Family Values Redux

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
I feel even more certain about this now. Palin is the pefect choice for McCain, btw. I hadn't realized he put his ambition ahead of his family...and I have to thank Shogun for learning me this...in much the same way Palin is now putting her ambition over her family.

McCain - crippled wife, young children disposed to further his political career.

Palin - crippled kid, young children - one pregnant, set aside to further her political career.

Not that there is anything wrong with ambition, per se. It's just that some ambition is nothing more than selfish power grubbing.

I don't give a crap about their families.

It is kinda funny that McCain is a serial adulterer who left a crippled wife, for a woman 20 years his junior. And its funny that Palin thinks kids should be taught "abstinence only" sex ed, and her daughter gets pregnant. And this is the Party that hounded Bill Clinton for a decade of sexual issues.

The thing that really bothers me is that Palen is a far rightwing theocratic nut job, and McCain has sold his soul to the religious rightwing.

I don't give a crap about their families.

It is kinda funny that McCain is a serial adulterer who left a crippled wife, for a woman 20 years his junior. And its funny that Palin thinks kids should be taught "abstinence only" sex ed, and her daughter gets pregnant. And this is the Party that hounded Bill Clinton for a decade of sexual issues.

The thing that really bothers me is that Palen is a far rightwing theocratic nut job, and McCain has sold his soul to the religious rightwing.

It's not that I care about their families, especially. It's that I don't care to vote for people that treat their families in this manner.

Yes, they do have other troubling features.

Biden 1973 - single dad with two young sons - remained in the senate, even though he had to commute 100 miles each way everyday, and get home after dinner every night

Still, I don't hold that against Biden, just as I don't hold Palin's situation against her now.

but seriously, you Dems are pathetic

the economy's in the tank, one of the least popular presidents in history is sitting in the white house, the current nominee is admittedly clueless on financial matters, yet you're still bringing up bullshit issues

Biden 1973 - single dad with two young sons - remained in the senate, even though he had to commute 100 miles each way everyday, and get home after dinner every night

Still, I don't hold that against Biden, just as I don't hold Palin's situation against her now.

but seriously, you Dems are pathetic

the economy's in the tank, one of the least popular presidents in history is sitting in the white house, the current nominee is admittedly clueless on financial matters, yet you're still bringing up bullshit issues
One person's bullshit issue is meaningful to some one else, fuck you very much.

The economy is in the tank, yep. And it's not going to improve anytime soon no matter who is elected.

And its funny that Palin thinks kids should be taught "abstinence only" sex ed, and her daughter gets pregnant. And this is the Party that hounded Bill Clinton for a decade of sexual issues.

If only little Bristol had learned to gobble the grib nut, she wouldn't be in this predickament! Thanks to Erwillian C, that's not even considered sex anymore! :rofl:

I feel even more certain about this now. Palin is the pefect choice for McCain, btw. I hadn't realized he put his ambition ahead of his family...and I have to thank Shogun for learning me this...in much the same way Palin is now putting her ambition over her family.

McCain - crippled wife, young children disposed to further his political career.

Palin - crippled kid, young children - one pregnant, set aside to further her political career.

Not that there is anything wrong with ambition, per se. It's just that some ambition is nothing more than selfish power grubbing.

Too hilarious. So you were never aware that politicians would actually give their ambition and career plans such priority, huh? Or do you think its just McCain and Palin? LOL What do you think Obama has done with his I wonder? His ambition somehow more "pure" to you? LOL Or Clinton, Carter, JFK, Ford etc. -all of whom had minor children when their fathers held the Presidency and it meant not having a normal family life, their children being in the spotlight every time they walked outside -and always hearing their parent say the smarmy political-speak in public instead of talking like a real person. Think both Clintons didn't put their ambitions well ahead of anything else? Ha. They have to be the most power hungry pair I've seen.

High elected offices require candidates with that kind of extreme ambition. Because by holding that office they have in effect agreed to forgo a typical life for themselves and their family. Not a job I want because I refuse to forgo my own kind of family life for a job -any job. But we all know people who value their careers so highly they willingly forgo much in their private lives -it doesn't just happen with politicians.

Clearly there are plenty of politicians with families who have built an entirely different kind of support structure that meets their family's needs at the same time. Unless there are people and families who are willing to do so, we couldn't possibly expect to get a President able to put the welfare of faceless millions before some personal family crisis. God help us all if we should ever end up with someone in the White House who can't do that. I don't want my President running out of the Situation Room during a national crisis because their child has the flu and wants Daddy to tuck him in bed. I expect that President to already have a built-in support system to meet his family's needs so it leaves him free to handle that national crisis as his job requires and demands of him.

It amazes me that the children of people who have held the highest offices so often turn out very well. So having an extremely ambitious parent who has built a different kind of support structure for their family must not be a death sentence for turning out healthy and independent kids after all. McCain's children seem to be doing well for themselves in spite of McCain's long Senate service and several attempts at running for President. Perhaps most amazing to me is that Chelsea Clinton with two extremely ambitious parents seems to have turned out very well, JFK, Jr. (the accident that killed him aside) apprently turned out pretty well and in spite of the lifelong media spotlight on him.

Our own personal choices for the kind of family life and support structure we want does not mean that if someone else with their family makes a different choice and creates a totally different kind of support structure -that decision is automatically bad and wrong. For many who have done so, it works out surprisingly well for them and their families after all. Even though it is still not something I would ever choose for my own family.

I invite you to reread my OP and give it another shot. Nothing you've posted actually relates to the point I made.

Hey, why don't we discuss the families of Hillary Clinton, Obama, and Biden?

Particularly Obama. You know, the son of the POLYGAMIST (and I know how you feel about polygamists, Ravi) who has 7 LIVING siblings scattered across the globe....including some in very questionable circumstances.

Let's talk about Michelle, who with a budget of a little over $2 mill came up with a great plan to help out the poorest of the poor in her hospital's ER by paying herself $375,000, taking a year off to help with Obama's campaign, and arranging for the patients to be sent to different hospitals.

So whose watching the girls? The FIENDS! The MONSTERS! How dare they pursue their own interests while those little girls are running wild, unloved, rejected and neglected.....

Of course they are.

And I like your parallel between those with special needs kids and "dysfunction".

And, p.s., Down's syndrome is not synonymous with "crippled" you bigoted hack.

Of course they are.

And I like your parallel between those with special needs kids and "dysfunction".

And, p.s., Down's syndrome is not synonymous with "crippled" you bigoted hack.
Mentally crippled. But you are correct, I should have written that both McCain and Palin are both guilty of putting aside the handicapped members of their families in their quest for power.

I'll make an effort to be more pc.

Give it up. You just look foolish, and nobody is ever going to take anything you say seriously again.

Oh, that's nice.

The compassionate and caring party.

Have you ever even been in a room with a Down's kid?
What exactly are you asking me? Jeesh.

I have a friend with a retarded kid.

And yes, mentally crippled fits. But I will be happy to refer to baby Palin in the more pc term of your choice.

I dont disagree with you on McCain but on Palin, her son Trig is not crippled. He has down syndrome. Down Syndrome children can go on to live happy productive lives and they are usually some of the most loving and affectionate people on this earth. Gentle souls indeed!

I do agree that both put their ambition before their families....

I love how libs accuse us of trying to run other people's lives, when they are, themselves, the most backwards and bigoted of them all.

Ravi having a cow because Sarah Palin has a mentally crippled, retarded kid and pregnant daughter and should stay home and keep them out of sight!

Forum List

Back