FBI Reports Lowest US Violent Crime Rates Since 1978

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Violent crime in the United States continued to drop in 2013, reaching its lowest rate since the late 1970s.

The FBI's Uniform Crime Report revealed that 1.16 million violent crimes were committed last year, which is the lowest number on record since 1978 when 1.09 million crimes were recorded.
According to the FBI, violent crime, including murders and property offenses, fell at about the same rate last year, slightly above 4 percent.

The crime rate has fallen every year on record since 1994, while 2013 rate was around 50 percent less than the number in 1994.

Read more: http://www.latinpost.com/articles/25616/20141111/fbi-reports-lowest-violent-crime-rates-1978-increased-number-camera.htm#ixzz3JGBUyJmC

The article points to video camera...and that may be a factor, but the correlation left leaning media will never point out...

Rtc2.gif

Not only did conceal carry not lead to higher violent crime rates, as it's critics predicted, it seems to have at a minimum, contributed to the lowest violent crime rates in 35 years.​

Violent crime in the United States continued to drop in 2013, reaching its lowest rate since the late 1970s.

The FBI's Uniform Crime Report revealed that 1.16 million violent crimes were committed last year, which is the lowest number on record since 1978 when 1.09 million crimes were recorded.
According to the FBI, violent crime, including murders and property offenses, fell at about the same rate last year, slightly above 4 percent.

The crime rate has fallen every year on record since 1994, while 2013 rate was around 50 percent less than the number in 1994.

Read more: http://www.latinpost.com/articles/25616/20141111/fbi-reports-lowest-violent-crime-rates-1978-increased-number-camera.htm#ixzz3JGBUyJmC

The article points to video camera...and that may be a factor, but the correlation left leaning media will never point out...

Rtc2.gif

Not only did conceal carry not lead to higher violent crime rates, as it's critics predicted, it seems to have at a minimum, contributed to the lowest violent crime rates in 35 years.​

Oh then Obama's policies must have also, at a minimum, contributed to the lowest violent crime rates in 35 years. :laugh:

Rtc2.gif

Oh then Obama's policies must have also, at a minimum, contributed to the lowest violent crime rates in 35 years. :laugh:

Had the trend started with Obama, I'd give him credit.

I'll give Bill Clinton and his congress some backhanded credit, his assault weapon ban motivated a lot of citizens to concentrate on the importance of run rights...

Obama's policies opposed Heller and sold illegal guns to Mexican Cartels and got a border agent killed and a few others that we know of...but at least he hasn't reversed victories like he did in Iraq...hurray :neutral:

Last edited:
Except that the crime rate has fallen in all countries whether they have open carry laws or not.
For most of the 20th Century crime rose and rose and rose. Every time a new home secretary took office in the UK - or their equivalents in justice and interior ministries elsewhere - officials would show them graphs and mumble apologetically that there was nothing they could do to stop crime rising.

Then, about 20 years ago, the trend reversed - and all the broad measures of key crimes have been falling ever since.

Offending has fallen in nations whose governments have implemented completely different policies to their neighbours.

<snip>

Wolpaw-Reyes gathered lead data from each state, including figures for gasoline sales. She plotted the crime rates in each area and then used common statistical techniques to exclude other factors that could cause crime. Her results backed the lead-crime hypothesis.

"There is a substantial causal relationship," she says. "I can see it in the state-to-state variations. States that experienced particularly early or particularly sharp declines in lead experienced particularly early or particularly sharp declines in violent crime 20 years later."

_74298891_lead_crime_gra624.gif
BBC News - Did removing lead from petrol spark a decline in crime

But, I believe that's a bullshit theory.
I reckon it has more to do with the rise of colour televisions.
The number of color television sets sold in the U.S. did not exceed black-and-white sales until 1972, which was also the first year that more than fifty percent of television households in the U.S. had a color set.
Color television - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Except that the crime rate has fallen in all countries whether they have open carry laws or not.
For most of the 20th Century crime rose and rose and rose. Every time a new home secretary took office in the UK - or their equivalents in justice and interior ministries elsewhere - officials would show them graphs and mumble apologetically that there was nothing they could do to stop crime rising.

Then, about 20 years ago, the trend reversed - and all the broad measures of key crimes have been falling ever since.

Offending has fallen in nations whose governments have implemented completely different policies to their neighbours.

<snip>

Wolpaw-Reyes gathered lead data from each state, including figures for gasoline sales. She plotted the crime rates in each area and then used common statistical techniques to exclude other factors that could cause crime. Her results backed the lead-crime hypothesis.

"There is a substantial causal relationship," she says. "I can see it in the state-to-state variations. States that experienced particularly early or particularly sharp declines in lead experienced particularly early or particularly sharp declines in violent crime 20 years later."

The number of color television sets sold in the U.S. did not exceed black-and-white sales until 1972, which was also the first year that more than fifty percent of television households in the U.S. had a color set.

I'm afraid you have been mislead...

Zebra16_zps84ba1c80.png

Obama's policies opposed Heller and sold illegal guns to Mexican Cartels and got a border agent killed and a few others that we know of...but at least he hasn't reversed victories like he did in Iraq...hurray :neutral:

Actually, obama and holder are responsible for the death of about 300 Mexican citizens because they forced American gun stores to sell guns to drug cartel straw purchasers...and some of those guns are still killing people...they also sold grenades to those drug cartels....

<snip>

Zebra16_zps84ba1c80.png
Damned statistics eh?

Crime has been recorded in England and
Wales for over 100 years and, necessarily,
there have been changes to recording
practices over that time. Two key changes in
how crime is recorded are relevant to this
report. The first took place in the same year
that the Crime and Disorder Act was
introduced - in 1998. The second was the
introduction of the National Crime
Recording Standard in April 2002.
New Counting Rules, April 1998
Changes to the Home Office Counting Rules
for recorded crime took effect on 1 April
1998. The changes concerned the recording
of multiple victims (to one crime per victim)
and added a number of new offences1. These
changes had the effect of increasing the
number of crimes counted. Numbers of
offences for years before and after this date
are therefore not directly comparable.
Under the new coverage rules (post 1 April
1998) the greatest impact was within the
following offence headings (in rank order):
drugs, violence against the person, fraud and
forgery, other offences and criminal damage.
http://www.leics.gov.uk/melt_5.2_changes.pdf
I note that the huge 'increase' in violent crime in your graph occurred at EXACTLY the same time as the change in crime recording...not approximately the same time as the Firearms Act.

<snip>

Zebra16_zps84ba1c80.png
Damned statistics eh?

I note that the huge 'increase' in violent crime in your graph occurred at EXACTLY the same time as the change in crime recording...not approximately the same time as the Firearms Act.

That line of reasoning doesn't fly...if that were correct, the stats would jump in 1998, then plateau. That did not occur. they increase dramatically year after year through 2006.

Nice try though.

<snip>

Zebra16_zps84ba1c80.png
Damned statistics eh?

That line of reasoning doesn't fly...if that were correct, the stats would jump in 1998, then plateau. That did not occur. they increase dramatically year after year through 2006.

Nice try though.
You missed my point.
Statistics can be made to say anything you want.
Your point (if I understood correctly) was that the increase in violent crime was caused by the Firearms Act.
I'm saying that there are plenty of other correlations that can be found...hence my point about colour televisions earlier on.
Without drilling more into it there could be any number of reasons why the rates appear to rise...it might be something as simple as the staff getting used to the new reporting system for example.

<snip>

Zebra16_zps84ba1c80.png
Damned statistics eh?

Nice try though.
You missed my point.
Your point (if I understood correctly) was that the increase in violent crime was caused by the Firearms Act.
I'm saying that there are plenty of other correlations that can be found...hence my point about colour televisions earlier on.
Without drilling more into it there could be any number of reasons why the rates appear to rise...it might be something as simple as the staff getting used to the new reporting system for example.

You went too far out on that limb & it snapped.

Chicago Gun Ban Overturned 2014

chicago_violence_2014_hero_v4x3_4x3_992.jpg
When does the 2014 statistical year end?

It ends in 45 days. Those Chicago thugs had best step up their killing, or they will make Rahm Emanuel & the gun grabbers look bad.
You're right...not long.
Who knows what the statistics might say at the end of that time.
The Three-Year Plunge
To help gauge each city’s overall crime level, the FBI tracks eight “index crimes.” From 1993 to 2010, Chicago’s annual total dropped by 47 percent. But from 2010 to 2013, it dropped a stunning 56 percent, or nearly 19 percent per year, according to data from the Chicago Police Department.

Garry McCarthy, who became police chief in May 2011, accomplished that huge reduction in part by changing how certain crimes are categorized.
The Truth About Chicago s Crime Rates Chicago magazine May 2014

Rtc2.gif

Dem policies in general; as abortions went up, crime went down.

Says you

Zebra16_zps84ba1c80.png
Damned statistics eh?

Nice try though.
You missed my point.

Says you.
You do know that the reporting methods were changed again in 2008 don't you?

Says you

Zebra16_zps84ba1c80.png
Damned statistics eh?

Nice try though.
You missed my point.

Says you.
You do know that the reporting methods were changed again in 2008 don't you?
It is all in who is doing the counting.

because that would be a made up correlation for which there is no evidence.

if your assertion were true, the red states wouldn't be the most dangerous states.

America 8217 s Most and Least Peaceful States - 24 7 Wall St.

because that would be a made up correlation for which there is no evidence.

if your assertion were true, the red states wouldn't be the most dangerous states.

America 8217 s Most and Least Peaceful States - 24 7 Wall St.

Those aren't Red States, those are the Blackest and Brownest states.

It is as obvious as the correlation between declining crime and abortion.

Forum List

Back