FDA OKs 'morning-after' pill for 17-year-olds

This was not a political decision. This came from a court decision. And it has been decided that it is completely safe for a 17 year old to take the morning after pill.

No brainer.

One step closer the Shogun's Great Abortion Compromise.

I know you totally disagree... which is why I say you are totally wrong

Birth control pills (medicine), morning after pills (also medicine/ingested) are different than a penis wrap... just as the condom is about the interaction of 2 lives, whereas a morning after pill now involves the spark of life in a fertilized egg and a decision for a MINOR that is much more than just STD or the decision to have sex....

You as an adult wish to use this, that is legally OK... but a minor is under the guardianship of the parent.... medical and moral decisions for that minor are the responsibility of that parent....

You so much as give one of my kids one smidgen of medicine without my approval or knowledge, and I'll either beat your ass within an inch of your life, or I will have the law down on you faster than the speed of light
No need to threaten me with violence, big guy. I'm not in the habit of deciding for others if they should give birth or not. Since the government is apparently no longer going to babysit your kids for you, you in all fairness should make this threat to anyone and everyone they know, including the clerks at the pharmacy where they might buy over the counter medication.

The "you" was a general statement to anyone... as in "you pay your money you take your chances" or other similar sayings... don't get your panties in a wad

If I would find a pharmacist or anyone else giving such a thing to my child or deciding medical decisions for her.. you bet your sweet ass that I would be all over them like stink on a monkey

But it sure seems like you are in the habit of taking the responsibility and decision making of my child away....

As stated... if you are an adult this is legal.. you are the person responsible for your decisions, whether I agree with it or not.... a minor is not an adult and a parent or guardian is the person responsible for the care and decision making for that child's future and well being...

I did not argue the legality of this when the limit was at 18 (legal age).... you put this down to minors, and that is where I draw the line...

Hold on to you nickers, Dave, but at the age of sixteen (maybe earlier) young adults are protected by HIPPA laws. You can't even get permission to be notified by a health care provider without your child's consent. Yup, that's right, even if you're responsible for the bill and under your insurance. It is what it is, and what it is is the law. That communication thingy might be worth a shot...:eusa_whistle:

Yet by the same token that child can't even bring an Ibuprofen to school with them. You are trying to eat your cake and have it too.

The pill prevents conception, even the most strict pro-lifers hold that life begins at conception and not before. Ergo this is not an abortion issue.

Age of consent is 16, there are already too many unwanted pregnancies in this country (world wide for that matter). I honestly fail to see the problem.

Interesting point.

Is the moment of conception when sperm meets egg, or when the now fertilized egg attaches to the womb?

Most fertilized eggs, I'm informed, never make the attachment to begin development.

Yet by the same token that child can't even bring an Ibuprofen to school with them. You are trying to eat your cake and have it too.

Moi? I'm not trying to "have" or "eat" anything of the kind. It is the law. The schools don't have rules and regulations of this sort to protect your children or mine. It's all about liability.

I'm all for women and girls have choices and options. I think it's really sad if there's a huge disconnect between a girl and her parents but it DOES happen, and they still need to take care of themselves.

I'm all for women and girls have choices and options. I think it's really sad if there's a huge disconnect between a girl and her parents but it DOES happen, and they still need to take care of themselves.

They do Amanda. A life sentence shouldn't be handed out as punishment for a gleefully misspent youth. Hell, a kid could grow up, if she's (or he's) allowed, and make a great parent someday, when they're ready.:clap2:

This was not a political decision. This came from a court decision. And it has been decided that it is completely safe for a 17 year old to take the morning after pill.

No brainer.

I think the morning after pill, when being used as an "oops" buffer, ought to come laden with quite a few very unpleasant side effects lasting approx. 30 days.

That'll teach people.

They do Amanda. A life sentence shouldn't be handed out as punishment for a gleefully misspent youth. Hell, a kid could grow up, if she's (or he's) allowed, and make a great parent someday, when they're ready.:clap2:

Gleefully misspent? Is that what we're calling totally irresponsible behavior that needs to have more severe consequences now?

Gleefully misspent? Is that what we're calling totally irresponsible behavior that needs to have more severe consequences now?

How about reform school? public thrashings? stocks and pillories? thumbscrews?

By the way, were you ever young?

I think the morning after pill, when being used as an "oops" buffer, ought to come laden with quite a few very unpleasant side effects lasting approx. 30 days.

That'll teach people.

You mean that'll teach women. Men aren't going to feel those side effects.

Your proposition is stupid anyway. What woman would take the pill if the side effects were that severe and purposely designed to punish her. Women would go back to what they do now, have abortions or unwanted babies.

Yeah, actually I was young.. And I managed to get through it without going to jail, getting pregnant, skirting responsibility for my actions, and blaming everyone else for my problems.

How ever did I manage? :eusa_whistle:

Yes.

A 17-year old of today has more information and knowledge about the world and themselves than a 35 year old during the 1980s would have had.

I think they should lower it to 15 to be honest. Who is a parent to say that a 15-year old must stay pregnant and deliver a baby?

A 17 year old today is often more a child than a 13 year old 200 years ago, and is more incompetent at decision making than ever before.

Yes.

A 17-year old of today has more information and knowledge about the world and themselves than a 35 year old during the 1980s would have had.

I think they should lower it to 15 to be honest. Who is a parent to say that a 15-year old must stay pregnant and deliver a baby?

A 17 year old today is often more a child than a 13 year old 200 years ago, and is more incompetent at decision making than ever before.

What planet are you from?

Yeah, actually I was young.. And I managed to get through it without going to jail, getting pregnant, skirting responsibility for my actions, and blaming everyone else for my problems.

Same here and yet I did not grow up to be so radically anti choice as to wish 30 days of pain on 17 year old girls who take a pill which prevents the need for abortions.
You'd think that someone who is so opposed to abortion would be glad that this last chance now exists. The more I read posts like yours, the more I am inclined to believe that some anti choicers care less about protecting future life than they do about hating on women who enjoy sex.

Same here and yet I did not grow up to be so radically anti choice as to wish 30 days of pain on 17 year old girls who take a pill which prevents the need for abortions.
You'd think that someone who is so opposed to abortion would be glad that this last chance now exists. The more I read posts like yours, the more I am inclined to believe that some anti choicers care less about protecting future life than they do about hating on women who enjoy sex.

You're dumber than a brick, woman. If a 17 year old is old enough to have sex, she's damned well old enough to protect herself prior to having it. And if she's *that* sexually active at 17, and her parents haven't done anything on their end such as getting her on birth control, then there's something wrong at THAT level, too.

That particular pill should be used only in the case of rape, and distributed only by a doctor. Not flung about like candy at a parade.

You're dumber than a brick, woman. If a 17 year old is old enough to have sex, she's damned well old enough to protect herself prior to having it. And if she's *that* sexually active at 17, and her parents haven't done anything on their end such as getting her on birth control, then there's something wrong at THAT level, too.

That particular pill should be used only in the case of rape, and distributed only by a doctor. Not flung about like candy at a parade.

Who's flinging it at what parade?

!7 year olds are not robots.

I suppose you never gave in to passion and learned from the experience. Maybe your second childhood will be more fun.

Who's flinging it at what parade?

!7 year olds are not robots.

I suppose you never gave in to passion and learned from the experience. Maybe your second childhood will be more fun.

If you're asking if I've taken responsibility for all of my mistakes, the answer is yes.

Guess I just grew up differently than you. Oh, woe is me. So sorry I don't have the "Make a life, oops, wait, no, stop a life" mentality.

Like I said.. If you're ready for one, you're ready for the other. It's called being an adult.

Forum List

Back