Fed gov't set to sue FL over voter purge

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
:thup:

“It appears that the State of Florida is unwilling to conform its behavior to the requirements of federal law,” wrote Thomas Perez, assistant U.S. attorney general and head of the federal law enforcement agency's Civil Rights Division. ... The significant problems you are encountering in administering this new program are of your own creation."

The Justice Department letter accuses the state of violating two laws. One, the Voting Rights Act, was put in place in 1965 to protect black and Latino voters who had faced poll taxes, literacy tests, alternative voting times or facilities. The law requires five Florida counties, along with a handful of mostly Southern states with histories of voter discrimination, to seek federal approval before changing voting policies or procedures. More than 60 percent of the voters declared suspect in Florida are black or Latino, according to a Miami-Herald analysis.

A second federal law, the National Voter Registration Act, requires states to make efforts to maintain accurate voter rolls. It also forbids states from removing voters from their rolls within 90 days of a federal election. Florida holds a congressional primary in August and the presidential election in November. The 90-day window began May 16, according to the Justice Department.

Last edited:
http://election.dos.state.fl.us/forms/pdf/DSDE56.pdfOATH OF OFFICE
(Art. II. § 5(b), Fla. Const.)
STATE OF FLORIDA
County of ___________________________
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support, protect, and defend the Constitution and Government of the United States and of the State of Florida; that I am duly qualified to hold office under the Constitution of the State, and that I will well and faithfully perform the duties of

Gee, the most politicized racist justice department in history uses disparate analysis to object to a state trying to maintain the integrity of its election process.
Color me shocked.

Gov. Scott will not sit back and take the setback on cleaning up the voter roles quietly.
This is why I would vote for him again.

Florida to sue DHS in voter registration battle
Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) said he will sue the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to move forward with his controversial attempt to purge the voter rolls in his state of ineligible voters.

“I have a job to do to defend the right of legitimate voters,” Scott told Fox News on Monday. “We’ve been asking for the Department of Homeland Security’s database, SAVE, for months, and they haven’t given it to us. So this afternoon, we will be filing a lawsuit, the secretary of State of Florida, against the Department of Homeland Security to give us that database. We want to have fair, honest elections in our state and we have been put in a position that we have to sue the federal government to get this information.”
Florida to sue DHS in voter registration battle - The Hill's Video

Did the guv of FL swear to uphold the laws of the united states?

No, I don't think he did. Governors don't swear an oath to uphold the federal constitution, doofus.

Did Holder swear to uphold the laws of the United States? No one who defends Holder is in a position to be criticizing anyone about upholding the laws of the United States.

They are purging non voters.

And they are not checking skin color.

FL should sue for harassment.

I thought Florida was suing.

I thought they were suing the feds for SAVE access...they are being denied access to the federal data banks of immigrants...

btw, state workers have access to SAVE...they use it to determine eligibility of applicants for benefits, and to determine citizenship status.

But the feds are denying florida access, because they don't want them to prevent illegals from voting illegally.

:thup:

“It appears that the State of Florida is unwilling to conform its behavior to the requirements of federal law,” wrote Thomas Perez, assistant U.S. attorney general and head of the federal law enforcement agency's Civil Rights Division. ... The significant problems you are encountering in administering this new program are of your own creation."

The Justice Department letter accuses the state of violating two laws. One, the Voting Rights Act, was put in place in 1965 to protect black and Latino voters who had faced poll taxes, literacy tests, alternative voting times or facilities. The law requires five Florida counties, along with a handful of mostly Southern states with histories of voter discrimination, to seek federal approval before changing voting policies or procedures. More than 60 percent of the voters declared suspect in Florida are black or Latino, according to a Miami-Herald analysis.

A second federal law, the National Voter Registration Act, requires states to make efforts to maintain accurate voter rolls. It also forbids states from removing voters from their rolls within 90 days of a federal election. Florida holds a congressional primary in August and the presidential election in November. The 90-day window began May 16, according to the Justice Department.

Well there goes another "toss up" state! Lessee,, now they've sued Georgia, Texas, Arizona, Florida, am I missing somebody? oh yeah,, South Carolina,, North Carolina.

:clap2:

Yup. The DOJ sure knows how to make friends an influence folks. Holder is a patisan ass and I hope he gets hung for FF.

Whats wrong with getting ineligible voters off the rolls?? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Yup. The DOJ sure knows how to make friends an influence folks. Holder is a patisan ass and I hope he gets hung for FF.

Whats wrong with getting ineligible voters off the rolls?? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Well an actual bipartisan group of county elections officials think there is something wrong with the purge.

County elections chiefs to state: We won’t resume voter purge program

why do you want illegals to vote?

I don't. Why do you want to disenfranchise citizens of this country? 67 County Elections officials say this list is flawed. Half of them are Republicans. Why would you want these officials to use a flawed list?

They are purging non voters.

And they are not checking skin color.

FL should sue for harassment.

Coincidence that they have a history of it then? A history of it suggests a pattern. A pattern is not a coincidence.

Additionally, they have broken two laws. Doesnt that mean something to the "rule of law" repubs?

Forum List

Back