Favorite and/or Best War Movies

Stryder50

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2021
Lynden, WA, USA
Will lead off with this offer from an "other" as to best 50 War Movies;
EXCERPT:

Best war movies of all time​

Here's the thing about war: it's always been around. Historians believe the first war took place in Mesopotamia in 2,700 B.C. In fact, of the past 3,400 years, humans have been at peace for only 268.

This is all to say that for millennia, there has been a fascination with war—both the waging of it and the recounting of its stories. Since the start of civilization, people have engaged in war and recounted conflicts through oral, visual, and written storytelling. The 20th century saw this type of storytelling evolve into motion pictures. In fact, one of the earliest films ever made, 1915’s “Birth of a Nation,” was about the Civil War and subsequent Reconstruction. Even before making that controversial film, director D.W. Griffith had made numerous one-reelers centered on the events of the Civil War.

While some war films emphasize the inhumanity of battle, others focus on the valiant heroes carrying out their patriotic duties. There are also films that take another approach by focusing on how war can influence the lives of civilians or soldiers who’ve returned home. When taken as a whole, the genre leaves no psychological or physical stone unturned. In other words, if it’s been done in battle, it’s probably been reproduced on screen.

Stacker compiled data on all war movies to come up with a Stacker score—a weighted index split evenly between IMDb and Metacritic scores. To qualify, the film had to be listed as “war” on IMDb, have a Metascore, and have at least 2,500 votes. Ties were broken by Metascore, and further ties were broken by IMDb user rating. Every film on the list has been considered according to the cinematic history and development of the genre. Click through to see which films made the cut.

Will lead off with this offer from an "other" as to best 50 War Movies;
EXCERPT:

Best war movies of all time​

Here's the thing about war: it's always been around. Historians believe the first war took place in Mesopotamia in 2,700 B.C. In fact, of the past 3,400 years, humans have been at peace for only 268.

This is all to say that for millennia, there has been a fascination with war—both the waging of it and the recounting of its stories. Since the start of civilization, people have engaged in war and recounted conflicts through oral, visual, and written storytelling. The 20th century saw this type of storytelling evolve into motion pictures. In fact, one of the earliest films ever made, 1915’s “Birth of a Nation,” was about the Civil War and subsequent Reconstruction. Even before making that controversial film, director D.W. Griffith had made numerous one-reelers centered on the events of the Civil War.

While some war films emphasize the inhumanity of battle, others focus on the valiant heroes carrying out their patriotic duties. There are also films that take another approach by focusing on how war can influence the lives of civilians or soldiers who’ve returned home. When taken as a whole, the genre leaves no psychological or physical stone unturned. In other words, if it’s been done in battle, it’s probably been reproduced on screen.

Stacker compiled data on all war movies to come up with a Stacker score—a weighted index split evenly between IMDb and Metacritic scores. To qualify, the film had to be listed as “war” on IMDb, have a Metascore, and have at least 2,500 votes. Ties were broken by Metascore, and further ties were broken by IMDb user rating. Every film on the list has been considered according to the cinematic history and development of the genre. Click through to see which films made the cut.

Quite the list to choose from on the war movies. It probably wouldn't be called a war movie since only part of it was set on a battlefield but the opening scene in Gladiator is probably one of the best openers ever--Private Ryan is just as good if not better.

I'll give you a few that I think are on the short list of "the best"...

1. Stalag 17 was excellent. William Holden, in my view, never got the credit he deserved as an actor.
  2. Saving Private Ryan. I loved the pace of the movie. The stunning visuals were on the screen at just the right times.
  3. 1917. There is something about a Sam Mendes directed movie that scratches an itch like few others
  4. Bridge on the River Kwai. Another Holden project that looked at war from a different point of view
  5. Apocalypse Now was a good movie that was set in a war...but it didn't have much do do with war in my view.

Never saw most of them, and quote a few aren't really war movies, like African Queen; they're just chic flick tear jerkers set during a war.

The Sands of Iwo Jima with Duke Wayne as Sgt. Stryker. The Bridges at Toko Ri, probably the best Korean War movie starring Glenn Ford. We were Soldiers for the best of Vietnam.

The Sands of Iwo Jima with Duke Wayne as Sgt. Stryker. The Bridges at Toko Ri, probably the best Korean War movie starring Glenn Ford. We were Soldiers for the best of Vietnam.

Vietnam gets "The Boys from Company C". Watch it, it's an often overlooked classic.

1917: Great story overall, enhanced by a very innovative filming technique.

Hacksaw Ridge: Yeah, gory as hell, but nowhere near a savage as the real island hopping Pacific Theater was. The true story of a great American war hero.

Lawrence of Arabia: My personal favorite move of all time. You want to know why the middle east is as fucked up as it is, watch this movie.

Kelly's Heroes: Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning.

Galipoli: Seriously underrated WWI flick

Lawrence of Arabia: My personal favorite move of all time. You want to know why the middle east is as fucked up as it is, watch this movie.

Saw that on a big screen in 70 mm several times. Great film. One of my favorite Anthony Quinn roles in that movie.

Glenn Ford was NOT in the The Bridges at Toko-Ri. William Holden played the main character.

I liked "We Were Soldiers" because it was the first movie I had ever seen that captured the metallic "clink" sound of the M-16.

You made all good choices!

Quite the list to choose from on the war movies. It probably wouldn't be called a war movie since only part of it was set on a battlefield but the opening scene in Gladiator is probably one of the best openers ever--Private Ryan is just as good if not better.

I'll give you a few that I think are on the short list of "the best"...

1. Stalag 17 was excellent. William Holden, in my view, never got the credit he deserved as an actor.
  2. Saving Private Ryan. I loved the pace of the movie. The stunning visuals were on the screen at just the right times.
  3. 1917. There is something about a Sam Mendes directed movie that scratches an itch like few others
  4. Bridge on the River Kwai. Another Holden project that looked at war from a different point of view
  5. Apocalypse Now was a good movie that was set in a war...but it didn't have much do do with war in my view.
If these weren't already on the list of 50 in the OP, I'd ask for links to such.
As it is, they are better than some of the other one's the author of the linked OP provided.

1917: Great story overall, enhanced by a very innovative filming technique.

Hacksaw Ridge: Yeah, gory as hell, but nowhere near a savage as the real island hopping Pacific Theater was. The true story of a great American war hero.

Kelly's Heroes: Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning.

Galipoli: Seriously underrated WWI flick
Sound like a few better contenders than the "List of 50" in the OP; would appreciate a few links~URLs for ready reference ...

Not sure which of those in the OP~"50" I'd bump, but I think the following would be better placed in a "Top 50 category" than some in the OP link I provided. ... ;
This would be in the top ten ....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Longest Day is a 1962 American epic war film, shot in black and white and based on Cornelius Ryan's 1959 non-fiction book of the same name[3] about the D-Day landings at Normandy on June 6, 1944. The film was produced by Darryl F. Zanuck, who paid author Ryan $175,000 for the film rights.[4] The screenplay was by Ryan, with additional material written by Romain Gary, James Jones, David Pursall, and Jack Seddon. It was directed by Ken Annakin (British and French exteriors), Andrew Marton (American exteriors), and Bernhard Wicki (German scenes).

The Longest Day features a large international ensemble cast including John Wayne, Kenneth More, Richard Todd, Robert Mitchum, Richard Burton, Steve Forrest, Sean Connery, Henry Fonda, Red Buttons, Peter Lawford, Eddie Albert, Jeffrey Hunter, Stuart Whitman, Tom Tryon, Rod Steiger, Leo Genn, Gert Fröbe, Irina Demick, Bourvil, Curd Jürgens, George Segal, Robert Wagner, Paul Anka, and Arletty. Many of these actors played roles that were essentially cameo appearances. In addition, several cast members had seen action as servicemen during the war, including Albert, Fonda, Genn, More, Steiger, and Todd; Todd was among the first British officers to land in Normandy in Operation Overlord, and he participated in the assault on Pegasus Bridge.

The film employed several Axis and Allied military consultants who had been actual participants on D-Day, and many had their roles re-enacted in the film. These included Günther Blumentritt (a former German general), James M. Gavin (an American general), Frederick Morgan (Deputy Chief of Staff at SHAEF), John Howard (who led the airborne assault on the Pegasus Bridge), Lord Lovat (who commanded the 1st Special Service Brigade), Philippe Kieffer (who led his men in the assault on Ouistreham), Marie-Pierre Kœnig (who commanded the Free French Forces in the invasion), Max Pemsel (a German general), Werner Pluskat (the major who was the first German officer to see the invasion fleet), Josef "Pips" Priller (the hot-headed pilot), and Lucie Rommel (widow of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel).

The film won two Academy Awards and was nominated for three others.

Another in the "Top Ten" ...
A Bridge Too Far is a 1977 epic war film based on the 1974 book of the same name, directed by Richard Attenborough and with a screenplay by William Goldman.[5] Produced by Joseph E. Levine and Richard P. Levine, it was the second film based on a book by historian Cornelius Ryan to be adapted for the screen (after 1962's The Longest Day).[6] It was the second film based on the events of World War II's failed Operation Market Garden (after 1946's Theirs Is the Glory).[7]

The ensemble cast includes Dirk Bogarde, James Caan, Michael Caine, Sean Connery, Edward Fox, Elliott Gould, Gene Hackman, Anthony Hopkins, Hardy Krüger, Laurence Olivier, Ryan O'Neal, Robert Redford, Maximilian Schell and Liv Ullmann. Though it received a tepid critical response, the film received several awards: at the 31st BAFTA Awards it won four out of eight categories, including Fox for Best Supporting Actor and John Addison—who himself had served in the British XXX Corps during Market Garden—for Best Score.

An unusual submission here, of sorts, but underscores the common experience of "grunts" in any army and any war, whom often had no say in the situation, just had to show up and serve their country ...
... If not a "Top Ten"; than a "Top Twenty" ...
Cross of Iron (German: Steiner – Das Eiserne Kreuz, lit. "Steiner – The Iron Cross") is a 1977 war film directed by Sam Peckinpah, featuring James Coburn, Maximilian Schell, James Mason and David Warner. Set in late 1943 on the Eastern Front in World War II, the film focuses on the class conflict between a newly arrived, aristocratic Prussian officer who covets winning the Iron Cross and a cynical, battle-hardened infantry NCO.

An international co-production between British and West German financiers, the film's exteriors were shot on location in Yugoslavia.

Several authentic WWII version M-4 Sherman tanks in this one, along with other era vehicles and some rather gritty scences and episodes. One of the more realistic and recent "war movies". ...
Fury is a 2014 American war film written and directed by David Ayer, and starring Brad Pitt, Shia LaBeouf, Logan Lerman, Michael Peña, Jon Bernthal, Jason Isaacs and Scott Eastwood. The film portrays U.S. tank crews fighting in Germany during the final weeks of the European theater of World War II. Ayer was influenced by the service of veterans in his family and by reading books, such as Belton Y. Cooper's Death Traps, about American armored units in World War II and the high casualty rates suffered by tank crews in Europe.

Production began in early September 2013, in Hertfordshire, England, followed by principal photography on September 30, 2013, in Oxfordshire. Filming continued for a month-and-a-half at different locations, which included the city of Oxford, and concluded on November 13. Fury was released on October 17, 2014, received positive reviews, and grossed $211 million worldwide.

So, ... both a novel and film, yet in a way an essential message regarding the concepts and contradictions of "war" ...
Catch-22 is a satirical war novel by American author Joseph Heller. He began writing it in 1953; the novel was first published in 1961. Often cited as one of the most significant novels of the twentieth century,[2] it uses a distinctive non-chronological third-person omniscient narration, describing events from the points of view of different characters. The separate storylines are out of sequence so the timeline develops along with the plot.

The novel is set during World War II, from 1942 to 1944. It mainly follows the life of antihero Captain John Yossarian, a U.S. Army Air Forces B-25 bombardier. Most of the events in the book occur while the fictional 256th US Army Air Squadron is based on the island of Pianosa, in the Mediterranean Sea west of Italy, though it also covers episodes from basic training at Lowry Field in Colorado and Air Corps training at Santa Ana Army Air Base in California. The novel examines the absurdity of war and military life through the experiences of Yossarian and his cohorts, who attempt to maintain their sanity while fulfilling their service requirements so that they may return home.

The book was made into a film adaptation in 1970, directed by Mike Nichols. In 1994, Heller published a sequel to the 1961 novel entitled Closing Time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Film ...
Amazon product
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are scores of references and links on the 'net regards "Catch 22" since it is a book/novel, a film/movie, and a common term/phrase, etc. ...

Though part satire, it is also in a way part truth to many whom have been through the political~government~military machinery of conflict~war and it's results consequences.

~ This could be theme for a thread of it's own ... ~\
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Remains one of my favorite "war movies" because they revived about 16-17 old B-25s to flying condition to make the movie and provided a great "jump start" to the WWII Warbird movement!

Forum List

Back