Fastow Getting Ready to Rat out Lay?

W

wonderwench

I have had several long debates in recent months with a few people who claim that Bush is protecting Ken Lay from judifical proceedings in the Enron Scandal.

My argument is that the Enron investigation is similar to those involving organized crime. Prosecutors have to work their way up the org chart in order to get a big enough fish to slip on the boss.

Fastow just may be the one.

Authorities were preparing a criminal complaint against Enron Corp.'s former chief accountant, while former finance chief Andrew Fastow was negotiating a plea deal that would send him to prison, sources close to the case told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Richard A. Causey, the former chief accounting officer at the fallen energy giant, was expected to surrender to federal authorities Thursday, sources with knowledge of the matter said, speaking on condition of anonymity. The exact nature of the complaint was not immediately clear.

Causey and another executive were assigned to review all Enron transactions with a partnership called LJM, devised by Fastow.

If prosecutors, defense attorneys and the judges presiding over the cases agree on the proposed plea deal, Fastow could appear in court to change his innocent plea to guilty as early as Thursday, sources close to the case told The AP on condition of anonymity.

Fastow would be the highest ranking executive to plead guilty in the criminal investigation of Enron's 2001 collapse.

The Houston Chronicle, citing sources it did not identify, reported Wednesday that federal prosecutors are offering Fastow a 10-year sentence. A plea deal that called for a five-month sentence for his wife, Lea, was rejected by U.S. District Judge David Hittner Wednesday afternoon. Hittner said the deal was too binding and he wanted more leeway on her sentence.

Attorneys for the Fastows did not return calls seeking comment. The family's spokesman, Gordon Andrew, declined comment.

Fastow, 42, is charged with 98 counts of fraud, money laundering, insider trading and other charges for allegedly masterminding a web of schemes that hid Enron's debt, inflated profits and allowed him to skim millions of dollars for himself, his family and selected friends and colleagues. He is free on $5 million bond pending trial scheduled for April.

Negotiated pleas often involve agreements to testify against others, and federal prosecutors are under pressure to develop cases against Enron's former top executives, Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling. However, there was no immediate indication whether any such arrangement was part of a deal with Fastow.

When Fastow was indicted in October 2002, his lawyers said Skilling and Lay approved his work.

Neither Skilling, who abruptly quit as chief executive nearly four months before Enron filed for bankruptcy in the fall of 2001, nor Lay, the company's founder who resigned in January 2002, have been charged with any crimes. Both maintain their innocence in the implosion that that resulted in thousands of layoffs and dozens of lawsuits.

Lea Fastow, 42, was formerly assistant treasurer at Houston-based Enron. She is set to go to trial Feb. 10 on six counts of conspiracy and filing false tax forms.

In fact, prospective jurors were scheduled to report to the courthouse Thursday to answer a questionnaire to see if they are fit to serve as jurors in her case.

Causey, 43, was fired Feb. 14, 2002, after a board of directors report noted his failure to properly monitor the LJM partnership, which became a focal point for investigators looking into alleged misdeeds by Fastow.

Causey's attorney, Reid Weingarten, did not immediately return a call.

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/ENRON_FASTOW?SITE=DCTMS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I just heard on radio news that the judge denied the plea arrangement and jury selection will commence on the morrow. I'll try to find a web link later.

Bummer! 10 years would be a decent price to pay to get the goods on Lay and Skilling. I am surprised.

The WSJ had a blurb on this. It looks like what Fastow is trying to arrange is that his wife is out of jail before he starts his sentence so that she will be able to take care of their two sons.

Maybe he should have thought about his kids before he engaged in committing fraud.

untouchables......the best criminals have left no bread crumbs or misleading bread crumbs.....ask lee harvey oswald ........oh, wait, you can't cause he's dead.....gerald ford is still alive though......he should be in jail for the cover up, is gerald ford a freemason? EARL WARREN was, LBJ was..........I smell a rat

sorry guys, this jfk stuff is still haunting me......I spent nov/dec researching the jfk assasination......I spent more time on the matter than most americans did watching football during those 2 months.....go read this book---- blood, money and power. how LBJ killed JFK......it was written by one of LBJ's LAWYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who also happens to be the FATHER of G.W. bush's CURRENT PRESS SECRETARY!!!!!!!!!!Barr Mc Clellan, father of Scott Mc Clellan go look it up!!!!!!!dont take my word, PROVE Barr wrong!!!!!! if I can just spark one of you into research and QUESTIONS, all the abuse I take might be worth it

Get a grip. Everyone knows that the Mafia offed JFK.

:p:

ok you have fallen for the misleading bread crumbs......LBJ did it through the criminal underworld.....

you sheep make me sick........literally. I'm out of here

I think this deal will get done - and Fastow will squeal on Skilling and Lay.

This is going to be quite interesting to observe.

Especially the reactions of those who claim Bush is protecting Lay.

Not that I've kept up with the story but since andrew and his wife will be at least 5 million richer for his crimes (500k a year/in prison isn't a bad salary) I wonder how much Ken Lay and the others will get to keep in the end?

How much is missing 10 years of his children growing up worth?

Personally, I think all of their fraudulent profits should be disgorged. But without cooperation from insiders, the investigation to get the bigger cheeses will go nowhere.

I hope Lay and Skilling get what is coming to them. We'll just have to see how this plays out.

...That once Ken Lay gets caught in the crosshairs he'll out Dubbyuh for the lowlife bit of excrement that he truly is. GO ANDY GO!

Originally posted by wonderwench
How much is missing 10 years of his children growing up worth?

Personally, I think all of their fraudulent profits should be disgorged. But without cooperation from insiders, the investigation to get the bigger cheeses will go nowhere.

I hope Lay and Skilling get what is coming to them. We'll just have to see how this plays out.

10 years of missing his children? I hardly think its worth 10 mil that didn't belong to him in the first place. As a lot of conservatives like to say, he should have thought about that before he stole the cash.

I agree with you on the disgorging part. I would even take it a step further and not only remove every dime that they stole, but THEN pay the fine out of their legitimately obtained wealth.

Any one want to bet that if Dubyah gets beat in 2004, he'll pardon Ken Lay before he leaves office? I'd put twenty bucks on it.

Ken Lay and Dubyah go back many, many years. Ken Lay was one of the single largest donors to the Bush/Cheney campaign in 2000, as were many of his Enron cronies. Lay will be pardoned by Bush, but only if he loses, otherwise he'll have to wait until 2008, but hey legal maneuvering can keep him out of the clink until then.

acludem

Forum List

Back