FDA OKs 'morning-after' pill for 17-year-olds

It isn't meant for regular use, but for when condoms or the pill, or other methods are suspected to have failed (missed a day, condom broke, found a hole in the rubber cap). As for IUD, read up on that one, not so hot. There are shots that last for months, and a patch. A good trusting relationship with your doctor will lead to the most effective method of birth control, but when or if a method fails, the MAP is contraceptive, not abortive. Don't let anyone tell you different. One more thing, if you're a guy, wrap that rascal no matter what your partner says, and if there are condoms out there with a spermicide (minoxidil?), they would be the best ones because they guard (not 100%, but extra is extra) against some of the nasties as well.
If I were single and not in a committed relationship I'd have no problem using this as a fail safe for occasional casual sex...as it makes a lot more sense than being on the pill from a safety standpoint. We are allowed to have casual sex, right? And we are obligated to be responsible...I don't understand the meltdown over this pill, to be honest.

If you read between the lines, you'll understand the meltdown perfectly well. It isn't about anything but making sure somebody (women mind you, men can [not that all do, but the option is open] skip) is punished, ostracized (along with the precious little bastards) shunned, and economically disadvantaged. That's it, no more, no less.
I have to reluctantly agree. I'd think women would be happy that there is another safe and effective way to prevent pregnancy.

You know.. I lost my virginity at 13. Yet, even at 13 I was well enough "educated" to know the possible consequences of my actions and took measures to ensure I wasn't a mother by the time I turned 14.

That's the difference between the right and left.. One tends to err on the side of caution, the other is out for a free for all, and let someone else fix it later. How selfish can you possibly be?

Ok, so you're a reformed hose bag. I had my first child at 26, and avoided pregnancy until then through birth control. What's your point? You could be a round-heels at thirteen and a seventeen year old shouldn't take advantage of new technology because it wasn't available for you? Suffering did so much to make you the well rounded person you show yourself to be? What?

I don't have people cleaning up my messes, and trying to justify my "oopsies" as living "gleefully".. I'd say I'm pretty well rounded, yeah. And suffering? LMAO. Sorry, toots. No suffering here. I just have a sense of right and wrong, and a strong sense of personal responsibility you and yours seem to be sadly lacking. I wouldn't brag too much about that if I were you.. For a teenager, it might look normal, but for a full fledged adult, it's damned scary.

Reformed hosebag? I said I lost my virginity at 13. I didn't say I lived the life of a tramp. But the fact that you're resorting to personal insults, and labeling that which you actually know nothing about speaks volumes. Do continue.

Oh, Marge. Did you not send me a message telling me to "dry up, bitch"? Have you not, through this entire exchange been as insinuating and subjective as possible?

As far as "labeling something I know nothing about," you've spent the morning doing just that. So listen up, practice what you preach, stop being such a tool, and oh, yeah,

if you can find a willing participant, get bent.

Last edited:
If I were single and not in a committed relationship I'd have no problem using this as a fail safe for occasional casual sex...as it makes a lot more sense than being on the pill from a safety standpoint. We are allowed to have casual sex, right? And we are obligated to be responsible...I don't understand the meltdown over this pill, to be honest.

I'd rely on condoms myself to avoid STDs but if STDs didn't exist I'd use that pill too. Before sex birth control pills seem to be less reliable and have more lasting side effects that this after sex birth control pill.

It still don't get why you'd want to inflict 30 days of pain on a teenager who, for whatever reason, used a pill as a last resort to avoid the possibility of eventually needing an abortion. Do you think a pill like that would be used much? How would your plan help reduce the number of abortions performed?

"...for whatever reason.."? :eusa_hand: Don't play obtuse. Headaches, queasy stomach, random vomiting.. Hardly anything that's going to cause death, but damn well makes them think about what they're doing next time.. Hell, it'll be just like morning sickness, only without the resulting life form. If that ain't enough of a wakeup call that you're playing an adult game, then I don't know what is.

Simply put, if you want to play like an adult, then act like an adult.
I'll have get back to you later, Clueless.

It still don't get why you'd want to inflict 30 days of pain on a teenager who, for whatever reason, used a pill as a last resort to avoid the possibility of eventually needing an abortion. Do you think a pill like that would be used much? How would your plan help reduce the number of abortions performed?

"...for whatever reason.."? :eusa_hand: Don't play obtuse. Headaches, queasy stomach, random vomiting.. Hardly anything that's going to cause death, but damn well makes them think about what they're doing next time.. Hell, it'll be just like morning sickness, only without the resulting life form. If that ain't enough of a wakeup call that you're playing an adult game, then I don't know what is.

Don't waste your time. You likely have nothing to say that hasn't been said before...

Odd, tho, that you're pro this kind of irresponsible shit, but damn the world if someone exercises their freedom to blow smoke into the air you breathe, hypocrite.

I'd rely on condoms myself to avoid STDs but if STDs didn't exist I'd use that pill too. Before sex birth control pills seem to be less reliable and have more lasting side effects that this after sex birth control pill.

That's because this "after sex birth control" pill isn't a birth control pill, it's an abortion pill.

BTW, condoms aren't any more effective preventing STDs than they are at preventing pregnancy, I imagine. And one of my 4 children is a condom child.

And funny... seems like things like Sudafed require ID, kids can't just go buy it... but a morning after pill is not??

Unlike Sudafed, the morning after pill cannot be used to manufacture crystal meth.

Neither can the amount of Sudafed on a pharmacy's shelf. Do you know the ridiculous quantities you need to make the smallest dose of it?

And for that, I have to spend 25 minutes giving my pharmacist my life story, fingerprints, and drivers license, as well as 6" off each leg every time I want a box.

Oh, and trust me.. If there's a way to get high off the MAP, a 17 year old is bound to find it.

Don't waste your time. You likely have nothing to say that hasn't been said before...

Odd, tho, that you're pro this kind of irresponsible shit, but damn the world if someone exercises their freedom to blow smoke into the air you breathe, hypocrite.

What is irresponsible about using birth control?

That's because this "after sex birth control" pill isn't a birth control pill, it's an abortion pill.

BTW, condoms aren't any more effective preventing STDs than they are at preventing pregnancy, I imagine. And one of my 4 children is a condom child.
Fix your quotes.

It isn't meant for regular use, but for when condoms or the pill, or other methods are suspected to have failed (missed a day, condom broke, found a hole in the rubber cap). As for IUD, read up on that one, not so hot. There are shots that last for months, and a patch. A good trusting relationship with your doctor will lead to the most effective method of birth control, but when or if a method fails, the MAP is contraceptive, not abortive. Don't let anyone tell you different. One more thing, if you're a guy, wrap that rascal no matter what your partner says, and if there are condoms out there with a spermicide (minoxidil?), they would be the best ones because they guard (not 100%, but extra is extra) against some of the nasties as well.

If you read between the lines, you'll understand the meltdown perfectly well. It isn't about anything but making sure somebody (women mind you, men can [not that all do, but the option is open] skip) is punished, ostracized (along with the precious little bastards) shunned, and economically disadvantaged. That's it, no more, no less.

Wow. Another lovely example of bigotry. And they say the right is rife with it.

I'm against abortion...but then, I don't think of babies as "precious little bastards" nor do I shun, punish, or ostracize people who have them...in or out of marriage. I leave that to the left. They're so much better at it than I am.

Elitist pig.

Absolute horseshit

Under 18 = minor.... there is NO WAY that this should be given to any minor without parental consent

I'm frankly not deeply excited about this being an OTC sale to start with. Regular birth control pills are not given without medical supervision, and I think it's a remarkably bad idea for women to be administering such high doses of hormones to themselves without it. That being said, I think it's a remarkably bad idea in spades for a minor to be administering high doses of hormones to themselves without either a doctor OR a parent knowing what's going on.

Nothing about Plan B has been a "scientific" decision. It's all been politically driven, and it's laughable for people at the FDA to try to pretend otherwise now.

No need to threaten me with violence, big guy. I'm not in the habit of deciding for others if they should give birth or not. Since the government is apparently no longer going to babysit your kids for you, you in all fairness should make this threat to anyone and everyone they know, including the clerks at the pharmacy where they might buy over the counter medication.

The "you" was a general statement to anyone... as in "you pay your money you take your chances" or other similar sayings... don't get your panties in a wad

If I would find a pharmacist or anyone else giving such a thing to my child or deciding medical decisions for her.. you bet your sweet ass that I would be all over them like stink on a monkey

But it sure seems like you are in the habit of taking the responsibility and decision making of my child away....

As stated... if you are an adult this is legal.. you are the person responsible for your decisions, whether I agree with it or not.... a minor is not an adult and a parent or guardian is the person responsible for the care and decision making for that child's future and well being...

I did not argue the legality of this when the limit was at 18 (legal age).... you put this down to minors, and that is where I draw the line...

Hold on to you nickers, Dave, but at the age of sixteen (maybe earlier) young adults are protected by HIPPA laws. You can't even get permission to be notified by a health care provider without your child's consent. Yup, that's right, even if you're responsible for the bill and under your insurance. It is what it is, and what it is is the law. That communication thingy might be worth a shot...:eusa_whistle:

Not quite, Barb. HIPAA privacy laws specify that if a person can make a medical decision for himself, then he controls the information regarding that decision. If, on the other hand, that person needs parental or guardian consent for a medical procedure, that parent or guardian controls the information about it. Also, HIPAA defers to state law on when a child takes control of his medical decisions and information, so long as the state law is very clear on the subject.

So no, in most states, a child cannot keep medical information from his parents, except in cases like HIV testing, etc., which have their own special laws.

Wow. Another lovely example of bigotry. And they say the right is rife with it.

I'm against abortion...but then, I don't think of babies as "precious little bastards" nor do I shun, punish, or ostracize people who have them...in or out of marriage. I leave that to the left. They're so much better at it than I am.

Elitist pig.

I'm not an elitist, bonehead, I'm one of the precious little bastards of which I speak.

The morning after pill is NO MORE an abortion pill than Birth Control pills are an abortion pill...

the morning after pill IS NOT RU 486 Allie?

Care

Forum List

Back