Fears for Obama's safety as healthcare debate fuels extremism

There appears to be a deficit among certain posters with regard to being able to focus.

[off to check the lunar schedule]:eusa_eh:
yeah, YOU

Says the person who complains because I'm not responding to a point that wasn't made.
you made the point that death threats had risen by 400%
i havent yet seen you back that up
if you did, i missed it, or you didnt state which of the many links you posted actually backs it up

yeah, YOU

Says the person who complains because I'm not responding to a point that wasn't made.
if you did, i missed it, or you didnt state which of the many links you posted actually backs it up
Here's one:

Barack Obama faces 30 death threats a day, stretching US Secret Service - Telegraph

Most however, are kept under wraps because the Secret Service fears that revealing details of them would only increase the number of copycat attempts. Although most threats are not credible, each one has to be investigated meticulously.

"Credible", as described in other articles about death threats, means that they had plans and/or were capable of carrying them out, not that the threats weren't made.

Here's one:

Barack Obama faces 30 death threats a day, stretching US Secret Service - Telegraph

Most however, are kept under wraps because the Secret Service fears that revealing details of them would only increase the number of copycat attempts. Although most threats are not credible, each one has to be investigated meticulously.

"Credible", as described in other articles about death threats, means that they had plans and/or were capable of carrying them out, not that the threats weren't made.
HOLY SHIT
they are claiming he is on track for 12,000 death threats in a year?
sorry, that is hard to believe
its even hard to believe Bush got 3000 in a year

i haev to wonder if that is a reliable story at all
the telegraph wasnt always very reliable in recent years

hell, even the 30 a day claim makes it less than that
only a little over 10k
but i have a feeling that stoy is BS

Here's the thing, he is milking it, what he is "going through" is no worse or different than any of the others, he just airs it for more attention. This is why I didn't like him in the first place, he's a publicity junky and is more interested in getting attention from people than doing a good job. He won the election because of cornering the advertising online and being a pretty face, nothing more. As I have stated since I knew he was running, he's a failed American Idol star and fan ... nothing more.

When you graduate from Harvard Magna cum Laude then we can discuss how you failed. But alas I fear it is too late. There isn't enough time for you to catch up, you're inherently too slow. [my assessment from reading your latest posts, especially the ones to do with solar, you're way off the mark] He's definitely a force to be reckoned with; one doesn't have to like his policies to recognize that. You're on the interwebz kibbitzing, he's the POTUS.

I didn't particularly care for the path Rummy took, but I recognized he was brilliant and way ahead of the shrub and Cheney. None of them could even lick his boots. Gotta give cred where it is due, otherwise you won't have any cred yourself.

Wow ... you really think it takes that much brains to see what a media whore he is? The really sad thing is that you make an assertion like that without knowing a bit about me or even what I do for a living, n00b.

Sweet little kitten, we see your posts every day. They define someone that has little scientific education, that is too lazy to research the topics that they comment on, and hates everyone in general. Sorry about the world you live in, but you have created it for yourself.

Amid raucous protests on health care, some worry about Obama's safety - Yahoo! Canada News

WASHINGTON - Death threats are part of the job for any American president, but Barack Obama has reportedly had more levelled against him than any commander-in-chief in history.

Concerns about his safety are mounting in the midst of a tense summer that has seen mobs of angry demonstrators showing up to protest Obama's health-care reform plans - including a man openly carrying a pistol on Tuesday in New Hampshire, where the president held a town hall meeting on health care.

It's legal to carry holstered weapons in the state, so long as they're not concealed. The man was also waving a sign that read "It Is Time To Water The Tree of Liberty," a reference to the Thomas Jefferson quote: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Death threats against Presidents are nothing new, sadly. How many of both parties have been assassinated, or had a serious attempt made on their lives, over the course of the Republic? The Secret Service was not created for Presidential protection, but was tasked with it for a damn good reason. The last few Presidents have probably chosen very....un-Presidential VPs for the same reason. It's a kind of life insurance, IMO. The threats are and have been very real.

The thing that bothers me about the sign in the OP is the inclusion of the entire Obama family. Some regular person taking the rhetoric too far might mention Obama's death, but it takes a real sicko to advocate killing children. I wonder if this guy was one of the same people who howled when some on the left (wrongly) went after the Palin kids?

The other thing that bothers me is that we have become so accustomed to this kind of thing that too many of us are defending somebody calling for the assassination of a President as just business as usual. Look, they did it to my guy! It always happens, so what's the big deal? It might be true (is true actually), but should we really be excusing it on either side? When a nation can no longer have intelligent discourse on the issues without resorting to death threats, there is a serious problem.

Last edited:
EURweb.com - PRESIDENTIAL DEATH THREATS UP 400 PERCENT: New book claims Obama gets 30 death threats a day.

PRESIDENTIAL DEATH THREATS UP 400 PERCENT: New book claims Obama gets 30 death threats a day.
(August 7, 2009)Email to a friend | Print Friendly Buzz up!

*President Barack Obama is the target of more than 30 potential death threats a day and is being protected by an increasingly over-stretched and under-resourced Secret Service, according to a new book.

Since Obama took office, the rate of threats against the president has increased 400 percent from the roughly 3,000 per year under President George W. Bush, according to Ronald Kessler, author of "In the President's Secret Service."

Some threats to Obama, whose Secret Service codename is Renegade, have been publicized, including an alleged plot by white supremacists in Tennessee late last year to rob a gun store, shoot 88 black people, decapitate another 14 and then assassinate the first black president in American history.

Most however, are kept under wraps because the Secret Service fears that revealing details of them would only increase the number of copycat attempts. Although most threats are not credible, each one has to be investigated thoroughly.

According to the book, intelligence officials received intel that people associated with the Somalia-based Islamist group al-Shabaab might try to disrupt Obama's inauguration in January, when the Secret Service coordinated at least 40,000 agents and officers from some 94 police, military and security agencies.

More than a dozen counter-sniper teams were stationed along the inauguration parade route and the criminal records of employees and hotel guests in nearby buildings were scrutinized, the book states. Despite all this, there were glaring loopholes in the security.

Kessler describes how more than 100 VIPs and major campaign donors were screened by metal detectors but then walked along a public pavement before boarding "secure" buses and were not checked again. It could have been relatively simple for an assassin to have mingled with them in order to get close enough to shoot the new president, the book notes.

After Obama was elected president, his two children Malia, 11, codenamed Radiance, and Sasha, eight, codenamed Rosebud, began receiving Secret Service protection. Obama's wife Michelle is codenamed Renaissance. The Secret Service also started to protect Vice-President Joe Biden's children, grandchildren, and mother.

Instead of bringing in more agents, the Secret Service directed agents to work longer hours to cover the extra load and to miss firearms training, physical fitness sessions and tests.

"We have half the number of agents we need, but requests for more agents have fallen on deaf ears at headquarters," a Secret Service agent told Kessler. "Headquarters' mentality has always been, 'You can complete the mission with what you have. You're a U.S.S.S. agent'."

How the hell does death threats being UP 400% over the previous administration equate to him being a media whore?

You know, there are three types of liars. Liars, damned liars, and statisticians.

We dont have figures for the death threats of previous administrations. nor the figures for the current one.

We do have countless public cries for President Bush's assassination. Several books written on doing that. At least one movie that was publicized for the sole purpose of it. And now we are supposed to just accept one guy carrying a sign in New England as evidence that the threats have multiplied and now they are somehow unexceptable?

The double standards for you people are absolutely outrageous here.

I can tell you one thing. If there ever is a plot, its not going to be by someone on the right. It will be from someone on the left trying to keep him from ruining their plans and attempting to blame it on the right.

The figure is from a new book by Ronald Kessler.... interesting.

So does this mean we can now cite stories from NewsMax without catching any shit? Did any of you libs catch his 2004 book "A Matter Of Character" where he praised GWB? He also does op-ed's for the WSJ that great bastion of liberal thought.

Are you guys really sure this is who you want to give credibility to? I don't think his number sounds right. I think it's more intended to show how hated Obama is and tho I haven't read the book I'll bet the main thrust of it is that he's hated for good reason. It seems an odd endorsement from the Left here.

So which is it, is this guy a credible source of info or not? :)

I wasn't comparing myself or my education to KK's, I was responding to KK's assertion that Obama was nothing but a pretty face etc.,......and when her CV is approaching his, then maybe we can have a talk about her 'evaluation'. She didn't offer her qualifications, and I didn't ask. It isn't about my believability, it about hers. [with respect to her assesment of Obama being just a pretty face]

Here's your problem. You seem to think a piece of paper qualifies a person.

Having experience with many graduates from fine schools who are dumb as a rock, you are wrong.

The figure is from a new book by Ronald Kessler.... interesting.

So does this mean we can now cite stories from NewsMax without catching any shit? Did any of you libs catch his 2004 book "A Matter Of Character" where he praised GWB? He also does op-ed's for the WSJ that great bastion of liberal thought.

Are you guys really sure this is who you want to give credibility to? I don't think his number sounds right. I think it's more intended to show how hated Obama is and tho I haven't read the book I'll bet the main thrust of it is that he's hated for good reason. It seems an odd endorsement from the Left here.

So which is it, is this guy a credible source of info or not? :)

Hardly.

Unlike the left wingnuts, I doubt DiveCon is interested in posting massive links to posts on here when you can do the search yourself. Not to mention that most of the "death threats" you are talking about would be in the mail (and thus now storage someplace, ie "tossed") and not on here. Honestly I have yet to see one poster here calling for Obama's death.

Youre right. No one is calling for his death. For one, we respect life. and two we arent stupid enough to want Biden in charge.

hmmm.........but you were adamantly FOR the Iraq invasion and insist it was legal. I know I'm borrowing from another thread here so don't go all postal and ask me to link to your own posts.

I find your opposing views on these two matters to be puzzling.

It was legal. Congress authorized it.

Yeah. Those people investigated and arrested for threats against the President were simply part of Obama's grand plan to garner media coverage.

Do you realize how crazy you are sounding?

Are you going to provide a link to the source of the "up 400%" claim or not?
I think she already did, maybe you should read the thread alittle better.

http://www.secretservice.gov/FY2008_AnnualReport_WM.pdf

feel free to point out the relevant stats re: increased death threats

hint:they don't exist.

Especially since it is for 2008!
And I think on page 6 says it all, Obama got a detail in feb 07, McCain didn't get one until april 2008. I wonder why they would give a hopeful a detail earlier then anyone else. McCain didn't get one as only possible Republican candidate. Maybe could it be because Obama was recieving more death rates. Or maybe it is because he is a media whore!:doubt:

Yeah. Those people investigated and arrested for threats against the President were simply part of Obama's grand plan to garner media coverage.

Do you realize how crazy you are sounding?

Are you going to provide a link to the source of the "up 400%" claim or not?
I think she already did, maybe you should read the thread alittle better.

Um.... yea. I already responded to her bout that. Maybe YOU should read the thread a little better. It was post #83, so what was that... about 50 posts ago?

Since then we've moved on to discover the figure comes from a book by well known right wing pundit Ronald Kessler. And I posed the question to the left asking if this was really a guy they wanted to call credible and put their faith in. He's an editor at NewsMax and writes op-ed pieces for the WSJ. Can the right now cite these sources without the left blubbering about bias? If you want to get in on the discussion that's where we're at now. If you're just trolling my posts you're failing.

http://www.secretservice.gov/FY2008_AnnualReport_WM.pdf

feel free to point out the relevant stats re: increased death threats

hint:they don't exist.

Especially since it is for 2008!
And I think on page 6 says it all, Obama got a detail in feb 07, McCain didn't get one until april 2008. I wonder why they would give a hopeful a detail earlier then anyone else. McCain didn't get one as only possible Republican candidate. Maybe could it be because Obama was recieving more death rates. Or maybe it is because he is a media whore!:doubt:

Both are true.

Forum List

Back