Fat Acceptance Movement?

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
You learn something new everyday. I had no idea there was a fat acceptance movement, I assumed advocates came from numerous organizations.

And yes this is from a Feminist magazine.

Becky1 has been active in the fat acceptance movement for a good half-dozen years. She attends and organizes awareness-raising events, takes part in her local fat social scene, and fights to end discrimination against fat people with a powerful combination of weary sadness and righteous anger. She wears her weight like well-adorned armor, betraying no sense of regret or shame in her 480-pound body.

Becky also has an eating disorder. When I asked her how she reconciles these two parts of her life, she replied simply, “I don’t.” Becky hasn’t “come out” about her eating disorder to her peers in the fat acceptance movement and has no plans to do so anytime soon. A binge eater who uses food as a control mechanism, Becky literally shakes when discussing what would happen if she were “found out” within the movement. “That kind of stuff just isn’t talked about,” she explains. “If I actually admitted that I can’t control when or what I eat, and that I hate myself because of it…. I mean, you’re kidding, right?”

The stories of other women prove that Becky’s misgivings are unfortunately justified. Susan, a recovering bulimic, was actually kicked out of a social group for fat lesbians when she started following the food plan given to her by a nutritionist. She was called a traitor and told she was “giving up her soul” with her new regimen, since it meant that she might lose weight as a result of her changed behaviors. “I thought I was losing bad habits, not friends,” Susan laments. “What I discovered is that it’s just not okay to talk about the fact that some people are fat because they have serious problems with food. I was [called] fatphobic, but really I was just trying to save my own life.”

I’ve talked to more than a dozen women like Becky and Susan, all of whom are active in the fat acceptance movement, and all of whom identify as eating disordered. Each feels certain that she would no longer be welcome in the fat acceptance community if she were honest about her sickness.

How has the political and social climate of the fat acceptance movement become one in which its members are legitimately afraid that they will be rejected from the community if they openly acknowledge their diseases?

Big Trouble | Bitch Magazine

You learn something new everyday. I had no idea there was a fat acceptance movement, I assumed advocates came from numerous organizations.

Becky1 has been active in the fat acceptance movement for a good half-dozen years. She attends and organizes awareness-raising events, takes part in her local fat social scene, and fights to end discrimination against fat people with a powerful combination of weary sadness and righteous anger. She wears her weight like well-adorned armor, betraying no sense of regret or shame in her 480-pound body.

Becky also has an eating disorder. When I asked her how she reconciles these two parts of her life, she replied simply, “I don’t.” Becky hasn’t “come out” about her eating disorder to her peers in the fat acceptance movement and has no plans to do so anytime soon. A binge eater who uses food as a control mechanism, Becky literally shakes when discussing what would happen if she were “found out” within the movement. “That kind of stuff just isn’t talked about,” she explains. “If I actually admitted that I can’t control when or what I eat, and that I hate myself because of it…. I mean, you’re kidding, right?”

The stories of other women prove that Becky’s misgivings are unfortunately justified. Susan, a recovering bulimic, was actually kicked out of a social group for fat lesbians when she started following the food plan given to her by a nutritionist. She was called a traitor and told she was “giving up her soul” with her new regimen, since it meant that she might lose weight as a result of her changed behaviors. “I thought I was losing bad habits, not friends,” Susan laments. “What I discovered is that it’s just not okay to talk about the fact that some people are fat because they have serious problems with food. I was [called] fatphobic, but really I was just trying to save my own life.”

I’ve talked to more than a dozen women like Becky and Susan, all of whom are active in the fat acceptance movement, and all of whom identify as eating disordered. Each feels certain that she would no longer be welcome in the fat acceptance community if she were honest about her sickness.

How has the political and social climate of the fat acceptance movement become one in which its members are legitimately afraid that they will be rejected from the community if they openly acknowledge their diseases?

stop reading those magazines, woman ! You'll go mad !

stop reading those magazines, woman ! You'll go mad !

Ok.

Some people who are fat REALLY can't help it. But, they don't represent that vast majority of people who are fat.

I think it is also important to recognize that Americans (and perhaps, the rest of the world) have very fucked up body image issues.

It was interesting to me to work with Tongans and Samoans. To the average Tongan man, beautiful = big. In the Islands, being large is a sign of wealth.

In the U.S., increasingly, fat is a sign of poverty. The rich are thin because they have the time to exercise and access to healthier food.

For me, at least, I think it would be an improvement if we focused on being HEALTHY, versus thin.

Some people who are fat REALLY can't help it. But, they don't represent that vast majority of people who are fat.

I think it is also important to recognize that Americans (and perhaps, the rest of the world) have very fucked up body image issues.

It was interesting to me to work with Tongans and Samoans. To the average Tongan man, beautiful = big. In the Islands, being large is a sign of wealth.

In the U.S., increasingly, fat is a sign of poverty. The rich are thin because they have the time to exercise and access to healthier food.

For me, at least, I think it would be an improvement if we focused on being HEALTHY, versus thin.

So where are all the pictures of healthy people ? :lol:

I'm crusading for the Fat Rejection Movement, personally (and really personally, on and off).

Fat is disgusting. It's unhealthy. It's unnatural. There can be obsessions with thinness, but this is not our main problem. Just go to the mall and look around. To me, it's a sign of a fucked-up, diseased culture. No exercise. Too much TV. Junk food. If nothing else, it just freakin' looks bad.

I'll say this about the Mulatto Messiah: he's in shape.

Last edited:
I accept fat women for what they are.

I am even sympathetic to their claim that there is nothing they can do to lose weight because I have seen many woman who can't lose weight no matter what they do.

I still won't have sex with them.

Does that make me a bad person?

I accept fat women for what they are.

I am even sympathetic to their claim that there is nothing they can do to lose weight because I have seen many woman who can't lose weight no matter what they do.

I still won't have sex with them.

Does that make me a bad person?

I see nothing wrong with being selective about who you are attracted to and are intimate with. I don't have sex with fat men. My lifestyle includes taking care of my body, lifting weights, and running, and I would not have a lot of respect for a man who didn't take care of himself.

I guess when I say healthy, I think someone like Catherine Zeta Jones versus the latest heroin addict scary skinny super high fashion model. A woman who is in shape, with curves.

Last edited:
Here is the gist of it all:

Fat people may or may not be beautiful, it is in the eye of the beholder.
Fat people who accept themselves tend to be well adjusted and quite cool (my best friend is one).
Fat people who complain about being fat are either lazy idiots or denialists.
Fat people are normally no less healthy than us skinny fucks, actually, if you go by the BMI crap people who classify as fat generally have better health, the extremely fat though have about the same number of health issues as us scrwanny fucks.

Oh, and in case you didn't get it, I hate being skinny, and I have several health problems caused by being under weight, though according to the BMI I am average ... whatever, I would rather be fat and healthy.
Watch Penn and Tellers: Bullshit on Fat People ... it's a great episode and dismisses a LOT of myths.

d_7387.jpg

I don't think we need a fat acceptance movement, i think we need a eat less and exercise more movement.

I suspect that a lot of people are hypothyroid and not even know it. Not only that a new normal reference TSH range from 0.5 to 2.5 mIU/L has been adopted but not all labs or doctor's even know this. One of the chief symptoms out of many is weight gain and unable to lose it no matter how much they eat less or exercise.​

I also want to add that the studies shows that the majority of people do well with no symptoms with their TSH level at or below 1.0 mIU/L. Why I had a doctor who saw my labs of a 6.84 and thought I was normal. After a year of HELL, another doctor started me on meds. 6.84 isn't very high but enough to put on pounds and have the classic symptoms of Hypothyroidism.

I suspect that a lot of people are hypothyroid and not even know it. Not only that a new normal reference TSH range from 0.5 to 2.5 mIU/L has been adopted but not all labs or doctor's even know this. One of the chief symptoms out of many is weight gain and unable to lose it no matter how much they eat less or exercise.​

I don't know anything about science so that all flew over my head. What I do know is that everytime you hear about someone that was starved while they were in a prison they lost weight. I'm not saying people should starve themselves, I'm just saying that it sounds like BS to me when people say they can't lose weight no matter what they do. It seems like I usually hear people say it between bites of their bacon double cheesburger which has enough calories for 3 meals in it. Then they top it off with some fries and chocolate shake. All this happens over a wild game on the XBox too. So, ok, maybe there are a handful of people who really can't do anything about it but I don't believe it about the vast majority. And when there's nothing you can do there's still surgery.

The diet industry has made a fortune on the "fat scare", which is just sick. In reality, most fat people do eat healthy, based on what or species is suppose to eat. My best friend ... even she falls for it sometimes and I have to remind her not to ... eats LESS than I do and is far more active, I am just over half her weight. People will be the weight they are suppose to be, no matter what they do, you can't and shouldn't change it. Those surgeries are the worst, they are VERY dangerous and unnatural, yet they get billions per year.
MEGAVIDEO - I'm watching it

I don't know anything about science so that all flew over my head. What I do know is that everytime you hear about someone that was starved while they were in a prison they lost weight. I'm not saying people should starve themselves, I'm just saying that it sounds like BS to me when people say they can't lose weight no matter what they do. It seems like I usually hear people say it between bites of their bacon double cheesburger which has enough calories for 3 meals in it. Then they top it off with some fries and chocolate shake. All this happens over a wild game on the XBox too. So, ok, maybe there are a handful of people who really can't do anything about it but I don't believe it about the vast majority. And when there's nothing you can do there's still surgery.
It sounds to me that those people with eating habbits like that you are lumping them in one mold of all fat people. That is not the case. People with thyroid problems cannot loose weight no matter what they do.

I've been 103 lbs all my life, I couldn't gain a pound no matter what I ate. (suspected hyperthyroid at the time) within 3 weeks I put on 23 lbs and my diet didn't change. I took in few calories, with other symptoms I was finally diagnosed with Hypothoridism. I've read up on the subject and there are many people out there that are overweight not because of diet and lack of exercise but indead their thyroid. Read up on it.

Forum List

Back