FCC warns consumers about new 'Yes' phone scam

Marion Morrison

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2017
Be careful about picking the phone up and talking to strangers, it could be dangerous.

"
According to the FCC, the scam begins as soon as a person answers the phone. A recorded voice or an actual person asks: "Can you hear me?" And the consumer responds, "Yes."

"The caller then records the consumer's 'Yes' response and thus obtains a voice signature. This signature can later be used by the scammers to pretend to be the consumer and authorize fraudulent charges via telephone," an FCC news release said."

I don't answer the phone unless I know who it is

If it's important they'll leave a message

Caller ID is your friend

i get that type of robo call all the time, in various forms...

i'd love to be a fly on the wall when the culprits hear what words i've inserted during those recorded moments. :wink_2:

today i already got 2 calls on 2 different lines from the one where the lady voice pretends to be adjusting her headset.

i listen to the entire spiel about a fabulous vacation then i go all tourettes at the end so she keeps asking me the same question.

good times. :lol:

today i already got 2 calls on 2 different lines from the one where the lady voice pretends to be adjusting her headset.

i listen to the entire spiel about a fabulous vacation then i go all tourettes at the end so she keeps asking me the same question.

you get that lady too?.....then there is the indian guy who says his name is jeff and there is a problem with your computer.....get that a lot too...

^^^ Sometimes no difference is made. My number is supposed to be unlisted, but I still get calls from those who are not supposed to have access to my number. Lately I have actually been getting calls from a person(s) claiming to be St. Jude Children's Research Hospital because that is what comes up on the caller ID, but the area code says 423. If it was really a number for St. Jude, the number would have the Memphis area code instead which is 901 and so I have not been answering it.

God bless you and everyone at St. Jude always!!!

Holly

P.S. 423 is the area code that I have.

you get that lady too?.....then there is the indian guy who says his name is jeff and there is a problem with your computer.....get that a lot too...

That's the Indian fake Windows support scam.

Never let them connect to your computer. I did once, just to see what they'd do.

He deleted my Program Files folder, then tried to bully me into giving him a CC# to get him to put it back.

I told him GFY you untouchable filth!

(It was a blank OS I concocted just to fuck with them)

Nothing but Windows and wireshark.

But yeah, don't play around with those peckerheads like I do, they're actually pretty dangerous.

Be careful about picking the phone up and talking to strangers, it could be dangerous.

"
According to the FCC, the scam begins as soon as a person answers the phone. A recorded voice or an actual person asks: "Can you hear me?" And the consumer responds, "Yes."

"The caller then records the consumer's 'Yes' response and thus obtains a voice signature. This signature can later be used by the scammers to pretend to be the consumer and authorize fraudulent charges via telephone," an FCC news release said."

I like to answer the phone with a recording of Tom petty's "Don't come around here no more!" I am one of the few safe people!

On the theory that someone with a head set will pick up a line if the consumer falls for the call, I've always thought that blowing a police whistle as loud as you can when the robot asks a question and records an answer is a good way to handle it.

"

This signature can later be used by the scammers to pretend to be the consumer and authorize fraudulent charges via telephone," an FCC news release said."

I hope they don't send me something and try to get paid for it.
They'll never get their stuff back and any charge WILL be reversed.

Watch out who you answer the phone for.
I answer all my calls. I just never say "yes". I once wasted about 5 minutes of a scam caller's time by never saying yes to any question she asked. You can always tell when they call.

"This is Mary on a recorded line...can you hear me okay?"

I can hear you, Mary.

"Is your address 3654 Easy Street?"

That is my address, Mary.

"Would you like to save 75% on prescription drugs?"

Who doesn't like to save money, Mary.

"Are you a smoker?"

No.

.......(on and on)

"Would you like to sign up for our guaranteed 75% savings program?"

I'm sorry, Mary...I cu*t hear you. I have an infuction in my ear.

CLICK

Whatever happened to the do not call list?
Sheeiiiiiit! You gotta be kidding!

I now block numbers from solicitation calls, but they have many lines...so I sometimes block whole area codes. If they coincide with any of my contact's area codes, I block the area code and the first 3 following digits.

Once, but only for a week...I blocked all 800 numbers. I get some legitimate calls from 800 numbers.

That's the Indian fake Windows support scam.

I've gotten that one. I kept some woman on the phone for like 20 minutes acting like I was totally dumb until she finally figured out I was playing her then she got pissed.

If I have time, I have it all set up for them.

Let them connect, my desktop is a big hamburger with "Beef, it's what's for dinner" slogan.

Then I open up a Notepad and start typing the trolly things. :D

I.E. "You untouchable Filth"

Oops, can't post that one, nm.

Wireshark running, then I call their ISP.

Forum List

Back