Favorite Talk Radio Shows

House

Opinionated Ass
Nov 1, 2012
I got hooked on talk radio back in '05, listening to the Third Shift Free For All during my driving shifts (I prefer to drive at night, less traffic means less idiots to deal with). Unfortunately, they're no longer on the air (damned shame, they were awesome), but I've found some others that keep my attention more often than not.

• Steele & Ungar: (SiriusXM/POTUS) Michael Steele is a conservative, Rick Ungar is a liberal. They debate the politics of the day. Although one might expect frequent contention, the duo are quite affable. The call in guests also seem to be fairly well informed; the call screener must be quite effective.
  • Michael Smirconish: (SiriusXM/POTUS) Independent talk show host that does a fairly good job providing contrast to his talking points. TC (his producer/co-host) is quite the sweetheart.
  • Morning Mash Up: (SiriusXM/Hits 1)Rich, Nicole, Ryan, and Stan provide some lighthearted talk to wake up to.

Are there any other good talk radio shows out there?

There are no such talk shows where I live. I have kind of forgotten the power of AM-politico shows.

I hate AM radio, besides it'd be useless to me as a truck driver.

Sirius/XM satellite radio reaches me no matter where I am in the country.

There are no such talk shows where I live. I have kind of forgotten the power of AM-politico shows.

I hate AM radio, besides it'd be useless to me as a truck driver.

Sirius/XM satellite radio reaches me no matter where I am in the country.

I've never heard political talk shows in Germany.

There are a number of very serious political talk shows on German TV, however.

I got hooked on talk radio back in '05, listening to the Third Shift Free For All during my driving shifts (I prefer to drive at night, less traffic means less idiots to deal with). Unfortunately, they're no longer on the air (damned shame, they were awesome), but I've found some others that keep my attention more often than not.

• Steele & Ungar: (SiriusXM/POTUS) Michael Steele is a conservative, Rick Ungar is a liberal. They debate the politics of the day. Although one might expect frequent contention, the duo are quite affable. The call in guests also seem to be fairly well informed; the call screener must be quite effective.
  • Michael Smirconish: (SiriusXM/POTUS) Independent talk show host that does a fairly good job providing contrast to his talking points. TC (his producer/co-host) is quite the sweetheart.
  • Morning Mash Up: (SiriusXM/Hits 1)Rich, Nicole, Ryan, and Stan provide some lighthearted talk to wake up to.

There used to be a great talk show in Denver, Caplis (Conservative) & Silverman (Liberal) - same as you described Steel & Ungar. They got along great, very civil, and very interesting. They would often actually arrive at real ideas that incorporated priorities from both sides.

Imagine that, real ideas with priorities from both sides. Go figure.

Of course, neither had campaign contributors to bend over for.

I get some really good talkers on my old Grundig. Its all I have in the middle of nowhere.

Been meaning to upgrade to a CC but I do love this old beast of a radio.

A trucker eh? My dad called his rig Thunder and night was his time. Now I don't know the new networks but on AM I can pick up two of my favorites guys on Red Eye out of WLS in Chicago.

An FYI for those that don't know radio. I can pick up signals from as far away as Chicago and Colorado.

Red Eye is a trucker show beyond.

Boy I haven't heard Michael in years. He's awesome. You can tell me if he's still doing it but he had the most unique way of tackling a topic. He'd come at it full boar and almost perform an autopsy on it and then and only then he'd offer his take on it.

I loved him to death. Great talker.

Coast to Coast. Well there's a story there but don't want to scare anyone tonight.

Gunny Bob if I could ever find him again. He was amazing. I don't know what you can get but I know talkers coast to coast.

Last edited:
From Noon till 3 PM it's El Rushbo for politics
From 3 PM till 7 PM it's Michael Kay on ESPN for sports
And when the mood strikes me It's the Ron and Fez show on Sirius/XM for laughs.

Michael Smirconish is a good one. i listen that that one a lot. Not much else is worth tuning into anymore.

I actually lean more towards Steele & Ungar than Smirconish, simply because of the better call screening.

The show quality of the hosts are fairly equal, but the Smirconish show will put any idiot on the air that knows how to dial the phone, while S&U seems to actually filter their calls to keep the nonsense down.

Boy I haven't heard Michael in years. He's awesome. You can tell me if he's still doing it but he had the most unique way of tackling a topic. He'd come at it full boar and almost perform an autopsy on it and then and only then he'd offer his take on it.

I loved him to death. Great talker.

Indeed, I haven't heard many in the media that worked as diligently to keep an objective view on very politically biased issues.

If it weren't for the mouth breathing burnouts they frequently allow on the air, he'd easily be my favorite simply because Steele & Ungar are a 1x/week broadcast.

The only one I listen to regularly is Mark Levin.

I ran across Mark Levin's show this morning, and if he's always as angry and blustery as he was today I'm just too old for that kind of show.

My body is too broken down to be able to deal with external stressors & excessive anger, so angry politics & "hellfire & brimstone" sermonizing are off the table.

There used to be a great talk show in Denver, Caplis (Conservative) & Silverman (Liberal) - same as you described Steel & Ungar. They got along great, very civil, and very interesting. They would often actually arrive at real ideas that incorporated priorities from both sides.

Imagine that, real ideas with priorities from both sides. Go figure.

Of course, neither had campaign contributors to bend over for.

The bolded, in green: outstanding.

I ran across Mark Levin's show this morning, and if he's always as angry and blustery as he was today I'm just too old for that kind of show.

My body is too broken down to be able to deal with external stressors & excessive anger, so angry politics & "hellfire & brimstone" sermonizing are off the table.

This may interest you:

more than one study has proven that extreme emotions actually shut-off a number of higher brain-functions. In fact, NLP is based on the premise of doing something practical and not feeling something impractical.

It's also why certain crimes are called "crimes of passion", not "crimes of logic".

Often, these whacky commentators, BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT, get so emotionally involved in what they are doing that they start making up shit and leave the land of reality for the land of pretty unicorns. Of course, those kind of commentators and politicians are every fact-checker's dream.

Far better it is to present and issue an look at the many possible sides. We have become such a red-blue nation that we forget that for many problems, there are usually more than just two answers.

On a side-note, my written English is terrible today, I have had to correct at least 10 errors in this posting alone. It was a long work week in three foreign languages..... ughhhhh....

Far better it is to present and issue an look at the many possible sides. We have become such a red-blue nation that we forget that for many problems, there are usually more than just two answers.

Can't agree more.

Yeah, I usually turn him off when he gets like that.

XM's C-Span radio will carry all the TV political shows today at Noon Eastern...they rebroadcast Meet the Press, ABCs This Week, Fox News Sunday, CNNs State of the Union and CBSs Face the Nation commercial free every Sunday.

C-SPAN - Hearings Meetings US Policy Shaping Events - SiriusXM Radio Channel 120

I listen to Joyce Riley at the Power Hour and Beth Ann at CSC Talk Radio more than anyone else.

Roger Hedgcock here in San Diego, John and ken on KFI in Los Angeles very strong station, can pick it up here. The fabulous Lisa Ann Walters show on the weekends, the tech guy Leo Lapore

Levin is worth listening to when it comes to anything to do with the Constitution or the Supreme Court. He's a genius. Levin's creds are impeccable when it comes to the law. He's a prolific author. Men in Black is worth the read.

Mark does my screaming for me. :lol: Very dry wit and he's not always on a rant 24/7.

When "Mr. Producer" lets a liberal thru on the line. Levin turns political radio into pure gold.

"Get off the phone you big dope!".is a classic.

His passion apart from politics has been rescue dogs. Best seller "Rescuing Sprite". A dog lovers story of Joy and Anguish has helped a lot of people including myself dealing with the loss of a long time 4 legged companion.
9781439165430_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

Last edited:
Levin is interesting but way too caustic and jittery. Awful voice and delivery.

Forum List

Back