FDA OKs 'morning-after' pill for 17-year-olds

It still don't get why you'd want to inflict 30 days of pain on a teenager who, for whatever reason, used a pill as a last resort to avoid the possibility of eventually needing an abortion. Do you think a pill like that would be used much? How would your plan help reduce the number of abortions performed?

It still don't get why you'd want to inflict 30 days of pain on a teenager who, for whatever reason, used a pill as a last resort to avoid the possibility of eventually needing an abortion. Do you think a pill like that would be used much? How would your plan help reduce the number of abortions performed?

"...for whatever reason.."? :eusa_hand: Don't play obtuse. Headaches, queasy stomach, random vomiting.. Hardly anything that's going to cause death, but damn well makes them think about what they're doing next time.. Hell, it'll be just like morning sickness, only without the resulting life form. If that ain't enough of a wakeup call that you're playing an adult game, then I don't know what is.

Simply put, if you want to play like an adult, then act like an adult.

Yeah, actually I was young.. And I managed to get through it without going to jail, getting pregnant, skirting responsibility for my actions, and blaming everyone else for my problems.

How ever did I manage? :eusa_whistle:

Same here and yet I did not grow up to be so radically anti choice as to wish 30 days of pain on 17 year old girls who take a pill which prevents the need for abortions.
You'd think that someone who is so opposed to abortion would be glad that this last chance now exists. The more I read posts like yours, the more I am inclined to believe that some anti choicers care less about protecting future life than they do about hating on women who enjoy sex.

You're dumber than a brick, woman. If a 17 year old is old enough to have sex, she's damned well old enough to protect herself prior to having it. And if she's *that* sexually active at 17, and her parents haven't done anything on their end such as getting her on birth control, then there's something wrong at THAT level, too.

That particular pill should be used only in the case of rape, and distributed only by a doctor. Not flung about like candy at a parade.

Contraception should only be used in the case of RAPE? Really?! This is exactly the pull-me-push-me bullshit that keeps abortion from being rare, because the supposed pro-life crowd doesn't want to preserve anything but punishment and stigma.

"...for whatever reason.."? :eusa_hand: Don't play obtuse. Headaches, queasy stomach, random vomiting.. Hardly anything that's going to cause death, but damn well makes them think about what they're doing next time.. Hell, it'll be just like morning sickness, only without the resulting life form. If that ain't enough of a wakeup call that you're playing an adult game, then I don't know what is.

Complications from miscarriage (that would probably be hidden until the kid was septic) from a completely preventable pregnancy? No big deal, ho hum, let the kid suffer complications. Hell, why don't we take the airbags out of their cars too?

Same here and yet I did not grow up to be so radically anti choice as to wish 30 days of pain on 17 year old girls who take a pill which prevents the need for abortions.
You'd think that someone who is so opposed to abortion would be glad that this last chance now exists. The more I read posts like yours, the more I am inclined to believe that some anti choicers care less about protecting future life than they do about hating on women who enjoy sex.

You're dumber than a brick, woman. If a 17 year old is old enough to have sex, she's damned well old enough to protect herself prior to having it. And if she's *that* sexually active at 17, and her parents haven't done anything on their end such as getting her on birth control, then there's something wrong at THAT level, too.

That particular pill should be used only in the case of rape, and distributed only by a doctor. Not flung about like candy at a parade.

Contraception should only be used in the case of RAPE? Really?! This is exactly the pull-me-push-me bullshit that keeps abortion from being rare, because the supposed pro-life crowd doesn't want to preserve anything but punishment and stigma.

That's what you're calling the MAP? Contraception? LMFAO. Woman, condoms are contraception. You purchase those at the grocery store, and put them on prior to getting laid. Birth control is prescribed by your doctor. That is taken every day. That is contraception.

The MAP is just another fucking way for you to sweep your mistakes under the carpet, and not have to take responsibility for your actions.

Oh, and bolding your font doesn't make you look any smarter.

Complications from miscarriage (that would probably be hidden until the kid was septic) from a completely preventable pregnancy? No big deal, ho hum, let the kid suffer complications. Hell, why don't we take the airbags out of their cars too?

You want to prevent a pregnancy? Either take measures to prevent it prior to having sex, or keep your fucking legs closed. THAT is how you prevent a "mistake".

I'm all for women and girls have choices and options. I think it's really sad if there's a huge disconnect between a girl and her parents but it DOES happen, and they still need to take care of themselves.

They do Amanda. A life sentence shouldn't be handed out as punishment for a gleefully misspent youth. Hell, a kid could grow up, if she's (or he's) allowed, and make a great parent someday, when they're ready.:clap2:

Gleefully misspent? Is that what we're calling totally irresponsible behavior that needs to have more severe consequences now?

I managed to avoid troubles; contraceptives and education how to use them have that effect. And yes, it was gleeful you old prune.
I'm guessing your mother took a deep breath, hoped for the best, but dealt with the consequences. A bottle baby, yes?

They do Amanda. A life sentence shouldn't be handed out as punishment for a gleefully misspent youth. Hell, a kid could grow up, if she's (or he's) allowed, and make a great parent someday, when they're ready.:clap2:

Gleefully misspent? Is that what we're calling totally irresponsible behavior that needs to have more severe consequences now?

I managed to avoid troubles; contraceptives and education how to use them have that effect. And yes, it was gleeful you old prune.
I'm guessing your mother took a deep breath, hoped for the best, but dealt with the consequences. A bottle baby, yes?

First off, we don't bring family members into discussion - a quick perusal of the rules will tell you that (of course, knowing what the rules are prior to posting is too close to a preventative measure, huh?)

Second of all, why is it you can rush off and take a magic pill after the fact, but you can't take preventative measures BEFORE the fact? I mean, other than the "gimme now!" and "me! me! me!" mentality you all seem to be inflicted with?

Welfare case, perhaps? Used to having the world handed to you on a silver platter?

That's what you're calling the MAP? Contraception? LMFAO. Woman, condoms are contraception. You purchase those at the grocery store, and put them on prior to getting laid. Birth control is prescribed by your doctor. That is taken every day. That is contraception.

The MAP is just another fucking way for you to sweep your mistakes under the carpet, and not have to take responsibility for your actions.

The MAP prevents an unintended pregnancy, it is a contraceptive, or a prophylactic, if you like (not that you likely have much use of one). Another use of the word prophylactic is for the meds given to hospital staff aftera needle stick. They are preventative measures.

As for my font, oddly enough, it doesn't make you look any dumber, either.
:eusa_whistle:

The MAP prevents an unintended pregnancy, it is a contraceptive, or a prophylactic, if you like (not that you likely have much use of one). Another use of the word prophylactic is for the meds given to hospital staff aftera needle stick. They are preventative measures.

A condom prevents an unintended pregnancy. Birth control pills prevent an unintended pregnancy. IUD's prevent an unintended pregnancy. All of which are available before the fact.

Too lazy, or just too fucking stupid?

A condom prevents an unintended pregnancy. Birth control pills prevent an unintended pregnancy. IUD's prevent an unintended pregnancy. All of which are available before the fact.

It doesn't really apply to me. My best guess would be a victim of abstinence only miseducation. We didn't have that when I was a kid.

The MAP also prevents an unintended pregnancy.It is not an abortive measure, it is a preventative measure. Buy a clue. Ignorance is only curable where it isn't willful. In your case I believe it is chronic and more than a little disingenuous. I don't know where you came by your nasty attitude towards women, but buck up little guy, maybe you'll be wanted (and breast-fed) in your next life.

It doesn't really apply to me. My best guess would be a victim of abstinence only miseducation. We didn't have that when I was a kid.

The MAP also prevents an unintended pregnancy.It is not an abortive measure, it is a preventative measure. Buy a clue. Ignorance is only curable where it isn't willful. In your case I believe it is chronic and more than a little disingenuous. I don't know where you came by your nasty attitude towards women, but buck up little guy, maybe you'll be wanted (and breast-fed) in your next life.

How stupid are you? I AM a woman, and believe that *WE* control our future, since *WE* are the ones that give birth. If I don't want to have a child, I'm going to ensure that I don't become pregnant PRIOR to having sex.

I'd use the MAP...seems much safer overall than birth control pills and more of a sure thing than condoms.

How stupid are you? I AM a woman, and believe that *WE* control our future, since *WE* are the ones that give birth. If I don't want to have a child, I'm going to ensure that I don't become pregnant PRIOR to having sex.

Meanwhile (at 30 or 40 something?), the issue hasn't really come up one way or the other, has it? Bottle baby nevertheless, and mom obviously heaved a heavy sigh and bore her burden.

Meanwhile (at 30 or 40 something?), the issue hasn't really come up one way or the other, has it? Bottle baby nevertheless, and mom obviously heaved a heavy sigh and bore her burden.

You know.. I lost my virginity at 13. Yet, even at 13 I was well enough "educated" to know the possible consequences of my actions and took measures to ensure I wasn't a mother by the time I turned 14.

That's the difference between the right and left.. One tends to err on the side of caution, the other is out for a free for all, and let someone else fix it later. How selfish can you possibly be?

I'd use the MAP...seems much safer overall than birth control pills and more of a sure thing than condoms.

It isn't meant for regular use, but for when condoms or the pill, or other methods are suspected to have failed (missed a day, condom broke, found a hole in the rubber cap). As for IUD, read up on that one, not so hot. There are shots that last for months, and a patch. A good trusting relationship with your doctor will lead to the most effective method of birth control, but when or if a method fails, the MAP is contraceptive, not abortive. Don't let anyone tell you different. One more thing, if you're a guy, wrap that rascal no matter what your partner says, and if there are condoms out there with a spermicide (minoxidil?), they would be the best ones because they guard (not 100%, but extra is extra) against some of the nasties as well.

You know.. I lost my virginity at 13. Yet, even at 13 I was well enough "educated" to know the possible consequences of my actions and took measures to ensure I wasn't a mother by the time I turned 14.

That's the difference between the right and left.. One tends to err on the side of caution, the other is out for a free for all, and let someone else fix it later. How selfish can you possibly be?

Ok, so you're a reformed hose bag. I had my first child at 26, and avoided pregnancy until then through birth control. What's your point? You could be a round-heels at thirteen and a seventeen year old shouldn't take advantage of new technology because it wasn't available for you? Suffering did so much to make you the well rounded person you show yourself to be? What?

It isn't meant for regular use, but for when condoms or the pill, or other methods are suspected to have failed (missed a day, condom broke, found a hole in the rubber cap). As for IUD, read up on that one, not so hot. There are shots that last for months, and a patch. A good trusting relationship with your doctor will lead to the most effective method of birth control, but when or if a method fails, the MAP is contraceptive, not abortive. Don't let anyone tell you different. One more thing, if you're a guy, wrap that rascal no matter what your partner says, and if there are condoms out there with a spermicide (minoxidil?), they would be the best ones because they guard (not 100%, but extra is extra) against some of the nasties as well.
If I were single and not in a committed relationship I'd have no problem using this as a fail safe for occasional casual sex...as it makes a lot more sense than being on the pill from a safety standpoint. We are allowed to have casual sex, right? And we are obligated to be responsible...I don't understand the meltdown over this pill, to be honest.

Ok, so you're a reformed hose bag. I had my first child at 26, and avoided pregnancy until then through birth control. What's your point? You could be a round-heels at thirteen and a seventeen year old shouldn't take advantage of new technology because it wasn't available for you? Suffering did so much to make you the well rounded person you show yourself to be? What?

I don't have people cleaning up my messes, and trying to justify my "oopsies" as living "gleefully".. I'd say I'm pretty well rounded, yeah. And suffering? LMAO. Sorry, toots. No suffering here. I just have a sense of right and wrong, and a strong sense of personal responsibility you and yours seem to be sadly lacking. I wouldn't brag too much about that if I were you.. For a teenager, it might look normal, but for a full fledged adult, it's damned scary.

Reformed hosebag? I said I lost my virginity at 13. I didn't say I lived the life of a tramp. But the fact that you're resorting to personal insults, and labeling that which you actually know nothing about speaks volumes. Do continue.

If I were single and not in a committed relationship I'd have no problem using this as a fail safe for occasional casual sex...as it makes a lot more sense than being on the pill from a safety standpoint. We are allowed to have casual sex, right? And we are obligated to be responsible...I don't understand the meltdown over this pill, to be honest.

If you read between the lines, you'll understand the meltdown perfectly well. It isn't about anything but making sure somebody (women mind you, men can [not that all do, but the option is open] skip) is punished, ostracized (along with the precious little bastards) shunned, and economically disadvantaged. That's it, no more, no less.

Forum List

Back