitutional

The parties do not dispute the basic facts that underlie this action. D.C. Code § 7-2502.01(a) provides that "no persons or organization in the District shall possess or control any firearm, unless the persons or organization holds a valid registration certificate for the firearm."

D.C. Code § 7-2502.02(a)(4) provides that individuals who are not retired police officers may only register a handgun "for use in self-defense within that person's home."

I didn't realize that gun laws in D.C. were so restrictive. If you can't take the gun outside of the home, how are you supposed to take it to the shooting range? :eusa_eh:

I assume that a new gun owner would ideally like to learn how to use his firearm properly. Not being permitted to leave his home with his own gun does not give him that option.
That is the point, they don't want you to haveit, they don't want you to learn how to shoot the only reason they couldn't just removeguns entirely it's because there is an amendment stripping them.
By doing this they are creating a dangerous situation. Someone untrained in the proper use of a firearm can cause more harm than good. Not allowing someone to take his gun out of the home in order to drive to the shooting range would result in an armed intruder having the upper hand. Not to mention the poor aim may result in firing at unintentional targets.

If guns are not allowed outside the home in DC, why are there so many gun murders outside the home in DC? Is this an indication that gun laws do not work?

Apparently the police chief has said they will not stop or prosecute anyone who has a valid carry permit from anywhere.
Wow. From zero to hero overnight. Watch the crime rate in DC go down until the city council "remedies" this situation.

The parties do not dispute the basic facts that underlie this action. D.C. Code § 7-2502.01(a) provides that "no persons or organization in the District shall possess or control any firearm, unless the persons or organization holds a valid registration certificate for the firearm."

D.C. Code § 7-2502.02(a)(4) provides that individuals who are not retired police officers may only register a handgun "for use in self-defense within that person's home."

I didn't realize that gun laws in D.C. were so restrictive. If you can't take the gun outside of the home, how are you supposed to take it to the shooting range? :eusa_eh:

I assume that a new gun owner would ideally like to learn how to use his firearm properly. Not being permitted to leave his home with his own gun does not give him that option.

it's ridiculous. I live near in DC in Maryland (which is almost just as bad). Pretty much, when I go to the NRA range in Virginia, I stay on the belt way & avoid going through DC even though my rifle is locked in its case in the trunk. It adds some time to the trip, but it's just not worth risking it. This ruling is very welcome indeed!

what a fantastic decision in the name of freedom and liberty for those citizens, let's push for the remaining dominos to keep falling.

oooooh!! BTW.., not one liberantigunner has infested this topic, where did they go ?

Weird that they have not come out of the woodwork yet.

Not really. The anti-gun crowd here has really taken a shellacking on the facts and data concerning gun rights and the effects (or lack thereof) of gun laws.

There are always a few but to date I have not had a single poster here bring up one relevant or factual argument for gun laws. Not one. And that is over many threads.

Forum List

Back